Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYLS v. Pace  (Read 597 times)

JUNE 2008

• View Profile
    • Email
NYLS v. Pace
« on: July 26, 2008, 09:58:17 PM »
Both NYLS and Pace law school recently offered me admission, but I have not decided where to go. I want to work in NYC (big firms or mid size firms) and it seems that the chance for achieving my goal would not be great in any of these two law schools.  I know I have to be at least in top 20% in order to have a chance to interview with big firms....  I do not know what kind of laws I want to do yet.  Which school would be a better choice (even slightly better)?       

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: NYLS v. Pace
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 10:08:38 PM »
Just going off of the chart of charts (http://www.law.com/img/nlj/charts/composite.pdf) it doesn't look like either school gives you a decent shot at scoring a job at a big or medium sized firm. If those are the only two schools that you're looking at, and you still want to go to law school with the knowledge that landing the type of job you want right now is going to be next to impossible then I'd choose Pace.

The cost of living and tuition are cheaper than NYLS, and its ranked a little higher (T3 v. T4)
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

JUNE 2008

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 10:25:50 PM »
Thank you for your advice.  I understand the fact that the job prospects for the big law firms from either NYLS or Pace is not so good.  However, what I would like to know is which one is a RELATIVELY better law school (both are third tier law schools).  I think the living cost issue is moot because I will need a car if I attend Pace (I do not need a car in Manhattan).   

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 03:09:38 AM »
Take cooking classes at La Cordon Bleu. You will end up with less debt and better job prospects.

Good luck.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 11:33:59 AM »
Top 20% is optimistic, for NYLS and Pace, try more like top 5%. I know of only one person who has gone to NYLS for whom it was a good fit. He was attending part-time on a full-ride with a stipend, and already had a job lined up at a great government office. For people without already established connections, these schools are not worth a sticker-price investment.

The best advice someone ever gave me was "Take those opportunities that open more doors than they close, and walk away from those that close more doors than they open." It really is very true, especially in this situation.