Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can PT'ers apply to 1L jobs for their first summer?  (Read 1197 times)

rohan

• View Profile
Can PT'ers apply to 1L jobs for their first summer?
« on: July 25, 2008, 02:54:01 PM »
I know that students in the PT program at my school are typically 1 yr behind for OCI SA positions for 2L - and I assume that this is everywhere. Does anyone know if the same applies to Summer 1L or will I be "ineligible" (if there is such a thing for 1L jobs) to apply for Summer 1L jobs because I am PT?

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Can PT'ers apply to 1L jobs for their first summer?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 04:16:39 PM »
It depends on what school you are at. First year students don't participate in Fall OCI (at least at my school they didn't but I am fairly certain that is true everywhere) so you will most likely be looking for jobs starting in Nov through Spring. Also, 1L SA jobs are much harder to land anyway. I know many students volunteer over the summer after 1L.

I was pt last year and I am working as a law clerk this summer in a small firm. You will most likely have to branch out and find employment yourself which is totally doable.

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Can PT'ers apply to 1L jobs for their first summer?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 04:26:05 PM »
I know that people work it different ways -- whether you're "eligible" for any employer's 1L program is up to them, of course, and in this economy it's almost all volunteer work unless you're super snowflake.

Ideally (for my money), if you are in a four year program, get some legal work experience if at all possible and go for a summer associate program the summer before you're going to graduate (the 3e summer, which at GULC for example is recruited for alongside the 2L summer).   
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701