Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Imagine how much better race relations would be w/o racial AA  (Read 6609 times)

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
Re: Imagine how much better race relations would be w/o racial AA
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 05:06:40 PM »
I'm a minority and I think its wrong, besides it only really benefits one minority group.
Can't argue that.

Who exactly benefits from affirmative action the most?  Do tell.

Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 05:41:06 PM »
OP neglects to mention that he's the one who disrespects the achievements of certain people on the basis of race and would like to impute his thinking on others.

Silly OP.
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

Defiant81

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 11:11:23 PM »
African American's benefit the most from AA.
Please argue this, I'd love to hear the wonderful reasons why this isn't true

treefity350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2008, 05:06:18 PM »
Affirmative Action= Reverse racism.
I thought the point was to get ride of racism world wide... Supporting something that induces it seems a bit counterproductive
I'm a minority and I think its wrong, besides it only really benefits one minority group.

Can't argue that.

Two problems,

1. While it may be true that, in the macro sense, blacks get the most "benefit" from AA, this is only because they're the largest minority group. In terms, of individual people, the group that tends to get the most benefit would be native Americans.

2. The way you are defining 'racism' is a lack of colorblindness. But there are very strong arguments that racism is something that can only be effected by dominant groups, such that recognizing the skin color/race of minority groups is not racism but race awareness. If racism is deeply entrenched in our society, then being color blind doesn't eliminate racism, it legitimizes it.
Remember when I was at the picnic - the company picnic - and I hit the ball over the fence? You guys didn't think I'd catch it too but I did. I'm fast as s**t - 17 stolen bases in '72, 18 in '91.