Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: It's unfair to hold wealthy urms to the same standards as poor whites/asians  (Read 5597 times)

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm not sure why, but my professor told me so.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
This issue really gets you doesn't it?  Well, everyone has their cross to bear.
When a candidate faces the voters he does not face men of sense [but] a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion. As democracy is perfected the White House will be adorned with a moron.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Poor people are really annoying they always want stuff: Can I have some food? Can I have a roof over my head? Can I have medical attention so I donít die?  NO They are so needy. Why should we reward poor people for being failures at life?
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
What's really unfair is blaming people who are trying to do some good for not doing ALL good.  You are right.  Helping all people >> helping some people >> helping nobody. 

I don't think you can ever expect one system to be great for everybody. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile

Can you define the terms "wealthy" and "poor"?  I rarely meet wealthy blacks, but your life experience seems to  be significantly different from mine in this and many other a respects.  I just want to be sure I understand what you mean when you use the terms. Then, please get me some statistics on the number of wealthy urms (esp. blacks) in law school as compared to the number of poor whites and the number of poor Asians.  Please provide information on family income, assets (esp. investments, real estates, trusts and estates, etc. that point to net worth as opposed to mere salaries), educational attainment levels, residential housing and community info, etc. Feel free to narrow your focus to the 3,980 black, 39,050 white, and 4,640 Asian students who entered law school last fall -- or a representative sampling of them.   I'd like to better understand your research into these wealthy urm's and poor whites and Asians.  Thanks.
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

azar999

• View Profile
    • Email
User has been banned for spamming

-PJC

Operational

• View Profile
Increasing diversity with black students is just skin deep. I have nothing against students who take advantage of a school's superficial policies; if I were in that position I would leverage it in my favor too.

It's not smart to judge a person by their race. All populations have are a distribution of classes and different levels of adversity an individual must overcome. A poor black person does not have the same opportunity as a rich black person, which is true for all races. White skin doesn't force people into a life of prosperity, nor does black skin cause people to fail. 

Wealth-blind admissions is detrimental to the prospective black student who really does need some help to end their cycle of poverty. Poor blacks from the streets of Chicago should not be considered the same as children of a rich black doctor.

I'm a socially progressive person and I am for Affirmative Action, but the priorities of Affirmative Action need to shift. Lines such as "3,980 black, 39,050 white, and 4,640 Asian" are silly categorizations and really mean nothing.

cooleylawstudent

The presidant, Tiger woods, anyone in Hollywood or music, etc.
vs
laid out auto worker in detroit

I think thats what he was trying to get at.

Can you define the terms "wealthy" and "poor"?  I rarely meet wealthy blacks, but your life experience seems to  be significantly different from mine in this and many other a respects.  I just want to be sure I understand what you mean when you use the terms. Then, please get me some statistics on the number of wealthy urms (esp. blacks) in law school as compared to the number of poor whites and the number of poor Asians.  Please provide information on family income, assets (esp. investments, real estates, trusts and estates, etc. that point to net worth as opposed to mere salaries), educational attainment levels, residential housing and community info, etc. Feel free to narrow your focus to the 3,980 black, 39,050 white, and 4,640 Asian students who entered law school last fall -- or a representative sampling of them.   I'd like to better understand your research into these wealthy urm's and poor whites and Asians.  Thanks.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
White skin doesn't force people into a life of prosperity, nor does black skin cause people to fail. 

Before the comma = true

After the comma = not necessarily true

That said, I don't believe that it sometimes being the case for the most downtrodden of blacks = all blacks should have this excuse ready to hand out at a moment's notice when expected to *gasp* take some responsibility in this unfair game called life.

That is all.