Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 165 LSAT- retake?  (Read 7078 times)

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
Re: 165 LSAT- retake?
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 06:41:08 PM »
Nope. WashLaw was wrong. They get all your scores, then they decide what to do with them. If WashLaw had said ABA or USNWR, they would have been correct, these are the institutions that publish information and rankings about the schools and they have a HUGE influence on what the schools decide to do. Most schools now take the higher score, but they do get to see both. If you really need to know, check with the school's website, they should list their policy somewhere, probably in a FAQ
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

hithere

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 07:00:08 PM »
I enjoy learning about all aspects of the law, honestly.  I guess if I had to pick, I would like to work in international law specifically (although I don't mind doing other things like litigation).  From what I am hearing, it sounds like you guys think I can get into a top 30 school.  How far off do you think I am from a top 10?  Again, I am not sure I can pull off a 170--I think that if I am lucky, maybe I can improve a few points and maybe get up to a 168.  Thanks!

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 07:15:12 PM »
Hey thanks sheltron, thats what I figured.

hithere, if you are interested in international law, then that certainly gives you some criteria for examining potential law schools. No poster will be able to tell you how far off you are from a top 10, there are too many unknown variables to consider on the admissions side. If top 10 is your goal, then just put together the best app. you can & apply to all the schools - make your decision based on your results. Anything before that will be speculation..
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

WashLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 12:55:07 AM »
sorry. I meant reported to the ABA. My point was that schools are now more likely just to look at the higer score. But yes, they will get both. Thanks for correct my mistake. :)

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 02:06:47 AM »
i think 165 is the ultimate "is the grass greener..." score.  you're just barely on the verge of T1 shoo-ins, yet could easily fall to a T2 with your GPA or soft factors.  a 167 would make you feel much better no doubt, and a 163 would seal the deal on a re-take i'd imagine.  i'm in the same boat, and really don't know what i'm going to do about October.  anxious to hear what you decide...

The OP is guaranteed entrance to a T1 (he has a 3.8).

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2008, 02:14:19 AM »
what schools do you think I can get in with my numbers as it stands now? T1? T2?  How beneficial would retaking the lsat be for getting into a good schooL?  Don't they average the scores?  For instance, say I retake and score a 168.  If you average it with the 165, it is just a one point increase (166).  Would it be worth it for a one point increase?

1.  You currently have an outside shot at schools like Boalt and Michigan (Early Admission), depending on your soft factors, essays, visits, etc.  Decent shot at schools like UCLA on down.  Very good shot at T25, and pretty much your pick of the other T1 schools, with the possible exceptions of a few of the more competitive ones.

2.  You should definitely retake if you think you can do better.  (How did you prep?  What were your practice scorse?)  Schools no longer average, and even if they did, a 168 would give you an average of 167 (166.5), not 166.  If you could get a 166, you'd definitely have a shot at Michigan ED.  A 167 would make you pretty marketable there, or at Boalt/Duke/Cornell.  And either score would make you pretty golden almost everywhere outside the T14. 

Get a 168, and you're probably in the T14, unless you mess up your essays.

hithere

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 12:08:32 PM »
I took the kaplan lsat extreme course to prepare last time.  To date, my highest practice score was a 168.  Usually, I score anywhere from 163-166 on practice tests.  It is getting harder to practice this time around because I have already done most of the released lsats and so my score might be improving because I have already seen the questions in the past.  You are saying that I could get into a less picky T1 like Boalt with my current numbers?  How about a school like Georgetown?  Would I have to retake to get into a school like Georgetown?  If so, how much do you think I would have to go up in my lsat score to have a shot (more than 2 points)?

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 12:12:35 PM »
I took the kaplan lsat extreme course to prepare last time.  To date, my highest practice score was a 168.  Usually, I score anywhere from 163-166 on practice tests.  It is getting harder to practice this time around because I have already done most of the released lsats and so my score might be improving because I have already seen the questions in the past.  You are saying that I could get into a less picky T1 like Boalt with my current numbers?  How about a school like Georgetown?  Would I have to retake to get into a school like Georgetown?  If so, how much do you think I would have to go up in my lsat score to have a shot (more than 2 points)?

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/law

Instead of applying blindly to the "best you can get into" maybe you should figure out where you want to be, where you want to practice, etc. Taking the LSAT again is time-consuming, can be expensive, and from personal experience it can be nerve-wracking. How badly do you want to get into these "top schools?" Are you sure they're even right for you?

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 01:53:24 PM »

Boalt's actually not less picky, it's just less LSAT focused, so you'd have a shot there.  Gtown's a total LSAT whore, so you'd probably need at least a 167/168 to have a shot there.  (Maybe Gtown Part time, though.)

Clarify your terminology.  T1= 1-50 schools.  T2=50-100 schools.  T14= the top 14 schools.

You actually did pretty well relative to your practice average.  In terms of prep, Kaplan's usually pretty sketchy, although I don't know about their extreme program.  Might want to check out the powerscore bibles, to see if they'll help.  If you started in the low 160's, or got there pretty quickly, you should be able to exceed 165 with quality prep. 

One thing you can do is apply this cycle, see how it goes, and then decide if you need to retake. 

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 01:57:03 PM »

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/law

Instead of applying blindly to the "best you can get into" maybe you should figure out where you want to be, where you want to practice, etc. Taking the LSAT again is time-consuming, can be expensive, and from personal experience it can be nerve-wracking. How badly do you want to get into these "top schools?" Are you sure they're even right for you?

The whole purpose of going to a T14, though, is that it doesn't really matter where you want to be or practice, as they can all place nationally.

Taking the LSAT can be a pain, but it's nothing compared to the pain of going through law school and trying to find a job at a lower-ranked program.  Maximizing your LSAT score is pretty much almost a worthwhile investment.

(The top schools are pretty much "right" for everyone in that they give people their best shot at doing what they want to do.  The only reason not to attend one is if you instead take a full-ride at a lower-ranked program you personally prefer, in order to avoid debt.  Either option is most attainable with the highest possible LSAT, and the latter is also more obtainable if you can bargain with a T14 acceptance in full view.)