Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 165 LSAT- retake?  (Read 6355 times)

hithere

• View Profile
165 LSAT- retake?
« on: July 26, 2008, 03:01:03 PM »
Should I retake in October?  I have a 3.8 ugpa and a 165 lsat.

Tracy T

• I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down !
    • AOL Instant Messenger - theebmonique
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 165 LSAT- retake?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 03:21:57 PM »
What are your goals ? T1...T2...T3...T4 ?

hithere

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 03:28:49 PM »
just a good law school I guess

Tracy T

• I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down !
    • AOL Instant Messenger - theebmonique
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 03:47:58 PM »
OK...if you give a bit more information on what you want to do, where you want to go...some specifics, there are people on this board who can give great advice, suggestions, etc..  "Should I retake" and "Just a good law school" is not enough to go on.  Some here will even give you a hard time without more info.  Like I said, there are people here who can give you some great ideas...but more info from you is required if you want substantial answers.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 04:32:38 PM »
i think 165 is the ultimate "is the grass greener..." score.  you're just barely on the verge of T1 shoo-ins, yet could easily fall to a T2 with your GPA or soft factors.  a 167 would make you feel much better no doubt, and a 163 would seal the deal on a re-take i'd imagine.  i'm in the same boat, and really don't know what i'm going to do about October.  anxious to hear what you decide...

hithere

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 04:57:35 PM »
what schools do you think I can get in with my numbers as it stands now? T1? T2?  How beneficial would retaking the lsat be for getting into a good schooL?  Don't they average the scores?  For instance, say I retake and score a 168.  If you average it with the 165, it is just a one point increase (166).  Would it be worth it for a one point increase?

WashLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 05:17:12 PM »
what schools do you think I can get in with my numbers as it stands now? T1? T2?  How beneficial would retaking the lsat be for getting into a good schooL?  Don't they average the scores?  For instance, say I retake and score a 168.  If you average it with the 165, it is just a one point increase (166).  Would it be worth it for a one point increase?
scores are no longer averaged. Only the highest is reported to LSAC. So retaking is far more beneficial these days. But I think you need to tell us what exactly you want as far as law schools and future employment before we can give you decent advise. For instance, if you biglaw as it is called, then retake and try to get 170+. if you want a firm job, it depends on where you want to practice.
hth

hithere

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 05:22:05 PM »
I doubt I would be able to get 170+--I had a hard enough time just getting the 165!  Maybe I'd be able to go up a couple points on the lsat (like 168), but not much more than that.  I am open to anything with regards to law--whatever pays the most I guess!

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »
You could get into Boston University, University of Illinois, and similarly ranked schools, assuming there isn't anything alarming on your application.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 06:33:23 PM »
Quick question: WashLaw said that only the highest score is "reported", is that correct? I was under the impression that if you retake, both scores are sent with your LSDAS information.

I know at one of my target schools they say they will accept the higher score, and if it's not 4 points higher then they'd like a one page explanation. How would they know unless both scores are reported..

hithere, you should go on LSN & see where people with similar numbers are going. You have an excellent GPA & a good LSAT score, you shouldnt have a problem getting into T30 for sure (assuming you put together a decent PS & LOR's). If you are unsure about what area of law you want to go into..I would look into that, as it may help you decide on a school. When you say "pays the most", does that mean you don't care about hours worked & what your efforts accomplish? Some people genuinely receive a kind of instrinsic value from practicing law, whether it's doing gov. work, helping small business owners, tenants, lower income, etc. Something to consider. Best of luck!
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN