Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CNN's Black In America  (Read 6657 times)

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: CNN's Black In America
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008, 08:38:49 PM »
I thought the thing was kind of all over the place. They spent just long enough so that you start getting interested in the subject and then jump to a totally different segment. The whole reunion piece was a good example. So we see the reunion... then thats it, new subjects. Also, Soledad O'Brien was pretty clearly trying to make michael eric dyson and his brother cry.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2008, 10:02:49 PM »
The woman who hosted it was pretty hot, even though I'm not sure if she was black, white, Hispanic, Asian, or Middle Eastern. 

Soledad O'Brien. Quite fine. I remember reading somewhere that she's Cuban and Australian.

Is she married to Miles O'Brien who used to be CNN's anchor?

Nope. Coincidental. According to wikipedia, she's married to an I banker.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soledad_O%27Brien

If wiki's right, this is him
http://www.tweisel.com/AboutUs/Leadership/investmentBanking/

i feel like a stan.

She's 42??

Jonathan-NYC

• View Profile
    • Email
Ok.....what are you going to do??????
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 11:18:27 PM »
First let me say that I am "white", or rather, not "black".

Nothing I saw was new in this report.  In fact......I still have had the same question for years which is....

"Ok....so what are you going to do about these issues".  I have heard so many interviews with black people talking about "what we have to do", and see a rare few doing anything.  The only way to move on is to just move on, and do something about it.  I am quite sick of hearing excuses and reasons for why people are in such a bad state.  Who gave a crap about the Jews?  Just do something about it and stop talking about it!

Therefore, before this post gets ANY fiery responses from my fellow black Americans, ask yourself what you have done about it, and what you are doing about it.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
Re: Ok.....what are you going to do??????
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 11:40:25 PM »

Nothing I saw was new in this report.  In fact......I still have had the same question for years which is....

"Ok....so what are you going to do about these issues".  I have heard so many interviews with black people talking about "what we have to do", and see a rare few doing anything.  The only way to move on is to just move on, and do something about it.  I am quite sick of hearing excuses and reasons for why people are in such a bad state.  Who gave a crap about the Jews?  Just do something about it and stop talking about it!

Therefore, before this post gets ANY fiery responses from my fellow black Americans, ask yourself what you have done about it, and what you are doing about it.

It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

doubledown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Ok.....what are you going to do??????
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 12:04:45 AM »

Word.  Jonathan-NYC...to quote Michael Evans from Good Times, "Don't show' yo' ignorance!"

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 12:31:09 AM »
The woman who hosted it was pretty hot, even though I'm not sure if she was black, white, Hispanic, Asian, or Middle Eastern. 

Soledad O'Brien. Quite fine. I remember reading somewhere that she's Cuban and Australian.

Is she married to Miles O'Brien who used to be CNN's anchor?

Nope. Coincidental. According to wikipedia, she's married to an I banker.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soledad_O%27Brien

If wiki's right, this is him
http://www.tweisel.com/AboutUs/Leadership/investmentBanking/

i feel like a stan.

Damn and here I was thinking he was giving up to all us average looking white dudes that we too could marry up.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 12:49:27 AM »
Hopefully you all caught this yesterday and the day before.  If not they're re-airing this weekend.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2008/black.in.america/

For those who saw it - Thoughts?

To be honest I was quite disappointed with the woman one more than I was w/ the man one but I was disappointed in both.  The woman one didn't have very much variety. Therefore I could see some intellectual making the argument that all the problems they were having could be explained by something other than race.  But I think in all fairness I built it up in my mind too much before seeing it.  They made it seem like it was going to be this groundbreaking thing...and it wasn't.

Dyson and his bro was an interesting segment. Although I really couldn't get down with the whole dark skin light skin thing they were trying to do.  Bit of a stretch.

I watched the first one on black women and was sorely disappointed so I skipped the one on black men. I guess the target audience wasn't black people in the slightest. I can say, though, since it aired, white people have been less afraid to ask to touch my hair:-\

Ask?  I went through a period in college where people felt the need to rub and or touch my head Every time I got it cut. Nothing peeved me more than that.

Word 7S-  at least you got asked!  I wouldn't even know what to do with myself if I got asked.  They just do.  But it's slightly better than my own ppl yanking the crap out of my hair and asking me "is that weeve"?
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 01:34:07 AM »
Hopefully you all caught this yesterday and the day before.  If not they're re-airing this weekend.

To be honest I was quite disappointed with the woman one more than I was w/ the man one but I was disappointed in both.  The woman one didn't have very much variety. Therefore I could see some intellectual making the argument that all the problems they were having could be explained by something other than race.  But I think in all fairness I built it up in my mind too much before seeing it.  They made it seem like it was going to be this groundbreaking thing...and it wasn't.

Dyson and his bro was an interesting segment. Although I really couldn't get down with the whole dark skin light skin thing they were trying to do.  Bit of a stretch.

I watched the first one on black women and was sorely disappointed so I skipped the one on black men. I guess the target audience wasn't black people in the slightest. I can say, though, since it aired, white people have been less afraid to ask to touch my hair:-\

Ask?  I went through a period in college where people felt the need to rub and or touch my head Every time I got it cut. Nothing peeved me more than that.

Word 7S-  at least you got asked!  I wouldn't even know what to do with myself if I got asked.  They just do.  But it's slightly better than my own ppl yanking the crap out of my hair and asking me "is that weeve"?

lol. I guess "is that weave" is the black girl specific to "acting white."
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 10:09:39 AM »

lol. I guess "is that weave" is the black girl specific to "acting white."

LOL and it pisses me of to no end when they assume that it is weave even when I tell them it's not.  I always want to say "yep and these are my very own teeth too"   LOL, they set us back a few decades!
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 10:20:12 AM »
Wow I have never had the desire or ever asked any of my balck freinds if I could touch thier hair.

<--- maybe I'm not a very good white guy freind?
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.