Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Be honest URMs: why does race-blind admissions really bother you?  (Read 43487 times)

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Be honest URMs: why does race-blind admissions really bother you?
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2009, 08:55:15 PM »
You are right...sorry.

Fixed below...

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2009, 08:57:25 PM »
If there is some mysterious, ubiquitious white privelege, it sure hasn't helped me one bit. Like I said, how do I get in on this? Maybe I got kicked out of the club when I stopped dating white girls.

Look. Racism is so deeply ingrained in this country that you (i.e., whites) don't notice it; it's part of the system. You are so used to the advantages you have gained, not through any merit of your own  (the ones bestowed upon you at birth, I mean) that you cannot conceive of anything better. You think things are comfortable because they are comfortable FOR YOU. Whites hear our complaints and think something is being taken away from them.

They truly disbelieve in "ethnic pluralism", the myth upon which this country was not founded, but purports to operate under. And those who are comfortable in the system don't like the idea of somne form of "compensation" (not monetary) so that everyone has an equal chance. So I understand the resistance.

But do not tell me you are resisting compensation because you don't see what needs to be accounted for...that's an inherent contradiction. Why would someone resist equalization of a system that supposedly "isn't providing them any advantages"? I mean, if that is true, then surely you wouldn't begrudge tinkering with a system clearly DOES NOT WORK for other groups.

Race-blindness is not something we can truly acheive in this system right now. I hope that, one day, we will. I do not agree with AA, but I agree with some type of system that recognizes the inherent disadvantages some people face due to uncontrollable factors.

And, nobody could date women of color and be as unenlightened as you appear to be. Watch the movie "Something New" and get a clue. The white dude in that movie had to.

See, Miss P?  If I hadn't tagged this thread, I might have missed out on this little gem. 
The main partner in their Entertainment Law group went to CLS, but he was Fiske and on LR, so be careful.  You don't want to set yourself goals that are too high.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2009, 09:07:35 PM »
Seriously, someone needs to fill me in on this Great White Privilege thing! I must not be well-informed because, silly me, I've been working my ass off for the last 12 years to get to where I am! Had I known that everything would just be handed to me because I'm white, well, I might have done it all differently. Forget working 60 hours a week and going to school full-time, sleeping 3 hours a night to maintain a high GPA, and doing hours of homework. Why didn't you guys tell me that success would just be handed to me because I'm white? Damn!

Oh...woe is me. I actually have a job where I work 60 hours a week, while many of my equally deserving counterparts are systematically denied this "curse".  ::)...forgetting also that, few people of color would have access to the job in the first place, and of those who did, most might be working 80 just to get half as far as I have.

All those poor people of color in America... gee, they have a harder time getting into Yale. I'm will cry for them. In my girlfriend's country, the natives don't have electricity, running water, government assistance, access to education, access to healthcare or government loans for education. They're best prospects are to work in markets and swap meets for the rest of their lives. In Peru, there is virtually no chance of ascending classes. If you are born into the native class, that is where you stay, unless you lead a government Coup (think Chavez in Venezuela).  But I understand that Americans have it so bad. Cry me a river.

Yes. And the difference is that most of the people around her suffer the same disadvantages. Wealth disparities within closed geographic areas, which, due to the ubiquity of electronic media in industrialized nations means essentially entire countries, creates a whole different dynamic.

If you are on an island, and two different tribes endure the same struggles and have roughly the same opportunities...and neither is mistreated by-and-large by the other, there will be  little or no dissention between them. If, on the other hand, one tribe forces the other onto the island and enslaves the tribe to create wealth for itself, there is inevitably a massive disparity in wealth, "relative wealth", or whatever you may call it. And if one tribe dominates the other, creates laws designed to keep the other tribe disenfranchised, and only modifies those laws when its dominance is literally insurmountable...and those changes are only so subtle as to falsibly compensate for the injustice, problems between the two tribes will be extant.

I cry for you because you will go to that other place...the one down below that you don't believe exists, if you don't change your thinking. You are the reason for 911. Boy...some of you will never learn, will you?

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2009, 09:10:36 PM »
How about America gives back the land it took, pays for the labor it was unjustly enriched by, gets rid of legacy admits, criminalizes all intoxicants instead of just the ones minorities use, abolishes the distinction between white collar crime and other crime and then strictly prohibits racial profiling?  What is it about that that really bothers you?

+100!

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2009, 09:39:32 PM »
How about America gives back the land it took, pays for the labor it was unjustly enriched by, gets rid of legacy admits, criminalizes all intoxicants instead of just the ones minorities use, abolishes the distinction between white collar crime and other crime and then strictly prohibits racial profiling?  What is it about that that really bothers you?

1. Why don't you start with your first house?
2. Those labor thieves are dead. Last I checked I'm not liable for even a murder my father commits.
3. What? Crack vs. Alcohol? Unsure what you mean here.
4. White collar crime is distinguished because it generally doesn't deal with direct physical attacks on people. Sorry mate, there's a huge difference between sticking a gun in my face to take my money and stealing from my bank account. What you ask? The weapon.
5. As for racial profiling, yes I agree it should not happen. It does, if it happens to you and you suffered some tangible damage - lost wages, confinement, etc., then find a lawyer. Actually, I am a lawyer, send me a pm and we'll sue or I'll find you a lawyer who will.

Ahhh...I knew it. Someone always brings up the "Slavery is Over" argument. Let me tell you something: people of color only mention slavery because whites like to compare us to Irish, German, Sciotish, and Polish immigrants. So that's the utility slavery has in these discussions.

For my purposes, I hate to even discuss slavery. I was not a slave. I don't know any slaves/former slaves, though I know someone who does.

Let me tell you...we "couldn't care less" (that is the proper way to use that cliche) about slavery but for your immigrant toolbag. I'm more concerned with the problems of today:

Modern-day lynchings by police; selective enforcement; profiling and disparate sentencing in our CURRENT criminal "JUST US" system, redlining, housing discrimination, discrimination in public accommodations, inadequate schools, employment discrimination, like shopping malls as well as hotels, predatory lending, drug infestation in our communities by rich white and Latin men who make deals with our government to trade for slave-labor in South America, the perpetuation of negative stereotypes by print and electronic media, Hollywood and the fashion industry, and the general apathy that whites express towards all of it.

Barack Obama's election was only the result of white self-interest in fixing the problems white-America has right now: their sons and daughters in an ill-advised war, bad economy, rising education costs, diminshed access to health care, fear of (Latino) immigrants.

As soon as things are turned around, he'll be thrown out with the rest of what you believe is garbage, and things will go back to post-Clinton/pre-911.

And that is what is so sad about this country. Whites only do what they are forced to do, and they refuse to change so that ours is an "inclusive" country (club).

As for your list above, since when are sticking a gun in white people's faces and stealing from a bank mutually exclusive and primarily attributed to people of color? White men rob most of the banks in this country (and at gun-point). Is that not your money?

Moreover, people of color commit their crimes, violent or not, primarily against other people of color, because, due to those sentencing disparities I spoke about (and the fact that a white man's/woman's life is deemed more valuable than that of a person of color), we know we can minimize the punishment we may normally get by targeting people of color. And our victims are more accessible and vulnerable, because they are concentrated in our geographic areas. The police will investigate less vigorously if the victim(s) is/are minorities, and there will be little (if any) press/media coverage unless at least one of our victims or institutions is white/white-owned. 

It's funny how white people always fear some Black guy beating them up, raping them or ripping off/robbing their stores. You need to check out the crime statistics. The most heinous crimes (especially where white women are concerned) are overwhelmingly perpetrated by white men. Every serial killer in this country has been white (the ATL Child Murders investigation is controverted).

By selling cocaine, one is still killing people...how is powder more innocuous than Crack? Crack is more addictive, but powder kills more people because it is more widely distributed and used. Plus, we neither flew nor floated that stuff into the country in the first place. The question for you should be..."Who did?" How about...the powder Cocaine dealers who sell their product to the Crack dealers, as well as the sellers and users of the powder form of the drug?

And whites distribute "liquid Crack" aka, malt liquor and other alcohol products with impunity. Cigarette companies are the single biggest killer on the planet...aren't you a little pissed off at them for killing someone in your family by giving them cancer? They murdered your grandfather, grandmother, father, uncle, aunt, etc. But, noooo...they're just business people, right? They're "legitimate"...according to the law(s) ::)...madebyourwhitegovernment [sic]. Crime is crime, and killing is killing. You cannot justify sentencing disparities. 

Italian mafia figures are glamorized for their crimes, but Black men are villified for the same activities...prostitution, gambling, even murders. Speaking of prostitution...that game is only so severely penalized because Black men dominate it. If white men had the game to dominate it...if they knew how to turn women out without opening up strip clubs, they would be doing it, and they wouldn 't go to jail for it.   

That kind of hypocrisy is what makes people hate America...as I have said before.

This is wrong.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2009, 09:52:52 PM »
Let's not tar everyone with the same brush.  Those types of polarizing distinctions aren't useful in this context.
I do not like hats.
I do not like them on bats.
I would not like them near cats.
I would not like them made out of mats.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2009, 10:09:38 PM »
Let's not tar everyone with the same brush.  Those types of polarizing distinctions aren't useful in this context.

he does have a tendency to hyperventilate, don't you think?

lol! still in control...how areya?!

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2009, 07:24:09 AM »
You are the reason for 911. Boy...some of you will never learn, will you?

Nice...

Italian mafia figures are glamorized for their crimes, but Black men are villified for the same activities...prostitution, gambling, even murders. Speaking of prostitution...that game is only so severely penalized because Black men dominate it. If white men had the game to dominate it...if they knew how to turn women out without opening up strip clubs, they would be doing it, and they wouldn 't go to jail for it.   

Do you even live in the same country that I do?  You must have missed the past 10 years of pop culture...

And as if white people have never sold flesh.

That kind of hypocrisy is what makes people hate America...as I have said before.

Other countries, and actors, in the world are free from such hypocrisies themselves.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2009, 08:31:12 AM »
Speaking of prostitution...that game is only so severely penalized because Black men dominate it. If white men had the game to dominate it...if they knew how to turn women out without opening up strip clubs, they would be doing it, and they wouldn 't go to jail for it.   

I sincerely hope you didn't mean this the way it came across.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2009, 02:53:22 PM »
You are the reason for 911. Boy...some of you will never learn, will you?

Nice...

Do you even live in the same country that I do?  You must have missed the past 10 years of pop culture...

And as if white people have never sold flesh.

Other countries, and actors, in the world are free from such hypocrisies themselves.

Okay. I'll amplify that staement. White men have sold flesh. But now they sell it through massage parlors and strip clubs. Just another example of the hypocrisy I spoke of.

And you are right, it's not fair to paint any group with a broad brush.