Law School Discussion

165 LSAT- retake?

sheltron5000

• All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
Re: 165 LSAT- retake?
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 04:41:08 PM »
Nope. WashLaw was wrong. They get all your scores, then they decide what to do with them. If WashLaw had said ABA or USNWR, they would have been correct, these are the institutions that publish information and rankings about the schools and they have a HUGE influence on what the schools decide to do. Most schools now take the higher score, but they do get to see both. If you really need to know, check with the school's website, they should list their policy somewhere, probably in a FAQ

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 05:00:08 PM »
I enjoy learning about all aspects of the law, honestly.  I guess if I had to pick, I would like to work in international law specifically (although I don't mind doing other things like litigation).  From what I am hearing, it sounds like you guys think I can get into a top 30 school.  How far off do you think I am from a top 10?  Again, I am not sure I can pull off a 170--I think that if I am lucky, maybe I can improve a few points and maybe get up to a 168.  Thanks!

Scentless Apprentice

• My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 05:15:12 PM »
Hey thanks sheltron, thats what I figured.

hithere, if you are interested in international law, then that certainly gives you some criteria for examining potential law schools. No poster will be able to tell you how far off you are from a top 10, there are too many unknown variables to consider on the admissions side. If top 10 is your goal, then just put together the best app. you can & apply to all the schools - make your decision based on your results. Anything before that will be speculation..

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 10:55:07 PM »
sorry. I meant reported to the ABA. My point was that schools are now more likely just to look at the higer score. But yes, they will get both. Thanks for correct my mistake. :)

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 10:08:32 AM »
I took the kaplan lsat extreme course to prepare last time.  To date, my highest practice score was a 168.  Usually, I score anywhere from 163-166 on practice tests.  It is getting harder to practice this time around because I have already done most of the released lsats and so my score might be improving because I have already seen the questions in the past.  You are saying that I could get into a less picky T1 like Boalt with my current numbers?  How about a school like Georgetown?  Would I have to retake to get into a school like Georgetown?  If so, how much do you think I would have to go up in my lsat score to have a shot (more than 2 points)?

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2008, 10:12:35 AM »
I took the kaplan lsat extreme course to prepare last time.  To date, my highest practice score was a 168.  Usually, I score anywhere from 163-166 on practice tests.  It is getting harder to practice this time around because I have already done most of the released lsats and so my score might be improving because I have already seen the questions in the past.  You are saying that I could get into a less picky T1 like Boalt with my current numbers?  How about a school like Georgetown?  Would I have to retake to get into a school like Georgetown?  If so, how much do you think I would have to go up in my lsat score to have a shot (more than 2 points)?

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/law

Instead of applying blindly to the "best you can get into" maybe you should figure out where you want to be, where you want to practice, etc. Taking the LSAT again is time-consuming, can be expensive, and from personal experience it can be nerve-wracking. How badly do you want to get into these "top schools?" Are you sure they're even right for you?

EarlCat

• i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 12:00:30 PM »
I think there is too much discussion of schools in here.  OP, what were your PrepTests?  That should determine whether a retake is a good move, not where you want to go to school.  If you were hitting 159-166, take the 165 and be happy.  If you were hitting 164-172, retake.

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 01:52:40 PM »
In terms of my prep scores, I am stuck in a pretty tight range-163-166.  I scored a 168 once and that was my highest.  I've already taken most of the released lsats, save for the very early ones.  I think that is what makes prepping this time so hard since I've already seen most of the prep questions.  Do you guys think I would get into Georgetown if I retook the lsat and got a 168 (or better to stick with what I have and give it a shot)?  You guys are saying that admissions committees see both scores.  What would they think if you only improve a few points (as opposed to 10 points or something)?  Thanks for the replies.

meggo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 04:47:52 PM »
To be honest, I don't think you should re-take. You scored at the high end of your practice range, you've used up most of your prep materials, and I'm not really getting a sense from your posts that you have a strong desire to re-take or think that you could do better. Part of doing a re-take is if you think you could score more than 3 points higher. Yes, most schools take the higher score these days, but re-taking and getting a 167 or 168 will probably still place you in the same score band. it seems to me, is a waste of your time, energy and money. If you have a burning desire to do a re-take and are willing to do extra work for it, than by all means go ahead. But I don't really get that sense from you from your posts.

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 07:11:13 PM »
To be honest, I don't think you should re-take. You scored at the high end of your practice range, you've used up most of your prep materials, and I'm not really getting a sense from your posts that you have a strong desire to re-take or think that you could do better. Part of doing a re-take is if you think you could score more than 3 points higher. Yes, most schools take the higher score these days, but re-taking and getting a 167 or 168 will probably still place you in the same score band. it seems to me, is a waste of your time, energy and money. If you have a burning desire to do a re-take and are willing to do extra work for it, than by all means go ahead. But I don't really get that sense from you from your posts.

ditto