Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AA: The belief that URM's are inherently inferior, and can't compete  (Read 22425 times)

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
Re: AA: The belief that URM's are inherently inferior, and can't compete
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 12:33:20 PM »
male anti-intellectualism?

The argument is not "whether AA works" it is "should AA continue." The answer for women is a clear no, at least in most educational settings (science still has some work to do).

Arguing about whether AA has benefited women is just a way of avoiding the more uncomfortable race issues underlying the current debate about AA.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2009, 12:49:37 PM »
Arguing about whether AA has benefited women is just a way of avoiding the more uncomfortable race issues underlying the current debate about AA.

I roughly agree with this as it applies to this thread and threads like it, though such a discussion may be worthwhile in assessing the value of affirmative action programs.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2009, 12:58:56 PM »

I roughly agree with this as it applies to this thread and threads like it, though such a discussion may be worthwhile in assessing the value of affirmative action programs.

LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2009, 02:00:41 PM »
male anti-intellectualism?

The argument is not "whether AA works" it is "should AA continue." The answer for women is a clear no, at least in most educational settings (science still has some work to do).

I don't know about that; it seems if at one time there was affirmative action for women, and such affirmative action produced "good" results, then that would be a persuasive argument for the continuation of affirmative action in the racial context.  If, however, affirmative action has not helped women achieve rough equality in post-secondary education, perhaps they relied on something else.  And knowing this something else might be beneficial in helping blacks achieve the same sort of equality for themselves.
The main partner in their Entertainment Law group went to CLS, but he was Fiske and on LR, so be careful.  You don't want to set yourself goals that are too high.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2009, 02:05:53 PM »
That assumes you believe there is a genuine disparity. Most opponents of AA do not. Instead they believe that anyone who wants to succeed can do so through hard work. (Thanks, Kalvin!!  >:()
LSN

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2009, 02:07:09 PM »
I don't know about that; it seems if at one time there was affirmative action for women, and such affirmative action produced "good" results, then that would be a persuasive argument for the continuation of affirmative action in the racial context.  If, however, affirmative action has not helped women achieve rough equality in post-secondary education, perhaps they relied on something else.  And knowing this something else might be beneficial in helping blacks achieve the same sort of equality for themselves.

This is basically what I said or meant.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2009, 02:26:29 PM »

Oh, we agree!  And in an affirmative action thread, too! 
The main partner in their Entertainment Law group went to CLS, but he was Fiske and on LR, so be careful.  You don't want to set yourself goals that are too high.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2009, 02:57:08 PM »

Oh, we agree!  And in an affirmative action thread, too! 

Kumbaya!

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2009, 05:59:45 PM »
I think it's a crime when people aren't able to continue to take important and necessary medications because the healthcare system is all screwed up.

So tell your doctor to rewrite your perscription. You'll be ok. 

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2009, 06:34:25 PM »
Well, howarya all doooiiinnn toooodddaaaayyyyy? (waves hand)

Have I ever told you guys, how much I love you? I really do. You make me stronger...you make me a believer...you light up my life...you give me hope...to carry on...you light up my day...ladidadidah!

Uh, ahem?
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.