Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does anyone have any insight into these firms?  (Read 1710 times)

Megara

• View Profile
Does anyone have any insight into these firms?
« on: July 27, 2008, 11:08:55 AM »
the NY offices of these firms:

Mayer Brown
Chadbourne & Parke
Goodwin Proctor
Allen & Overy
Fulbright & Jaworski
Schulte Roth
Baker & McKenzie
Bryan Cave

I am trying to priortize which ones i want to interview with and am having a tough decision separating them.  I find websites to be only so helpful because they are all written by an outside professional.  All of them have practice areas that i am interested in, so i can't narrow it down by practice area.  All are in NY, so i can't narrow it down by location.  I've talked to a few summer associates at about half, and ,of course ,they all said great things.  So i am inclined to list those ones first just because i've heard positive remarks from a third party.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

O.

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Does anyone have any insight into these firms?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 01:31:11 PM »
My boss's nephew currently works at Schulte Roth, and he's interested in transactional work.  They seem like transactional firm, and, as you probably realized if you looked at the Vault rankings, they're easier to break into.  I'm sure they have many talented attorneys, but, in strictly school terms, it looks like they're fond of recruiting from Not-Harvard schools, where I'm sure they find great people.

I met a Duke graduate at Allen & Overy, but I can't comment further.  She said good things about them, and I don't think she had any incentive to misguide me.

What did you do during your 1L summer?  What are your grades/school?  I would worry more about which firms might take you. 

nycpara

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 03:16:34 PM »
I'm a summer associate at Mayer Brown (NY) right now.  The firm is really great - I'm interested in litigation, which is super busy right now, and there are wonderful people in this practice area - I especially like the younger litigation associates, they are really friendly, and open with advice. The partners are also great: twice now I've had two different litigation partners (neither were partners for whom I was working) stop in my office just to ask if I'd like to go to court. Which, in my mind, is pretty cool. But then, I really like watching court. I haven't had much personal one-on-one time with the people in corporate/finance, but my officemates have, and they also seem to really like the people. The peeps in tax apparently rock, and they have lots of lunches and happy hours. I don't like tax, but I like the tax people.

Re: Goodwin Proctor - I almost went to Goodwin. I really liked the people I met; and I've heard from friends that have lateralled in to the NY office that they are really happy. I honestly probably would have gone there if it hadn't been for the move (Goodwin moved to the West side - 9th Avenue, somewhere in the 40's - last Spring). I know, I'm weird about location.

Re: Chadbourne - I would have killed for a call back at Chadbourne, but they only gave them to 2-3 people from my school. There are a few people from my school who summered there last year and raved about what a party it was. Apparently it's a monumentally fun place to work. Litigation isn't their big thing, though, so keep that in mind - if you're not a corporate/bankruptcy type, you may not love it so much.

I have friends summering at Schulte and Baker this summer, I'll ask them to post...

Good luck!

Megara

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 07:11:25 PM »
My boss's nephew currently works at Schulte Roth, and he's interested in transactional work.  They seem like transactional firm, and, as you probably realized if you looked at the Vault rankings, they're easier to break into.  I'm sure they have many talented attorneys, but, in strictly school terms, it looks like they're fond of recruiting from Not-Harvard schools, where I'm sure they find great people.

I met a Duke graduate at Allen & Overy, but I can't comment further.  She said good things about them, and I don't think she had any incentive to misguide me.

What did you do during your 1L summer?  What are your grades/school?  I would worry more about which firms might take you. 

top 10% / law review at a top 30 school.  Nothing great 1L summer, split my time between a public defender/internship with a state judge.  I got interviews with the firm at a job fair, but i unfortunately have to turn some down as there is a limit to the number i can accept.  I was just trying to find a way to rank which firms i want to interview with.  I would be thrilled to work for just about any of them, i'm sure.

Megara

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 07:13:11 PM »
I'm a summer associate at Mayer Brown (NY) right now.  The firm is really great - I'm interested in litigation, which is super busy right now, and there are wonderful people in this practice area - I especially like the younger litigation associates, they are really friendly, and open with advice. The partners are also great: twice now I've had two different litigation partners (neither were partners for whom I was working) stop in my office just to ask if I'd like to go to court. Which, in my mind, is pretty cool. But then, I really like watching court. I haven't had much personal one-on-one time with the people in corporate/finance, but my officemates have, and they also seem to really like the people. The peeps in tax apparently rock, and they have lots of lunches and happy hours. I don't like tax, but I like the tax people.

Re: Goodwin Proctor - I almost went to Goodwin. I really liked the people I met; and I've heard from friends that have lateralled in to the NY office that they are really happy. I honestly probably would have gone there if it hadn't been for the move (Goodwin moved to the West side - 9th Avenue, somewhere in the 40's - last Spring). I know, I'm weird about location.

Re: Chadbourne - I would have killed for a call back at Chadbourne, but they only gave them to 2-3 people from my school. There are a few people from my school who summered there last year and raved about what a party it was. Apparently it's a monumentally fun place to work. Litigation isn't their big thing, though, so keep that in mind - if you're not a corporate/bankruptcy type, you may not love it so much.

I have friends summering at Schulte and Baker this summer, I'll ask them to post...

Good luck!

Thanks a lot!  I've received a few emails from students at my school who are currently working there and have echoed your statements.   Hopefully i can impress one of them!