Law School Discussion

Zero Ties to Texas. Should I apply to firms for 1L summer?

O.

Re: Zero Ties to Texas. Should I apply to firms for 1L summer?
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 03:22:35 PM »
Eh.  I appreciate the Houston trolling, but I can't imagine living there.  I'm from one of the most conservative states in the Union, and even its reputation strikes me as too Bible Belt*.

*Not that there's anything wrong with that.  Just not my style.

leostrauss

• The silence of a wise man is always meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 03:23:34 PM »
sigh . . . I'm an agnostic libertarian, and I love it. But do as you must.

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 03:36:37 PM »
The main reason why Austin is so much more competitive is simply it's not a very large legal market compared to Dallas or Houston.  I wouldn't say you bill less hours than you do in Houston though.  Actually, I know for a fact that at the major firms based out of Texas at least that it pretty much is the same whether you are in Houston, Dallas, or Austin.  That being said Texas firms do require less billable hours than most anywhere else. 

Also, Austin is just a cooler city.  Don't get me wrong I love Houston and all and that is probably will I where end up but being next to so many awesome lakes, right in the middle of the hill country, awesome music, etc. makes Austin pretty hard to beat.

However, I also would advise that from what I have seen Austin has much more limited practice areas than other cities in Texas.  It's almost completely centered on the technology industry or on government regulation.  Somebody who has worked there correct me if I am wrong but from the firms I know that is how it is.  So Austin really isn't the place to be if that is not your interest.

O.

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 05:21:19 PM »
I hate to sound like a jerk, Prodigy, but do you think it's possible that only HYS and Texas people are in Texas because they're the ones that apply?  Have you seen a hiring partner say, "Well, this resume is from a Columbia, or UVa, or Chicago graduate without Texas ties, so let's throw it out"?

I would imagine that I'm one of the few that has any interest in a state to which I have no ties.  It's not as if Texas is LA or NYC.

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 06:12:22 PM »
I hate to sound like a jerk, Prodigy, but do you think it's possible that only HYS and Texas people are in Texas because they're the ones that apply?  Have you seen a hiring partner say, "Well, this resume is from a Columbia, or UVa, or Chicago graduate without Texas ties, so let's throw it out"?

I would imagine that I'm one of the few that has any interest in a state to which I have no ties.  It's not as if Texas is LA or NYC.

Yeah, doubtful. Nice try, though. You will no doubt find a large number of people interested in the market, many because of the high pay + low cost of living, others because they just like the idea of living there, or are looking for any job they can get.

SA positions are competitive, and smaller markets tend to be particularly concerned with your motivation for choosing the area. That said, the only thing you lose by sending a resume is a little time. It may not pan out, but you don't know if you don't try. 1L SA positions, for most people, require sending out a large number of resumes and getting a few responses.

Also, you can use your friends to talk up your connection to the area. It's not a great connection, but it's better than "You pay 160k"