Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Imagine how much better race relations would be w/o racial AA  (Read 6606 times)

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Whites and asians would universally respect the achievements of URM's.  No URM achievements would be stigmatized.  Truly disadvantaged URMs (and whites, asians, etc.) could he assisted in a non-racist manner.  People would be in positions where they belonged, and could handle the work.  Employers could trust that a degree meant exactly what it was supposed to mean.

What a harmonious world it would be!

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
Re: Imagine how much better race relations would be w/o racial AA
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 08:24:08 AM »
Whites and asians would universally respect the achievements of URM's.  No URM achievements would be stigmatized.  Truly disadvantaged URMs (and whites, asians, etc.) could he assisted in a non-racist manner. People would be in positions where they belonged, and could handle the work.  Employers could trust that a degree meant exactly what it was supposed to mean.

Flame.

YLS c/o 2009

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:34:49 AM »
Whites and asians would universally respect the achievements of URM's.  No URM achievements would be stigmatized.  Truly disadvantaged URMs (and whites, asians, etc.) could he assisted in a non-racist manner. People would be in positions where they belonged, and could handle the work.  Employers could trust that a degree meant exactly what it was supposed to mean.

Flame.

Nope, dead serious.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 09:02:35 AM »
Truly disadvantaged URMs (and whites, asians, etc.) could he assisted in a non-racist manner.  People would be in positions where they belonged, and could handle the work

And how are we defining “truly disadvantaged” whites if they don’t have a long and storied history of legalized and then  socially accepted racism that has kept them out of the legal profession? What is making these whites disadvantaged that they have no say in?
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Elephant Lee

• Sr. Citizen
  • Maybe ju an' me are amigos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 11:12:02 AM »
We'd all be fornicating in the fields while angels played sweet, loving, interracial tunes on french horns.
This was my country
This frightful and this angry land

"I guess she was a hooker, that makes sense, those shorts didn't really look all that comfortable." -Dash

Pithypike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 11:34:27 AM »
Whites and asians would universally respect the achievements of URM's.  No URM achievements would be stigmatized.  Truly disadvantaged URMs (and whites, asians, etc.) could he assisted in a non-racist manner.  People would be in positions where they belonged, and could handle the work.  Employers could trust that a degree meant exactly what it was supposed to mean.

Yeah.....or you could just respect people based on the fact that they are people, not what you perceive to be their qualifications for their status in life. That might work too.

::)
166 167 166 168 167 172 176 180 176 174 176

treefity350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 12:24:19 PM »
Yeah, AA is really what drives racial tension in this country. DIdn't you guys know? A quote from your average racist:

"F you, n*****, and F your free college education too!"
Remember when I was at the picnic - the company picnic - and I hit the ball over the fence? You guys didn't think I'd catch it too but I did. I'm fast as s**t - 17 stolen bases in '72, 18 in '91.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 12:27:39 PM »
Would rainbows come out of our asses while we're fornicating to french horns?

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 03:14:12 PM »

That is, and I say this with all due respect, the biggest load of bull.

Hat tip to anyone who recognizes the above reference.

It's a load of bull because it's not AA that stigmatizes URM achievements, so much as it's the individual's race that causes others to discount their achievements, independent of AA.  AA is just the scapegoat that people use so they don't look like backwoods assholes for ascribing, however covertly, to racist ideologies.

I went to college in California after Prop 209 passed when some of the most competitive universities in the state dipped to unseen lows in URM admission.  Even still, people discounted my achievements.  You mean to tell me that a system that didn't exist is why my achievements are discounted?

Moreover, EVEN IF one gets into school with AA, how does that, in any way, devalue the degree achieved?  AA is not like a special track, where URMs take classes like Underwater Basketweaving and Sitting Around and Talking About Stuff while everyone else takes Quantum Physics and Biochemistry.  Don't conflate the issues.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

treefity350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 02:54:17 AM »
I just have to say...

While I believe that, ultimately, racial AA is justified, I can respect the argument that AA could, in some senses, be counterproductive.

But to suggest that we would improve race relations by eliminating AA is ridiculous.  First of all, AA is a consequence of racism, not a root cause of it. If you really think that your average racist would cease to be a bigot because a bunch of smart, rich white kids no longer had to go to one college that was ranked slightly lower than another, then you are ignorant.

Secondly, and I don't mean to make any accusations here, the title of this thread seems to suggest that you, yourself, [Lindbergh] feel some sort of anger against the collectivity of URMs because of AA. If so, why?  And if not, then I wonder why you think that the elimination of AA would do anything for race relations. 
Remember when I was at the picnic - the company picnic - and I hit the ball over the fence? You guys didn't think I'd catch it too but I did. I'm fast as s**t - 17 stolen bases in '72, 18 in '91.