Law School Discussion

165 LSAT- retake?

sheltron5000

• All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
Re: 165 LSAT- retake?
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008, 08:38:45 PM »
To be honest, I don't think you should re-take. You scored at the high end of your practice range, you've used up most of your prep materials, and I'm not really getting a sense from your posts that you have a strong desire to re-take or think that you could do better. Part of doing a re-take is if you think you could score more than 3 points higher. Yes, most schools take the higher score these days, but re-taking and getting a 167 or 168 will probably still place you in the same score band. it seems to me, is a waste of your time, energy and money. If you have a burning desire to do a re-take and are willing to do extra work for it, than by all means go ahead. But I don't really get that sense from you from your posts.

Agreed.

I don't disagree with your overall sentiment, but it should be noted that schools completely disregard the score band, which is an irrelevant LSAC invention.

It should also be noted that every point matters for admissions -- doesn't have to be more than 3 points.  Someone with a 167/168 will probably get into a T14 with enough effort, while someone with a 165 almost certainly will not.

Actually schools do look at the score band, or at least that is their declared policy. Cornell for example, says that they will consider the higher score if the higher score is three points higher than the lower score (three points is the LSAT score band). Every school has different standards, and while a second score that is only 1 or 2 points higher probably won't hurt, the adcomms will certainly ask, "why did you bother?"

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2008, 09:22:16 PM »
but it should be noted that schools completely disregard the score band, which is an irrelevant LSAC invention.

It should be relevant to anyone who knows what a standard deviation is.

It should also be noted that every point matters for admissions -- doesn't have to be more than 3 points.  Someone with a 167/168 will probably get into a T14 with enough effort, while someone with a 165 almost certainly will not.

Seriously, you have to be Robin Singh alt.

Scentless Apprentice

• My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 09:35:38 PM »
I've seen the comment above a few times - that if your score only goes up 1 or 2 points the adcomms will think 'why did you bother', and there is some implication that a reason should be provided. As I mentioned before, at one of my target schools they say if it doesnt go up by 4 points they'd like an explanation.

This does not make sense to me. Why did you bother? Well, if we knew ahead of time the outcome, we wouldnt have bothered, but since we don't, we bothered. Seriously, it's a hard test..and if you are thrown off for 3 minutes by a logic game, that could easily be your 1 - 4 point difference. BEING THROWN OFF FOR A FEW MINUTES!!!! There is supposed to be an explanation for that? Please don't come back with, well people don't want a lawyer who gets thrown off, blah blah. I've never seen a contract dispute that had to be resolved within 35 minutes..to me it simply doesnt relate to why a school would admit someone.

With that reasoning you're saying an adcomm will be like "oh, I see here their LSAT went up by 2 points the second time..let me look for that explanation..what could they have been thinking, this is a real sign of something"

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 09:37:15 PM »
I've never seen a contract dispute that had to be resolved within 35 minutes..

Really? Wait until your 1L, first semester finals.  ;D

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2008, 09:57:20 PM »
I think there is too much discussion of schools in here.  OP, what were your PrepTests?  That should determine whether a retake is a good move, not where you want to go to school.  If you were hitting 159-166, take the 165 and be happy.  If you were hitting 164-172, retake.

EC, this news was frustrating to me, because that's exactly what happened to me: preptests 164-175, LSAT: 165.  so you'd say definitely retake??

Tracy T

• I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down !
    • AOL Instant Messenger - theebmonique
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 11:12:01 AM »
but it should be noted that schools completely disregard the score band, which is an irrelevant LSAC invention.

It should be relevant to anyone who knows what a standard deviation is.

You may think it should be, but it isn't relevant to law schools, because they're focused on how those numbers make them look, and because, over masses of people, the band deviation cancels out.  (A student body with a 168 median is clearly stronger, overall, than a student body with a 165 median.  And that school will certainly be higher ranked, regardless.)
And it's not like ranking or one or two points matters for anything.
http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/index.php/1/desc/LSATLow
http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/index.php/1/desc/LSATHigh/2009

Notre Dame is now in Illinois...according to both of those links anyway...LOL. Somebody should tell the city of South Bend and the state of Indiana huh ?

15 U. of Notre Dame 3.4 3.76 164 167 18.6% 14.7 83.8% 97.3% IL 89.5% 87% +2.5%
19 U. of Notre Dame 3.4 3.76 164 167 18.6% 14.7 83.8% 97.3% IL 89.5% 87% +2.5%

Tracy T

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 11:32:34 AM »
It's 'chick' to you, please (see the not so small print in my profile).  

And yes, I should have read the microscopic print at the bottom of the linked page.

Tracy T

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 11:49:37 AM »
I was not particularly interested in the HYS results.  I looked at ND and University of Utah only. So it might be true that it is an unwarranted assumption on your part that it was a lack of common sense on my part ? And please, unless you have something constructive to help me with, let's end this off-topic/side bar discussion and get back to the topic of the thread.  Thank you.

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 01:24:46 PM »
Should I retake in October?  I have a 3.8 ugpa and a 165 lsat.

I hate predicting admission chances... but, with those numbers and no especially grand softs, I suspect you could go as high as USC, rankings-wise.

Those aren't bad numbers. 165 is a longshot for most of the T14 (though, not unheard of), so if you have your heart set on those schools, you will want to re-take.

i suggest getting apps out to some of your top picks now, and if you are willing to re-take in october, do so, and make sure they know that there is a score update. If you do worse, most schools won't hold it against you.

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 01:26:53 PM »
Should I retake in October?  I have a 3.8 ugpa and a 165 lsat.

I hate predicting admission chances... but, with those numbers and no especially grand softs, I suspect you could go as high as USC, rankings-wise.

Those aren't bad numbers. 165 is a longshot for most of the T14 (though, not unheard of), so if you have your heart set on those schools, you will want to re-take.

i suggest getting apps out to some of your top picks now, and if you are willing to re-take in october, do so, and make sure they know that there is a score update. If you do worse, most schools won't hold it against you.

Those numbers are in the Georgetown 25-75%. Why are they a long shot for T14? ??? ???