Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 159 Lsat, 3.9 GPA-Florida Schools  (Read 5265 times)

green918

• View Profile
    • Email
159 Lsat, 3.9 GPA-Florida Schools
« on: July 25, 2008, 06:17:27 PM »
What are my chances? I am mostly concerned about UF and FSU. I am an undergrad at UF and FSU is my first choice for law. I was pretty disappointed with my LSAT score and am probably going to retake in October, but is that a really a good idea? At first I thought I was ok with taking it again but as time goes by, I am losing interest in a retake.
Also, technically I am URM (African American Father, Caucasian mother) but I chose to classify myself as "other" with LSAC because I don't identify myself as just AA. I am guessing that they will not assume I am URM because I put "other." However, I am thinking about talking a little bit about it in my PS because it has affected my life. 
Accepted: University of Florida, Florida State
Pending: UGA

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: 159 Lsat, 3.9 GPA-Florida Schools
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 08:45:17 PM »
According to the lsac calculator it looks like you have a really good chance of getting into either school. Florida state looks like a lock for you!

If you want to see for yourself http://officialguide.lsac.org/UGPASearch/Search3.aspx

You should also try www.lawschoolnumbers.com if you would like to see whether other people with your numbers got in. 
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

green918

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 08:51:02 PM »
Thanks!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 09:09:07 PM »
You're pretty much in at both, especially if you're a Florida resident.

Claim the AA and you'll probably get a scholarship to boot.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

green918

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 10:12:23 PM »

I am indeed a Florida resident. I saw from some of your other posts that you go to FSU. Do you think I should retake the lsat? I know the median is 160 so I am right on the borderline. Some people have told me that a higher score may increase my chances of getting scholarship money, but I'm unsure of how true that is. ( And don't worry I'm just wondering your personal opinion as a student, not basing all of my decisions on what I read from lsd).

As for my AA status, it is a personal decision for me that I put on my application what I actually identify myself as. I consider myself biracial and chose not to disclose my race for undergraduate and scholarship applications. I may talk about it in my p.s. because I think it is part of my "diversity," but I think just checking AA on my application and then talking about being biracial will be hypocritical of me.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »
The state of Florida does not practice AA, so it doesn't matter. Your numbers are fine for any of the law schools in FL. People with lower numbers than yours get into UF and FSU. Good luck!
Vanderbilt 2010

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 01:13:41 AM »

I am indeed a Florida resident. I saw from some of your other posts that you go to FSU. Do you think I should retake the lsat? I know the median is 160 so I am right on the borderline. Some people have told me that a higher score may increase my chances of getting scholarship money, but I'm unsure of how true that is. ( And don't worry I'm just wondering your personal opinion as a student, not basing all of my decisions on what I read from lsd).

As for my AA status, it is a personal decision for me that I put on my application what I actually identify myself as. I consider myself biracial and chose not to disclose my race for undergraduate and scholarship applications. I may talk about it in my p.s. because I think it is part of my "diversity," but I think just checking AA on my application and then talking about being biracial will be hypocritical of me.

On AA status, fair enough, I can respect that. Technically, I can claim Native American status, but it's something I never really stayed in touch with and that hasn't meant much to me, so I don't. I can certainly respect someone else for making a similar decision.

On actually getting to Florida State, of course a higher LSAT will never hurt you, but honestly, I think you should be good with your numbers. I made it to FSU with a 3.8/156, and though I have some good softs, I'm not a resident. And remember that though you're right below the median with your LSAT, you're above the 25% and your GPA is well above the 75%. Really, looking at the numbers, I would be nothing short of amazed if you didn't make it.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 12:59:11 PM »
I agree with the other posters.  I would be very surprised if you don't make it into both schools. 

I also recall from looking at UF's applicants last cycle on LSN that many undergrads from UF that had LSATs in the 160s received some nice scholarships.  A few points COULD help you gain some nice change, although your URM status might help you there.  (However, I don't remember if that made a difference at UF.)

Good luck!

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 02:31:39 PM »
The state of Florida does not practice AA, so it doesn't matter. Your numbers are fine for any of the law schools in FL. People with lower numbers than yours get into UF and FSU. Good luck!

You're correct that the official policy of the State of Florida is to not practice AA. However.... I know several FSU law students who are African American and received substantial (if not full) scholarships when they did not have the typical numbers to receive these types of scholarships. (in fact, for several of them, their numbers were substantially below even the 25% ranges of LSAT and GPA) I'm not saying AA is a bad thing in most aspects, but even though its not the official policy of the State of Florida to practice AA, it doesn't mean its not done.

To the OP: Regardless of what you decide, you should be fine at FSU with your GPA and LSAT. You should also be good at UF. However.... I knew at least one girl at FSU Law who had basically your same numbers, (and a UF alumn). FSU accepted her right off the bat, but UF Law took forever to accept her. She actually purposely decided NOT to attend UF because of this. (took it as a slap in the face actually...she was a part of UF's hall of fame, and they still did this to her)

Good luck.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 03:02:56 PM »
What are my chances? I am mostly concerned about UF and FSU. I am an undergrad at UF and FSU is my first choice for law. I was pretty disappointed with my LSAT score and am probably going to retake in October, but is that a really a good idea? At first I thought I was ok with taking it again but as time goes by, I am losing interest in a retake.
Also, technically I am URM (African American Father, Caucasian mother) but I chose to classify myself as "other" with LSAC because I don't identify myself as just AA. I am guessing that they will not assume I am URM because I put "other." However, I am thinking about talking a little bit about it in my PS because it has affected my life. 

I think you should definately send some applications to some lower Top 14 law schools, especially Boalt, Duke, and Georgetown.  In addition, also add Vandy to your list.