Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AA: The belief that URM's are inherently inferior, and can't compete  (Read 23040 times)

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
On their own, no matter how privileged and advantaged they might be. 

Gotta love rich, racist white libs.

Pattycake

• View Profile
Re: AA: The belief that URM's are inherently inferior, and can't compete
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 01:51:06 AM »
Do you want to want to put to test that Under-Represented Minorities can't compete? The result will shock you! It's comments like these that promote the racist idea that all URMs can't compete. I dare you! By the way, I'm black.

SwEep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 04:49:05 PM »
Do you want to want to put to test that Under-Represented Minorities can't compete? The result will shock you! It's comments like these that promote the racist idea that all URMs can't compete. I dare you! By the way, I'm black.

so pick one. URMs are competent enough and don't need the crutch, or they need the crutch and are not competent.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 11:07:45 PM »

I believe they can compete.  Which is why I oppose applying different standards to them. 

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 01:49:01 AM »

I believe they can compete.  Which is why I oppose applying different standards to them. 

While I applaud you on your confidence in minorities, AA is not a "crutch"; it is an acknowledgement for PAST injustices that put certain groups (including white women, its primary beneficiaries) behind socioeconomically in American society. Those PAST injustices have led to intergenrational conditions that hinder the progress of today's "competent minorities" (as you say).

White (male) America must pay not only for the slavery that benefitted it greatly, but, for the Jim Crow Laws that existed until the 1960's and hindered the great-grandparents, grandparents, and parents of the URM's you say deserve no benefits. If your grandfather had a set of laws designed to specifically deny him an education, a job, heck, even free mobility and basic human rights, you would want justice, too.   

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 08:44:03 AM »
(including white women, its primary beneficiaries)

All right, this has been troubling me for a while now.  What's the source for this?  The only report I've been able to find on this is a DoL statement from 1995.  Is there anything to suggest that this is still true?
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 08:50:33 AM »
(including white women, its primary beneficiaries)

All right, this has been troubling me for a while now.  What's the source for this?  The only report I've been able to find on this is a DoL statement from 1995.  Is there anything to suggest that this is still true?

There's no source for it because it's inaccurate, at least as referring to college and professional school admissions.  You may be interested in this thread where this claim was discussed and/or thrown around without support.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

txn_20

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 06:39:49 PM »

While I applaud you on your confidence in minorities, AA is not a "crutch"; it is an acknowledgement for PAST injustices that put certain groups (including white women, its primary beneficiaries) behind socioeconomically in American society. Those PAST injustices have led to intergenrational conditions that hinder the progress of today's "competent minorities" (as you say).

White (male) America must pay not only for the slavery that benefitted them greatly, but, for the Jim Crow Laws that existed until the 1960's and hindered the great-grandparents, grandparents, and parents of the URM's you say deserve no benefits. If your grandfather had a set of laws designed to specifically deny him an education, a job, heck, even free mobility and basic human rights, you would want justice, too.   

Why must I pay for a crime I did not commit?  Since URMs (especially blacks) are more likely to commit a crime using a gun, should you have to pay for that if you are black?

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 10:38:23 PM »

White (male) America must pay not only for the slavery that benefitted them greatly, but, for the Jim Crow Laws that existed until the 1960's and hindered the great-grandparents, grandparents, and parents of the URM's you say deserve no benefits. If your grandfather had a set of laws designed to specifically deny him an education, a job, heck, even free mobility and basic human rights, you would want justice, too. 

Why must I pay for a crime I did not commit?  Since URMs (especially blacks) are more likely to commit a crime using a gun, should you have to pay for that if you are black?

But you HAVE benefitted from those injustices. And where do you get that statistic about the gun use? I would love to see the data. Besides, you undermine your own argument. The fact is, Blacks and other URM's didn't create guns, the culture of gun use (which started in Europe during the fall of the Roman Empire), nor the laws that allow them to pervade our streets. Lastly, URM's do not own the planes and ships that fly and float the guns into our country, nor do they own (or even work at) the factories in which they are constructed. Maybe the true sources of those things would be a good starting point for the direction of your frustration.