Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Schools I plan on applying to... Thoughts??  (Read 750 times)

randyers09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Schools I plan on applying to... Thoughts??
« on: July 27, 2008, 09:03:52 AM »
How do you guys feel about the schools I plan on applying to this fall based on a 2.94 gpa 160 LSAT. Do you think my low gpa will be a great enough hindrance to knock me out of most of these schools? Or do you think im on target? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reaches:
University of Oregon
Arizona State
University of Denver
University of Wisconsin Madison
Northeastern

Target:
Depaul
Marquette
Michigan State
Suffolk
Quinnipiac

Safeties:
John Marshall (Chicago)
Hamline
William Mitchell
St. Thomas (Minneapolis)
Cooley
New England
New York Law School

randyers09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Schools I plan on applying to
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 09:06:34 AM »
Also, on a note to my low gpa, i have an upward trend (I had a rough freshman year) and should i write an addendum for my gpa? Plus I have worked all through undergrad, am a member of Phi Alpha Delta (also on the e-board), youth soccer coach, and interned in the prosecutors office.

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 02:11:40 PM »
Also, on a note to my low gpa, i have an upward trend (I had a rough freshman year) and should i write an addendum for my gpa? Plus I have worked all through undergrad, am a member of Phi Alpha Delta (also on the e-board), youth soccer coach, and interned in the prosecutors office.

Write an addendum. It does not change your GPA, but it is better than nothing.

P.S. Even with a 2.94 you will get into some T2s because of your LSAT score. I would wipe schools like Cooley off the list. Save yourself the time of submitting the application via LSAC. It will be 30 seconds you will never be able to get back.

Good luck, you may very well hit one of your reaches with your LSAT score. Write a good personal statement and a good addendum.

Slice57

• View Profile
Re: Schools I plan on applying to... Thoughts??
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 02:15:47 PM »
A few schools that I applied to with similar numbers (better LSAT slightly worse GPA)

University of Missouri (I go here)
St. Louis University
University of Missouri - Kansas City

If you want to work in either Kansas City or St. Louis you'll have a good shot with those schools.

I also go into several of the Chicago Schools. (Loyola was the highest ranked)

LSU
Toledo Ohio
and Indianapolis

When you explain your grades...don't try to make excuses. Just say something like, "I do not believe that my frist year's grades were a true representation of my abilities and that my upward trend was a better indication" or something like that.

randyers09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 02:19:46 PM »

P.S. Even with a 2.94 you will get into some T2s because of your LSAT score. I would wipe schools like Cooley off the list. Save yourself the time of submitting the application via LSAC. It will be 30 seconds you will never be able to get back.

Good luck, you may very well hit one of your reaches with your LSAT score. Write a good personal statement and a good addendum.

Thanks for the advice, I just added Cooley because I'm quite paranoid because of my GPA, and I live in Michigan.

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 02:20:30 PM »

Thanks for the advice, I just added Cooley because I'm quite paranoid because of my GPA, and I live in Michigan.

You have reason to be paranoid, but trust me, not that paranoid.

randyers09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 02:21:10 PM »
A few schools that I applied to with similar numbers (better LSAT slightly worse GPA)

University of Missouri (I go here)
St. Louis University
University of Missouri - Kansas City

If you want to work in either Kansas City or St. Louis you'll have a good shot with those schools.

I also go into several of the Chicago Schools. (Loyola was the highest ranked)

LSU
Toledo Ohio
and Indianapolis

When you explain your grades...don't try to make excuses. Just say something like, "I do not believe that my frist year's grades were a true representation of my abilities and that my upward trend was a better indication" or something like that.

Cool, Thanks for the advice, I dont know much about writing addendum's how long are they usually?

randyers09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 02:24:37 PM »
Do you think I should add U of Michigan to my list. I know my numbers are far from the range that typically gets accepted. But a professor at my undergrad school made me aware of a fact that University of Michigan accepts a a portion of the top applicants from each county. The county I am from is in the Upper Penninsula and is extremely underrepresented. I found out I could have gotten into U of M with any numbers practically for undergrad, that is if the information my professor provided me is correct. I was wondering based on this, if the same rule applies for Univ of Michigan's Law School. Do they try to pull in a diverse range of Michigan Residents?

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 02:25:25 PM »
Do you think I should add U of Michigan to my list. I know my numbers are far from the range that typically gets accepted. But a professor at my undergrad school made me aware of a fact that University of Michigan accepts a a portion of the top applicants from each county. The county I am from is in the Upper Penninsula and is extremely underrepresented. I found out I could have gotten into U of M with any numbers practically for undergrad, that is if the information my professor provided me is correct. I was wondering based on this, if the same rule applies for Univ of Michigan's Law School. Do they try to pull in a diverse range of Michigan Residents?

Is this a serious question?

randyers09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 02:27:08 PM »
yes, and im guessing your answer by your tone?