Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 159 Lsat, 3.9 GPA-Florida Schools  (Read 5015 times)

green918

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 159 Lsat, 3.9 GPA-Florida Schools
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »
Thanks for everyone's help! :-)
Accepted: University of Florida, Florida State
Pending: UGA

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 06:55:01 PM »

Does that mean you will be applying to Vandy and Boalt?

green918

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 07:42:53 PM »

Does that mean you will be applying to Vandy and Boalt?

Probably not. I want to stay in the south and I don't quite like the price tag, even if I could get a higher LSAT score and get in. I know that it's an "investment in my education" and all that but if I want to stay in Florida, I really don't see the point in going through the extra trouble, especially with in state tuition at Florida Schools. I am a debt-a-phobe and have managed to escape undergrad with zero debt. I know that will be impossible for law school, but the less I owe, the better.  Thanks for the encouragement though. Who knows, maybe I will get a great score on the retake and change my mind!

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 08:46:52 PM »

Even with your curren score PLUS URM status, you have a good chance of getting into some lower Top 14 law schools, especially Cornell, Georgetown, Duke and particularly Boalt.  You should also apply to Vandy and others. With a degree from those schools, you're virtually guaranteed a six figure income.  With a degree from FSU, you have to be close to the top to get a six figure job.

green918

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 09:50:15 PM »

Even with your curren score PLUS URM status, you have a good chance of getting into some lower Top 14 law schools, especially Cornell, Georgetown, Duke and particularly Boalt.  You should also apply to Vandy and others. With a degree from those schools, you're virtually guaranteed a six figure income.  With a degree from FSU, you have to be close to the top to get a six figure job.

I'll probably still be sticking with FL schools. Honestly, I don't want to move. At all. Also, I personally have a problem with the whole "URM" status. I don't want their pity. I was raised primarily by my white mother in the suburbs and was in gifted programs and all of that. So I don't think that my race has affected by life as far as economic opprotunities.(Of course this does happen for some people so this is not meant as a blanket statement for everyone, just for me) If my stats aren't good enough to get in without URM (in my particular situation), I don't want to go. If I retest and get more in range for T-14, I might consider applying. I'd def. have to weigh the pros and cons. I also have family and significant other to consider.

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 09:56:11 PM »
While I'm a big believer that where you want to practice, family, and other factors should matter just as much, if not more than income and prestige, the least you should do is try to get some application fee waivers from Vanderbilt, Duke, and other leading universities in the South if that's the region you'd like to stay in.

Even if you have no intention of going anywhere but FSU or Florida you should still apply and see what happens. Who knows, you might get in with scholarship. Its always nice to have options, even if it doesn't change where you eventually choose to go.
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

green918

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 10:20:09 PM »
While I'm a big believer that where you want to practice, family, and other factors should matter just as much, if not more than income and prestige, the least you should do is try to get some application fee waivers from Vanderbilt, Duke, and other leading universities in the South if that's the region you'd like to stay in.

Even if you have no intention of going anywhere but FSU or Florida you should still apply and see what happens. Who knows, you might get in with scholarship. Its always nice to have options, even if it doesn't change where you eventually choose to go.

I will probably give it a go but pretty much any school (yes even T-14) would have to give me a full ride or pretty damn close to lure me away. but I guess anything's possible. ::)

Thanks again for the encouragement and advice guys (I don't mean it sarcastically).

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 12:41:09 AM »
Hello there Gator.  ;)

You will be fine at both FSU and UF. If you have no out of state ambitions, than don't worry about a retake.

And if you want a preview of law school, sign up for Con Law, Race Law, or American Civil Liberties with Professor Stafford in the poli sci department!!! Best law school prep UF undergrad can give you. :D
Vandy 1L... really?

kenpostudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - kenpostudent@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 03:50:38 AM »

As if a six figure income is all that matters in a legal education! I guess I missed that memo.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 07:08:40 AM »

As if a six figure income is all that matters in a legal education! I guess I missed that memo.

Most people want this out of law school, fwiw.