Law School Discussion

Advice on 3.48 and 165 - retake LSAT?

Advice on 3.48 and 165 - retake LSAT?
« on: July 27, 2008, 07:13:35 PM »
I took the LSAT in June and got 165 - a little disappointing. I was hoping for a 170-172 to go to UVA, Gtown. My practice scores were between 160 and 172, and I scored over 170 on 4 different tests.

Here's the deal. I am fine on the LR and LG sections, but I get tripped up on the Reading Comp section. I missed 10 qs on that section alone! As my RC score goes, so goes my LSAT score. It seems that RC is the hardest section to improve on. I took the Kaplan course, but their method did not help me. I was doing better really getting through 3 passages and answering them well and blowing through the 4th in about 5 minutes. Advice on whether to retake or stick with these numbers?

I think my softs are pretty good, but just based on the numbers the t14 seem out of the question with my current LSAT. Just for the record I want to go to a school with a good environmental program.

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Advice on 3.48 and 165 - retake LSAT?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 07:45:55 PM »
You're pretty solid for Georgetown's PT program if nothing else.

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 08:01:15 PM »
It sounds like you scored right in the middle of where you were testing. Unless something really went wrong the day of, I wouldn't retake.

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 08:56:51 PM »
It sounds like you scored right in the middle of where you were testing. Unless something really went wrong the day of, I wouldn't retake.

I agree. There is a variance. The OP might score better, but could also score worse. 165 is respectable.

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 09:52:20 PM »

I agree. There is a variance. The OP might score better, but could also score worse. 165 is respectable.

Agreed. But my scores never went directly from 160 to 170. They were trending smoothly. The slowly went down then shot up to the 170s where they stayed for awhile before coming back down to the 165s. Not exactly sure why that was, but increased confidence or less stress in life, I would guess.

On the GULC evening program, I have not seen the 25/75 UGPA and LSAT stats. Where can I find those?

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 10:01:23 PM »

Agreed. But my scores never went directly from 160 to 170. They were trending smoothly. The slowly went down then shot up to the 170s where they stayed for awhile before coming back down to the 165s. Not exactly sure why that was, but increased confidence or less stress in life, I would guess.

On the GULC evening program, I have not seen the 25/75 UGPA and LSAT stats. Where can I find those?

2007 25th-75th percentile undergraduate GPA (part-time)     3.33-3.75

2007 25th-75th percentile LSAT scores (part-time)     160-167

http://premium.usnews.com/grad/law/items/03032/@@admissions.html

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 10:31:47 PM »

2007 25th-75th percentile undergraduate GPA (part-time)     3.33-3.75

2007 25th-75th percentile LSAT scores (part-time)     160-167

http://premium.usnews.com/grad/law/items/03032/@@admissions.html
Assuming grades are the same in either program, is there any difference in terms of job prospects, ability to participate in writing for law journals, in moot court? This sounds almost too good to be true, and I need to get a job when I'm done at a school costing as much as GU.

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 10:43:31 PM »
I am not attending a part-time program, so I cannot give you definitive advice about the nuances of a PT program. Here is what I have heard, directly from hiring partners at V100 firms:

1) No one looks at your resume and says, "Did this person go PT or FT?" I shouldn't say no one. Maybe you will have a hiring partner who went to a PT program as well. It might be a source of positive conversation during an interview.

2) BigLaw firms have hiring grids/charts. These charts list schools and then what percentage of the class a person must graduate from in order to qualify for employment at said firm. Once you are invited in for an interview, most if not all interviews, have nothing to do with the law or school, they have to do with getting to know each other and seeing if you fit the firms mold personally. Every hiring partner I have spoken with has said there is no distinction in a hiring grid/chart between PT and FT.

3) Some PT programs allow students to transfer to the FT program after their first year, others do not. You may want to inquire about this.

4) The downside to a PT program is that law school is not exactly fun. A PT program prolongs the misery another year.

5) With a lightened load, you might actually end up with better grades than you would have otherwise.

6) So far as moot court, law review, etc. you will need to contact the GULC admissions office about specifics.

7) If my only way to T14 was PT, I would probably take it. Unless, you get $$$ from another school like WUSTL, USC, Texas, etc. Then it would be a tough choice.

Good luck.

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 11:27:23 PM »
If what you want is the top fourteen, retake.

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 11:34:33 PM »
If what you want is the top fourteen, retake.

175/3.96. Gluck on HYS.