Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Be honest URMs: why does race-blind admissions really bother you?  (Read 43872 times)

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Be honest URMs: why does race-blind admissions really bother you?
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2009, 01:19:47 PM »
What is sizzler?  I'm so NY..
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2009, 01:35:15 PM »
I think there are some good arguments against AA. One being that when we admit kids who clearly have no reasonable shot to compete or graduate, then it hurts the kid in the long run. This is especially true if the kid has to stay in school more years than the norm to complete college or doesn't graduate at all. There the student is stuck with student loans which aren't dis-chargeable in bankruptcy and he has no degree or had such a poor showing that it is difficult or impossible to get a job or get into other programs to increase his upward mobility.

I think the arguments that focus on the unfairness to white applicants are particularly unpersuasive. Racial diversity has already been shown to be incredibly useful in the classroom for both minority students and majority students. In addition, racial diversity in colleges and universities have been useful for institutions and society. I can see no compelling reason to limit school's ability to choose individual applicants based on a wide number of criteria...race being one. If race was the primary factor or only factor used to evaluate African American applicants, then I would have a problem or if African American applicants were only competing against other African American applicants instead of the entire applicant pool, then I would have a problem. Neither of these situations seems to occur.

SES AA is persuasive, but as Miss P eloquently argued, SES AA and a desire for racial diversity are not mutually exclusive.  

YLS c/o 2009

This is wrong.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2009, 01:35:55 PM »
What is sizzler?  I'm so NY..

A steak house. And not a very good one.

A terrible one.  Don't eat the steak.

But it's a buffet, and I like most things but the steak.  Basically, I'm a glutton.
I do not like hats.
I do not like them on bats.
I would not like them near cats.
I would not like them made out of mats.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2009, 01:49:24 PM »
I think there are some good arguments against AA. One being that when we admit kids who clearly have no reasonable shot to compete or graduate, then it hurts the kid in the long run. This is especially true if the kid has to stay in school more years than the norm to complete college or doesn't graduate at all. There the student is stuck with student loans which aren't dis-chargeable in bankruptcy and he has no degree or had such a poor showing that it is difficult or impossible to get a job or get into other programs to increase his upward mobility.

I think the arguments that focus on the unfairness to white applicants are particularly unpersuasive. Racial diversity has already been shown to be incredibly useful in the classroom for both minority students and majority students. In addition, racial diversity in colleges and universities have been useful for institutions and society. I can see no compelling reason to limit school's ability to choose individual applicants based on a wide number of criteria...race being one. If race was the primary factor or only factor used to evaluate African American applicants, then I would have a problem or if African American applicants were only competing against other African American applicants instead of the entire applicant pool, then I would have a problem. Neither of these situations seems to occur.

SES AA is persuasive, but as Miss P eloquently argued, SES AA and a desire for racial diversity are not mutually exclusive.  

Right. This.

This is wrong.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2009, 01:51:19 PM »

This is wrong.

Er, I mean, this is right.  In every way.
I do not like hats.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2009, 01:52:36 PM »

This is wrong.

Er, I mean, this is right.  In every way.

Do you resent him for it?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2009, 02:00:35 PM »
Racial diversity has already been shown to be incredibly useful in the classroom for both minority students and majority students. In addition, racial diversity in colleges and universities have been useful for institutions and society.

This is SO true, w/o the token minorities in my school I would never get to use my favorite phrase when talking down to them: "you people," this alone has made my educational experince richer and more rewarding.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2009, 02:01:41 PM »
I'm white, but when it comes to AA, I only resent white people who resent URMs. (Sofa King Entitled.)

You said that "AA causes more problems between races as whites resent URMs for getting a leg up." Oh halp. I am so confused. Pennirose, diagnose me! Am I not really white?
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2009, 02:03:40 PM »
I'm white, but when it comes to AA, I only resent white people who resent URMs. (Sofa King Entitled.)

You said that "AA causes more problems between races as whites resent URMs for getting a leg up." Oh halp. I am so confused. Pennirose, diagnose me! Am I not really white?

You people (womenz) are just too emotional in the first place, that your problem. And white guilt and penis envy and that bleeding thing, gross.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

This is wrong.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2009, 02:05:50 PM »
Racial diversity has already been shown to be incredibly useful in the classroom for both minority students and majority students. In addition, racial diversity in colleges and universities have been useful for institutions and society.

This is SO true, w/o the token minorities in my school I would never get to use my favorite phrase when talking down to them: "you people," this alone has made my educational experince richer and more rewarding.

:D :D :D

My experience was even richer -- I ALSO got to say it to teh gayz!
I do not like hats.