Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Suggestions for GPA 3.30 and LSAT 149?  (Read 11070 times)

joshbrown007

• View Profile
Suggestions for GPA 3.30 and LSAT 149?
« on: July 25, 2008, 02:29:34 PM »
So I understand that I do not have a super high GPA, 3.30, I could have worked harder in college I suppose and I just took my LSAT and received a 149, I know thats not tremendous as well, but I am wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for a person in my position, other than taking the LSAT again, which I am planning on in the fall. Some schools I am currently considering are Widener in Harrisburg and Duquesne in Pittsburgh. I am interested in schools that offer dual programs with Government specializations, whether it be Public Administration or what not. Thanks for your opinions

walker60

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions for GPA 3.30 and LSAT 149?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 02:51:50 PM »
I just looked at the LSAC GPA/LSAT calculator and it looks like you have a good chance of getting in to both. At Duquesne you have about a 50% chance or so and at Widener you have about a 65% chance.

Here's the link to the calculator:
http://officialguide.lsac.org/UGPASearch/Search3.aspx

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 05:25:40 PM »
I'd say you stand a good chance at and should consider California Western, Franklin Pierce, Nova SE, and Washburn.

Additionally, I think you have an outside chance at and should look at Albany, North Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

lilly22

• Washington & Lee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 02:06:32 PM »
I would apply to a bunch of the Tier 3 and 4 schools in your regional location. On the east coast, there is Widener, New England School of Law, Western New England, Duquesne, University of DC, Roger Williams, City University of New York and University of Baltimore (consult usworldnewsreport for a full list of T3 & T4 schools).

Usually it helps to have a least one strong factor (GPA or LSAT) to counter act the other lower one. Obviously you cant change your undergrad GPA, but I would consider retaking the LSAT. Maybe take a course or hire a private tutor. Or if thats outside your budget, buy some books with exams and practice, practice, practice (you can get them pretty cheap on amazon.com). If you really apply yourself, your score should jump at least 5 points, which will significantly increase your chances of acceptance anywhere.  and most law schools take your highest lsat score, so this will be beneficial.

i also would consider making your soft factors very good. make sure you secure good letters of recommendation that really show off your skill. work extra hard on presentation, and anything else you could possibly due to strengthen  your resume.

i hope this advice helps. good luck!

joshbrown007

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
yeah it does actually help alot, although right now I'm thinking of Franklin Pierce thanks so someone's suggestion and backup is Duquesne, should I just go ahead and apply to these schools with my current LSAT score or should I wait and take it over and apply a little later, the earliest I could apply for Franklin Pierce is October 1st, And the next time I could take my LSAT is later in October probably not getting my score back till like November or so. Would I be better off applying early with my current score? Or waiting and hopefully getting a slightly better one?

lilly22

• Washington & Lee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 04:22:04 PM »
Waiting to get a better one. Your time would be better spent now studying for the LSAT and not filling out applications. In fact, you cant even fill out most applications until August or September, and most schools accept until February or March. Also, most law schools use a rolling admissions cycle (filling up the class as they go along, not waiting until they have everyone's app). This means that you'll want to apply somewhere around the middle...if you apply too early, they'll balk at your 149 and reject you because they will wait for future applicants with higher scores. But if you apply too late, the class may already be full. Its a balancing act. according to LSAC, most people fill out their apps between thanksgiving and christmas and this, in combination with the holidays, can jam up the admissions process and make things move slower. To play it safe, I would apply around Halloween or so. You will surely have your LSAT score by then (mine popped up in my email box less than 2 weeks after I took the test and before the scheduled deadline they previously noted). And if you dont have it by then, you can still apply...by the time you fill out the app, the school requests your info, all your documents arrive at LSAC...your LSAT score will surely have arrived. Good luck!

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 11:16:17 PM »

You should add Texas Tech and Mississippi College, or even University of Arkansas or University of Mississippi.