Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it possible to get a "no", then get a "yes"  (Read 1617 times)

M_Dallas

• View Profile
    • Email
Is it possible to get a "no", then get a "yes"
« on: July 26, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
Has anyone heard of a school rejecting you, then coming back some time later and saying "yes". Maybe because a student accepted as a transfer took another acceptance somewhere else?  Should I contact the school and ask them, or is it even possible?  My stats are ok, Top 4&.  Thanks.

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to get a "no", then get a "yes"
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 12:05:04 PM »
Possible? Yes, but highly unlikely. Calling the school that rejected you would probably be a bad idea.

yukon1011

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 12:21:20 PM »
I would guess that, if it's ever happened, it would be highly unlikely.  I'd wager the odds go down drastically the higher ranked the school.

I say that based on my observations (from the board and my own applications) regarding the transfer process.  It seems like most schools admit their first round draft picks, so to speak, reject a good deal either right away or a bit later and keep a few to several on standby. 

I'd bet the size of the standby group varies by school -- at a higher ranked/more national school, they probably need less people on standby, because they presume that the majority of those offered admission will attend.  I'd say this especially applies to Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU and Chicago, and to a lesser extent the rest of the T14 (depending largely on school and number of transfers they admit).  In any event, it seems like most schools keep some on standby -- the chances of the school exhausting that list and then going back to the applications they rejected is slim to none.

For instance, Harvard just admitted their first picks.  They also rejected a great deal of people.  Evidently, from the boards, a few people are still in limbo.  I'd guess those limbo people might be their standby group, for those transfers that choose another school (Yale, Stanford, or another top school based on $ or location).

Anyone else have thoughts on this?  It bears mentioning that I could be completely wrong -- this is all based on personal observations.  Personally, I don't think you have anything to lose by calling, but who knows.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 03:38:33 PM »
If you were rejected on a transfer app outright, that rejection is probably final. Agreed that you have nothing to lose by calling the school and communicating your interest in attending as a transfer despite the rejection.

Hopefully another school you like comes through for you.

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 05:07:39 PM »
I vaguely recall that some transferapps mention something like 'requested reconsideration,' but I don't think anyone has posted a success doing this.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the Dean's waitlist button is there for a purpose and the rejection button is there for another purpose.  Focusing on what is attainable is probably best rather than dwelling on what's not.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

hedrick1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 07:01:49 PM »
It is usually final, although you might be able to go out on a limb and ask for some sort of re-consideration based on something you want to add to your file.  ???

bodhi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 08:41:18 PM »
It is almost impossible. However, I am a success story. I was top 5% at a T4 and was initially rejected as a transfer app at a T1 school. I basically harassed them until they admitted me. I really wanted to go there and emailed and called everyone that could make a decision, including the Dean of Admissions, Dean of Student Affair, and the Dean of the law school. They told me that rejections are almost always final; however, my application was competitive and i think i made a good case for reconsideration. I was actually very surprised when they called me and admitted me. I expected to get the run around. But if you are persistent, it can pay off. It really can't hurt can it? All they can do is keep saying no.

mtbrider59

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 10:20:29 PM »
I had it happen, not as a transfer but as a entering 1L. I was rejected by my first choice, the accepted at a Tier 4 and was all set to go when my first e-mailed me strongly encouraging me to appeal the decision. Granted there was some behind the scenes machinations on my behalf by a friend with connections but I didn't have to do anything special just simply to write and ask for them to reconsider, then I was offered admission to my first choice, so I'm off to be a 1L in a couple of days.  It also probably worked in my favor that I'm URM and they had worked through  a good portion of their waitlist. So I'd say give it a shot, it can't hurt to ask, what's the worst they can do, say No again?