Specific Groups / Issues > Affirmative Action

AA: The belief that URM's are inherently inferior, and can't compete

(1/14) > >>

Lindbergh:
On their own, no matter how privileged and advantaged they might be. 

Gotta love rich, racist white libs.

Pattycake:
Do you want to want to put to test that Under-Represented Minorities can't compete? The result will shock you! It's comments like these that promote the racist idea that all URMs can't compete. I dare you! By the way, I'm black.

SwEep:

--- Quote from: Pattycake on August 13, 2008, 01:51:06 AM ---Do you want to want to put to test that Under-Represented Minorities can't compete? The result will shock you! It's comments like these that promote the racist idea that all URMs can't compete. I dare you! By the way, I'm black.

--- End quote ---

so pick one. URMs are competent enough and don't need the crutch, or they need the crutch and are not competent.

Lindbergh:

--- Quote from: Pattycake on August 13, 2008, 01:51:06 AM ---Do you want to want to put to test that Under-Represented Minorities can't compete? The result will shock you! It's comments like these that promote the racist idea that all URMs can't compete. I dare you! By the way, I'm black.

--- End quote ---

I believe they can compete.  Which is why I oppose applying different standards to them. 

LawDog3:

--- Quote from: Lindbergh on September 14, 2008, 11:07:45 PM ---

--- End quote ---

I believe they can compete.  Which is why I oppose applying different standards to them. 

--- End quote ---

While I applaud you on your confidence in minorities, AA is not a "crutch"; it is an acknowledgement for PAST injustices that put certain groups (including white women, its primary beneficiaries) behind socioeconomically in American society. Those PAST injustices have led to intergenrational conditions that hinder the progress of today's "competent minorities" (as you say).

White (male) America must pay not only for the slavery that benefitted it greatly, but, for the Jim Crow Laws that existed until the 1960's and hindered the great-grandparents, grandparents, and parents of the URM's you say deserve no benefits. If your grandfather had a set of laws designed to specifically deny him an education, a job, heck, even free mobility and basic human rights, you would want justice, too.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version