Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CNN's Black In America  (Read 6769 times)

lollypotter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: CNN's Black In America
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2008, 10:35:48 PM »
As a black woman I'm so glad I watched the first show.

See, all this time I've been laboring under a miscomprehension, a false assumption as it were. I'm glad the show could help me clear this up. See, all this time I just assumed that a black woman was a woman who was black. You know, a black female. But thanks to CNN, now I know that a black woman is just a curtain, which opens to reveal the truly important phenomenon: the black man. The original translation of 'black woman' is apparently invisible opening act. I mean, a whole two hours devoted to black women is wayyy too much; thank goodness they just dropped the pretense half way through and got back to talking about the black man. For a second there, someone was trying to give black women a voice. ::)
Homer & Bart: Lisa's going to Stanford, Lisa's going to Stanford...
Lisa: Take it back!
Homer:... Stanford!

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2008, 11:14:11 PM »

See, all this time I've been laboring under a miscomprehension, a false assumption as it were. I'm glad the show could help me clear this up. See, all this time I just assumed that a black woman was a woman who was black. You know, a black female. But thanks to CNN, now I know that a black woman is just a curtain, which opens to reveal the truly important phenomenon: the black man. The original translation of 'black woman' is apparently invisible opening act. I mean, a whole two hours devoted to black women is wayyy too much; thank goodness they just dropped the pretense half way through and got back to talking about the black man. For a second there, someone was trying to give black women a voice. ::)

I laughed myself into a coma after reading this  :D
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2008, 10:18:43 AM »

LOL  :D

I have to say, there was definitely too much of the black male up in the alleged black women segment. 
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

lollypotter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2008, 10:57:54 AM »
 :D

Yeah, it was really irritating. Especially since they defined so many of the issues around black men. They talked about 'baby daddies', 'educated women who can't find a man' etc, and then they spent a massive slot of time to a single dad.

I wish it was a proper documentary rather than an 'expose'.

I also wish the Washington Post would do another interactive series on black women this time. That was probably the best series on race I've ever seen (if someone has another one they can suggest, please do.)
Homer & Bart: Lisa's going to Stanford, Lisa's going to Stanford...
Lisa: Take it back!
Homer:... Stanford!

Gengiswump

• Sr. Citizen
  • "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2008, 01:37:04 PM »
I watched the first one on black women and was sorely disappointed so I skipped the one on black men. I guess the target audience wasn't black people in the slightest. I can say, though, since it aired, white people have been less afraid to ask to touch my hair.  :-\

Welcome to my world.

Also, I was disappointed in the handling AND pissed all over again about *&^% I already knew, which is basically a lose/lose.
Quote from: tj.
Write a PS on it, fuckstick.

Quote from: Miss P
Sometimes all you've got is a wacky hi-jink.

This is truly the ultimate in toolish douchebaggery.

Res nonnumquam ipsa loquitur, sed aliter aeternaliter queritur.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2008, 02:13:53 PM »
You know, though, I've never felt like CNN was talking to me. I remember when bin Laden invoked Malcolm X to sway black Americans over to his cause, CNN has the audacity to warn its viewers that black Americans were not a threat. I will never forget that.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2008, 07:42:14 AM »
I also wish the Washington Post would do another interactive series on black women this time. That was probably the best series on race I've ever seen (if someone has another one they can suggest, please do.)

Indeed.  Much better than what I've seen of the CNN thing.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2008, 08:18:48 AM »
I watched the first one on black women and was sorely disappointed so I skipped the one on black men. I guess the target audience wasn't black people in the slightest. I can say, though, since it aired, white people have been less afraid to ask to touch my hair. :-\

Welcome to my world.

Also, I was disappointed in the handling AND pissed all over again about poo I already knew, which is basically a lose/lose.

if you producing documentary on race, what put in it?

Gengiswump

• Sr. Citizen
  • "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2008, 12:42:31 PM »
I think the topic's too broad to do anything that even has a whiff of depth - I would never make a documentary on "race."
Quote from: tj.
Write a PS on it, fuckstick.

Sometimes all you've got is a wacky hi-jink.

This is truly the ultimate in toolish douchebaggery.

Res nonnumquam ipsa loquitur, sed aliter aeternaliter queritur.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2008, 12:49:52 PM »
can you imagine cutting off a slice of topic, such as race and (a) romance, (b) employment, (c) housing,  (d) military, or whatever?