Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Exact Deal with Wait List right now  (Read 3508 times)

tommy1

• View Profile
Exact Deal with Wait List right now
« on: July 25, 2008, 11:30:35 AM »
Hello Everyone

So ....couple of the schools I am wait listed have told me that they are currently OVER-Enrolled for their incoming class...this is very upsetting and disappointing...
anyways, does this happen a lot every year or for some reason this is the first year? (that is what the schools made it sound like)
Also, for schools like this, is there really any chance of being accepted from the wait list at all? I know some people say that there have been cases where people are called during orienation or first week of school and are accepted, but will this even happen for schools like these that are over-enrolled?

I hope others are having the same concerns as me, but also hope people can help me out here.
I don't even know what I can do anymore.

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Exact Deal with Wait List right now
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 11:45:57 AM »
yes, this is common.  schools over enroll because they know a certain number of students will decide not to go to school after all, will get accepted to better schools, or will just change their mind and go to school A over school B.  Because some schools don't make students pay a large seat deposit students can sit on multiple acceptances till mid-july and stay on waitlists up until classes start.  This board has many examples of people that get phone calls the week of orientation or the first week of classes with seats being offered off the waitlist.  I think you would hear more about it on here but once school starts most people forget about this forum and get busy with classes.
University of Oklahoma '11

tommy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 03:37:43 PM »
yes, this is common.  schools over enroll because they know a certain number of students will decide not to go to school after all, will get accepted to better schools, or will just change their mind and go to school A over school B.  Because some schools don't make students pay a large seat deposit students can sit on multiple acceptances till mid-july and stay on waitlists up until classes start.  This board has many examples of people that get phone calls the week of orientation or the first week of classes with seats being offered off the waitlist.  I think you would hear more about it on here but once school starts most people forget about this forum and get busy with classes.

THank you so much for the reply. (I wish more people replied...)

About how many people, though, actually get accepted during orientation or first week of class from the Wait List? ...
Also, if I haven't been accepted from the Wait List right now, does that mean I probably won't be at least until mid August when orientation starts and all? Especially since nothing is happening until their regarding deposits and stuff?

lilly22

• Washington & Lee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 04:09:39 PM »
Hey Tommy-

I heard the same thing from a couple of my schools too. There is a possibility they will be going to the waiting list, but each day that passes that chance is less likely. Most students have had to pay some, if not all, of their fall tuition by now, so many are reluctant to jump ship after putting down the big bucks. However, there are a few people out there who may have just gotten into a higher tier and feel it is an opportunity they cannot turn down, or may decide for personal reasons that law school isnt going to work out. In that case, you may be offered a seat. However, these chances are small, so I wouldnt risk a seat at your present law school holding your breath for the waiting list. Most schools start in less than a month, so anyone that would be taken from the waiting list would be by a case-by-case wait list (not like the larger amount of offers that are usually made after the first & second seat deposit deadlines to schools). at best, I would say hold out until the beginning of august, but after that you really should focusing on the school to which youve been accepted. I know it sucks to hear that, but you could always transfer.

Basically, the over-enrollment is often a consequence of the admissions selection a law school uses in its decision-making process. Based on their previous numbers, law schools that tend to "over-enroll" send out a more generous amount of acceptances within their LSAT/GPA range, knowing that many of those students will accept their offer. As a result, these schools fill their class from the get-go, and do not have to trouble themselves much by returning to select applicants from the waiting lists. Other schools, however, use different approaches. Some, to maintain highly selective ranking numbers, only send out a "small" amount of admissions letters to those students they really liked. Those same schools tend to have a smaller but strong waiting list of candidates of which they were also impressed but who do not have the highest scores to boost their school's rankings. If their class does not fill from the initial offers, they continue to make their class highly selective by re-evaluating all of their waiting list candidates in effort to flesh out their incoming class (ie who has the next highest scores, what geographic region do they need more people from, what gender/nationality do they need more of, etc etc). The admissions process is such a game, its hard to anticipate your chances.

Also, I'm not sure which schools you're talking about, but check out this website. http://www.lawschoolpower.com/Law_School_Waitlist_Data.htm
It lists the % of applicants a school waitlists and how many are usually taken from the waiting list. Maybe you could form a better idea of whether or not your school is a very active waitlist school or not.

If you are still very interested in your waiting list schools and are willing to wait until the last minute, I would repeatedly send them emails. You do not want to get annoying, but I would send a letter of continued interest every week or so,  so that your name repeatedly is at the top of their inbox and they remember you when they turn to the waiting list. I would also visit the school if you can and request to speak to an admissions counselor, where you should express your sincere interest to attend the school. If possible, secure an extra letter of recommendation.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

jamesp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 10:57:19 PM »
Tommy,

Is Wake Forest one of the schools that is currently over enrolled? Their emails sure don't make it sound like they are, but you never know.

Thanks and Good Luck

tommy1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 02:57:19 PM »
Hey Tommy-

I heard the same thing from a couple of my schools too. There is a possibility they will be going to the waiting list, but each day that passes that chance is less likely. Most students have had to pay some, if not all, of their fall tuition by now, so many are reluctant to jump ship after putting down the big bucks. However, there are a few people out there who may have just gotten into a higher tier and feel it is an opportunity they cannot turn down, or may decide for personal reasons that law school isnt going to work out. In that case, you may be offered a seat. However, these chances are small, so I wouldnt risk a seat at your present law school holding your breath for the waiting list. Most schools start in less than a month, so anyone that would be taken from the waiting list would be by a case-by-case wait list (not like the larger amount of offers that are usually made after the first & second seat deposit deadlines to schools). at best, I would say hold out until the beginning of august, but after that you really should focusing on the school to which youve been accepted. I know it sucks to hear that, but you could always transfer.

Basically, the over-enrollment is often a consequence of the admissions selection a law school uses in its decision-making process. Based on their previous numbers, law schools that tend to "over-enroll" send out a more generous amount of acceptances within their LSAT/GPA range, knowing that many of those students will accept their offer. As a result, these schools fill their class from the get-go, and do not have to trouble themselves much by returning to select applicants from the waiting lists. Other schools, however, use different approaches. Some, to maintain highly selective ranking numbers, only send out a "small" amount of admissions letters to those students they really liked. Those same schools tend to have a smaller but strong waiting list of candidates of which they were also impressed but who do not have the highest scores to boost their school's rankings. If their class does not fill from the initial offers, they continue to make their class highly selective by re-evaluating all of their waiting list candidates in effort to flesh out their incoming class (ie who has the next highest scores, what geographic region do they need more people from, what gender/nationality do they need more of, etc etc). The admissions process is such a game, its hard to anticipate your chances.

Also, I'm not sure which schools you're talking about, but check out this website. http://www.lawschoolpower.com/Law_School_Waitlist_Data.htm
It lists the % of applicants a school waitlists and how many are usually taken from the waiting list. Maybe you could form a better idea of whether or not your school is a very active waitlist school or not.

If you are still very interested in your waiting list schools and are willing to wait until the last minute, I would repeatedly send them emails. You do not want to get annoying, but I would send a letter of continued interest every week or so,  so that your name repeatedly is at the top of their inbox and they remember you when they turn to the waiting list. I would also visit the school if you can and request to speak to an admissions counselor, where you should express your sincere interest to attend the school. If possible, secure an extra letter of recommendation.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you!
[/quote

Thank You so much for the nice long explanation/reply. I found it very helpful.

tommy1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 02:58:30 PM »
Tommy,

Is Wake Forest one of the schools that is currently over enrolled? Their emails sure don't make it sound like they are, but you never know.

Thanks and Good Luck

Yea ...they didn't say they are over enrolled, bubt like you said, who knows. Do you know anyone or heard of anyone that has been accepted from the Wait List since mid July ?

justice4all

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 04:33:58 PM »
which schoold are you talking about

tommy1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 01:19:11 PM »
William and Mary
UNC

for the main ones...
but yea...
is it really rare that the school accept in cases such as these?