Law School Discussion

159 Lsat, 3.9 GPA-Florida Schools

Re: 159 Lsat, 3.9 GPA-Florida Schools
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2008, 08:45:04 AM »
Actually, I was responding to other posters, not specifically to you. As you your specific case, I commend you for not playing the race card. It takes more guts to stand just on your numbers alone. I think you can get into both schools with your numbers without retaking the LSAT. Florida might be tougher than FSU... just based upon the LSAC calculator. I think you can flip a coin as to which school is better. There probably is not alot of hard differences between the schools. Just consider where you want to live and where you will be more comfortable. Tallahassee is a bigger city, so, it may have some advantages in job prospects and such. I'm sure you will do fine whichever you choose.

Thanks! :-)

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2008, 10:29:51 AM »
What are my chances? I am mostly concerned about UF and FSU. I am an undergrad at UF and FSU is my first choice for law. I was pretty disappointed with my LSAT score and am probably going to retake in October, but is that a really a good idea? At first I thought I was ok with taking it again but as time goes by, I am losing interest in a retake.
Also, technically I am URM (African American Father, Caucasian mother) but I chose to classify myself as "other" with LSAC because I don't identify myself as just AA. I am guessing that they will not assume I am URM because I put "other." However, I am thinking about talking a little bit about it in my PS because it has affected my life. 

You will be fine. I had similar numbers, am a white female, and got into FSU, UM with $, Stetson with $ and Florida waitlisted me (I withdrew after I got into better schools).

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2008, 11:03:43 AM »
What are my chances? I am mostly concerned about UF and FSU. I am an undergrad at UF and FSU is my first choice for law. I was pretty disappointed with my LSAT score and am probably going to retake in October, but is that a really a good idea? At first I thought I was ok with taking it again but as time goes by, I am losing interest in a retake.
Also, technically I am URM (African American Father, Caucasian mother) but I chose to classify myself as "other" with LSAC because I don't identify myself as just AA. I am guessing that they will not assume I am URM because I put "other." However, I am thinking about talking a little bit about it in my PS because it has affected my life. 

You will be fine. I had similar numbers, am a white female, and got into FSU, UM with $, Stetson with $ and Florida waitlisted me (I withdrew after I got into better schools).

Thanks for the hope :-) I'm hoping to get some money out of FSU....thus me contemplating the retake. It's already cheap, so no money wouldn't keep me away but the less loans the better.

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2008, 11:16:58 AM »

Thanks for the hope :-) I'm hoping to get some money out of FSU....thus me contemplating the retake. It's already cheap, so no money wouldn't keep me away but the less loans the better.

It's really not a bad deal if you're in-state. ARe you?

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2008, 11:51:08 AM »

I am in state (thankfully) so it's an incredible deal on tuition. My undergrad was paid for by Florida Bright Futures so I have no debt. I know I won't be able to keep it that way with law school but every little bit helps. I'm not looking for a free ride or anything, even if I retest I know I won't score well enough for that. But any money is better than nothing!

On another note, I am UG at Florida so if they waitlisted me, I think my reaction would be "screw you." I am proud to be a gator, but Florida has a big ego. I would probably be annoyed, not for any rational reason... just out of spite.

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2008, 01:05:29 PM »

I am in state (thankfully) so it's an incredible deal on tuition. My undergrad was paid for by Florida Bright Futures so I have no debt. I know I won't be able to keep it that way with law school but every little bit helps. I'm not looking for a free ride or anything, even if I retest I know I won't score well enough for that. But any money is better than nothing!

On another note, I am UG at Florida so if they waitlisted me, I think my reaction would be "screw you." I am proud to be a gator, but Florida has a big ego. I would probably be annoyed, not for any rational reason... just out of spite.

That was pretty much my reaction. I think they did it because I did undergrad at UT.

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2008, 01:32:12 PM »
Do you happen to know how difficult it is to qualify for residency reclassification in Florida? From my understanding, it's pretty damn tough, if not impossible. Can you confirm that? I like both FL and FSU, but not at their out-of-state tuition rates. If I could be reclassified as a resident in my second year, I would strongly consider both.

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2008, 01:51:38 PM »

Do you happen to know how difficult it is to qualify for residency reclassification in Florida? From my understanding, it's pretty damn tough, if not impossible. Can you confirm that? I like both FL and FSU, but not at their out-of-state tuition rates. If I could be reclassified as a resident in my second year, I would strongly consider both.
According to the website, you can establish residency after your first year. You have to establish in state residency for at least 12 months. So I am assuming that the summer after your 1 L year you could apply for in state residency. Here is the link to the policy on the UF website: http://www.admissions.ufl.edu/residency/qualifying.html. At the bottom of the page there is a link to the request change of residency form so you could take a look at that and see what kind of paperwork it asks you for. Even if you have to pay out of state for your first year, the savings on your second and third are pretty awesome if you can establish residency.