Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CNN's Black In America  (Read 6278 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
    • Black Law Students Association
CNN's Black In America
« on: July 25, 2008, 04:40:49 PM »
Hopefully you all caught this yesterday and the day before.  If not they're re-airing this weekend.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2008/black.in.america/

For those who saw it - Thoughts?
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: CNN's Black In America
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 09:50:58 PM »
Well, overall, I thought that both specials were just preaching to the choir.  I'm sure that MOST of us knew everything that was talked about in both specials.  The only new thing I learned was that an educated black man was basically on the same playing field as a white felon when searching a job.  I knew it was bad, but not that bad.

Furthermore, I though that the black male segment was handled much better than the black woman segment.  It seems that the BM segment was more balanced in the stories that they chose to show--essentially, tempering a disheartening story with a positive one.  I wonder why they didn't profile more successful black women like they showed a fair amount of successful black men.

That's what I thought off of the top of my head...I'm sure I'll thing of more once I see some responses.

Oh, and that family with the 3 sons?  I knew that they would be with white women.  JSIA,
lol.

ETA: Joseph Phillips, aka Martin Kendall can kiss my ass with his *&^%.  I can't believe that he essentially blamed DL's son for having a gun pulled out on him by cops because of the way he was dressed.  Are you f-ing serious?  So what about the black man who was accosted that was dressed nicely, only bc he was in a white neighborhood?  GTFOHWTBS.
Columbia 3L

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 11:44:20 PM »
Hopefully you all caught this yesterday and the day before.  If not they're re-airing this weekend.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2008/black.in.america/

For those who saw it - Thoughts?

nothing about folks who come from the islands...the caribbean?  quite a different take.
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

officeguy

• ? ? ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 03:40:27 AM »
It really did not cover enough issues that are affecting the black community. I was hoping that it would not only try to shed light on the problems that the black community face, but show more of the sucesses and display how diverse of a group of people it is. Like previously said, most of what was discussed, most black people are pretty aware of.

I also felt like it focused too much on older black people and the struggles that they went through;I mean it was releavnt, but they could of went more in depth with the issues of modern young blacks.
Other than that, I think it did an alright job in getting it's messege across.
"I want an anti-gravity machine. I saw it in a movie. You drink the potion, and then you just start floating all around"

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 11:56:03 AM »
I thought it was kinda meh. Also kinda lame how the family that had "made it" had a son who got arrested over some drug-related *&^%. But it's CNN, so it has to be sensationalized a bit. Same deal with the economist from Harvard, some of his family ran a crack business/were cracked out. Would have been nice to see some folk with no major pathologies doing their thing.Wouldn't have been hard, hell CNN is HQ'd in the ATL. Plenty of black folk doing their thing the right way in the A. But that makes for boring TV.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 12:05:12 PM »
I haven't seen it yet, but a friend of mine said that she thought the black man segment was like an infomercial for black men, complete with lots of "success" testimonials, which I thought was kind of funny. 
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 12:37:02 PM »
I thought it was OK. I watched the first one, but missed the “black Man” one.  As a pasty white guy I thought the first one was pretty good at letting white folk know what its like to be black in the US now. I did find it, again, as a white guy, a bit preachy, it just seemed to me not as much documentary as much as see what you have done to us. I guess I was expecting more of a Discovery type documentary, rather than an exposé.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 12:38:23 PM »
I watched the first one on black women and was sorely disappointed so I skipped the one on black men. I guess the target audience wasn't black people in the slightest. I can say, though, since it aired, white people have been less afraid to ask to touch my hair.  :-\
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 12:40:51 PM »
I guess I was expecting more of a Discovery type documentary, rather than an exposé.

me too.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

doubledown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 01:56:22 PM »
I watched the first one on black women and was sorely disappointed so I skipped the one on black men. I guess the target audience wasn't black people in the slightest. I can say, though, since it aired, white people have been less afraid to ask to touch my hair:-\

Ask?  I went through a period in college where people felt the need to rub and or touch my head Every time I got it cut. Nothing peeved me more than that.