Law School Discussion

Golf

Golf
« on: July 25, 2008, 06:20:18 PM »
Who plays it, who's planning on learning?  Who thinks it's an outdated "good ol' boys" tradition?

I'm trying to learn to play it.  I actually really enjoy it so far.  I think I prefer bowling though.

Re: Golf
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 06:29:14 PM »
I have a bit of a golfing problem...it becomes an obsession.  I want to play everyday.  The problem is, I'm not that good at it. 

It's not really an ol' boys tradition unless you treat it as such...like playing just to impress business associates.  I play for the pure enjoyment of the relatively few good shots that I make in a round.  Seriously, I can stink it up for 14 holes and then hit that one perfectly straight bomb of a drive or sink a 20 foot putt and it is all worth it again. 

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 06:33:32 PM »
I've played since I was a kid. It's a tough game to learn. It takes lots of practice, my advice is to focus on your short game, as you'll see the fastest improvement in your score. Though it's been described as a good walk spoiled, I'd disagree it's still a nice walk through a parklike setting and a good way to socialize with your colleagues, better than spending the afternoon strapped behind your desk especially if you can find a way to make it a 4 -5 hour billable. Keep at it, it will pay off in the long run.

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 06:44:37 PM »
I have also played since I was very young. Before law school I was a scratch golfer. I went and played last weekend for the first time this summer and it was painful. We played at this nice little course outside of Lagrange, Ga. and I stunk it up, 78. Before the summer I played with the potential future employer and I was worried that beating him by 20 shots, which would have been easy, might hurt my chances with him. In the end he got fairly intoxicated and had such a good time he did not even keep score.  8)

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 07:57:47 PM »
I'd give my left nut to "stink" my way to a 78...

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 08:03:45 PM »
people golf where i work, but not obsessively, it seems like, at least at my firm, running is the big sport.  maybe things are different elsewhere though.  we golf on our retreat though, and i think that might be kinda normal.  however, it is pretty low pressure and the golfing is optional.

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 09:03:23 PM »
I love golf. I play it whenever I can. In fact, I'm playing early in the AM!

I look forward to playing with partners as a SA. I will inspire awes and permanent offers with my massive drives.

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 09:27:21 PM »
Anyone know anything about the San Diego Golf Academy, or know anyone who has done it?

vjm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 06:49:43 AM »
I started playing last summer, and while I do stink I love it. My place at LS is about 5 blocks from the public course, so I definitely see myself continuing to hack away.

I need to take a lesson, especially in driving off the tee. I suck.

glad to see there are other addicts around!

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 06:52:59 AM »
I think I am going to need to take lessons since most of the people in the firm I am working at this summer play and I would like to be able to play without looking like a total moron. There's a golf course right by my house, so I am going to see if they have lessons. My husband would be *thrilled* if I took it up, so it's not just a work-related thing.