Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Be honest URMs: why does race-blind admissions really bother you?  (Read 42386 times)

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Be honest URMs: why does race-blind admissions really bother you?
« Reply #160 on: April 25, 2009, 10:33:02 PM »
How about America gives back the land it took, pays for the labor it was unjustly enriched by, gets rid of legacy admits, criminalizes all intoxicants instead of just the ones minorities use, abolishes the distinction between white collar crime and other crime and then strictly prohibits racial profiling?  What is it about that that really bothers you?

2. Those labor thieves are dead. Last I checked I'm not liable for even a murder my father commits.

O.J. Simpson was not deemed liable in the criminal case, however he was in the civil trial. The point is, ultimately, he was held responsible. So no, you're not guilty, however, you are responsible.
"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: April 26, 2009, 03:22:12 AM »
Race-blind or not, I would have gotten into top schools...for the record.

But now it can haunt you forever and you can grow to be bitter about it like Clarance Thomas.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #162 on: April 26, 2009, 08:31:16 AM »

But now it can haunt you forever and you can grow to be bitter about it like Clarance Thomas.

lol
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 26, 2009, 11:00:59 AM »

I actually don't believe that you've gotten into top schools anyway, so it's kind of a moot point.

Though to be fair, you've been noticeably less ridiculous lately.
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 26, 2009, 12:54:43 PM »

I knew Law Dog was a Tom. I knew it.
"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.

eruffin

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 26, 2009, 04:13:24 PM »

I actually don't believe that you've gotten into top schools anyway, so it's kind of a moot point.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Lawdog3/jd

The credited response is no--no top schools with 3.58, 163.
3.65, 175

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 04, 2009, 10:20:01 PM »

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Lawdog3/jd

The credited response is no--no top schools with 3.58, 163.

You say that without looking at a transcript, resume or letter. You've never read a siongle essay, but you can suspect that I do not have the qualifications for top law schools.

That shows how little you actually know about admissions (Law or other). Or, maybe you are just reeeeaaaallllyyy jealous.

Whether you like it or not, almost any URM with a 163 can get into a top school. My 163 on the LSAT is like your 170; it puts me in the 98th% (or better, I think) for URM's. Do you realize that? And not many URM's apply to law school. Top schools want top talent, so they must evaluate URM's against each other, not just the general pool.

And my record looks extremely strong. It would be downright irresponsible for an adcom anywhere to look at a GPA and LSAT and make a decision on those alone. Let's take a closer look, shall we? Since you love rankings so much, I have a 3.587 Cum from a top-10 Public Undergrad and a University ranked #59 in the WORLD, one that really should be ranked higher. My drama degree is from the #4 program in the country, and My GPA within that major was 3.8, and that excludes the straight-A's I received in my acting courses.

What I have done isn't even remarkable, considering that people have gotten into top schools with a less stellar accomplishments.

The first thing you need to know is that I write better than 75% of the people who apply to law school, thus, I was able to make Vandy's waitlist in my first time out with a 145!

I am from the west coast, applying to mostly east coast schools, that's geographic diversity, as well as racial. I am an older student; that's another type of diversity. I am an actor; that's professional background diversity.

Moreover, my best grades were in my last two years, where I held a 3.72 average. I completed my first two years in '96 and '97,  and many law schools won't even count grades that are 10 years old. That means the grades that held all of the weight came from 2001-2003. I also took my most difficult courses during that same period; all were advanced, and almost all had difficult writing requirements. I made the Dean's List and Vice President's list every eligible term. Remember, an upward grade trend is compelling. On top of that, my best grades were in Science, Mathematics, Political Science and English. I received a double-degree.

I also excelled in philosophy and psychology, courses notoriously difficult, yet recommended for law. Six of my last 15 courses required term papers of at least seven pages. I worked full-time (+), managing a non-profit and as an account executive (where I was a top salesman). In fact, I have been a top salesman at all of my jobs and received numerous awards. Those awards are documented, and my SIX very strong letters of recommendation have come from faculty or employers who had a big part in my receiving those awards.

I overcame socio-economic hardship, from a single-parent home; neither parent graduated from high school. I have received numerous civic awards, which I will NOT name b/c they are on the 'net. I have served as a motivational speaker, touring lower-income middle schools for several years. I co-directed a date-rape and domestic violence project. And I have performed as an actor in theater (at major regional theaters, I might add) in one Off-Broadway show (correction). Remember, I majored in Drama. I have also done television commercials. More professional diversity. 

There's much more that I could mention. Like the fact that I was a non-scholarship division-I athlete as a freshman (basketball).

And if you look at other T14 URM's on this site (there's a post on African American T14 admits), you will notice others with grades and GPA's similar to mine. In fact, someone got into Harvard with a 156. And I happen to know of people who got in with far less impressive records than mine.

And my posts are always on-point. If they weren't, you wouldn't be stupid enough to respond to them, now would you?

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 04, 2009, 10:22:37 PM »

A Tom. How does my saying that I was qualified regardless make me a Tom? You are misinterpreting that. All it means is that I have a strong record. These White people don't think I'm a Tom, I know that. Ask any of them if they think I "love" White people more than I love Blacks. They will laugh at you.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 04, 2009, 10:25:08 PM »

A Tom. How does my saying that I was qualified regardless make me a Tom? You are misinterpreting that. All it means is that I have a strong record. These White people don't think I'm a Tom, I know that. Ask any of them if they think I "love" White people more than I love Blacks. They will laugh at you.

I try not to laugh at anyone.  It seems unkind.

I make an exception for the haughty, however.
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 04, 2009, 10:28:13 PM »
He's bugged out b/c I laughed at some stupid joke about a gangbanger. I pointed out to him that if I was out of line, so are Chris Rock and every other black comedian who jokes about gangbangers. And I offered my support to the guy. So dude just looks stupid all around.