Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Be honest URMs: why does race-blind admissions really bother you?  (Read 45443 times)

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Be honest URMs: why does race-blind admissions really bother you?
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
Seriously, someone needs to fill me in on this Great White Privilege thing! I must not be well-informed because, silly me, I've been working my ass off for the last 12 years to get to where I am! Had I known that everything would just be handed to me because I'm white, well, I might have done it all differently. Forget working 60 hours a week and going to school full-time, sleeping 3 hours a night to maintain a high GPA, and doing hours of homework. Why didn't you guys tell me that success would just be handed to me because I'm white? Damn!

Oh...woe is me. I actually have a job where I work 60 hours a week, while many of my equally deserving counterparts are systematically denied this "curse".  ::)...forgetting also that, few people of color would have access to the job in the first place, and of those who did, most might be working 80 just to get half as far as I have.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2009, 05:43:14 PM »
You know damn good and well why it bothers them (the unqualified ones, anyway), though I'd say "scares" is probably more accurate.

if you get in, you're qualified. Schools have way more qualified applicants than they have spots for admission. Anti-AA people think that only the best numerically qualified applicants are qualified which is the dumbest thing ever. It is part of the reason why their merit arguments always fail to gain traction because they can never prove that a particular applicant is unqualified.

My point exactly...

Another point: The best educated people in this country have ripped it apart, starting with a famous Yale AA admit named Bush! Oh no? Legacies aren't also a form of AA? You just spent eight years with a presidential administration headed by a guy who, had he been Black, would never have sniffed State-U, let alone Yale. And they have the nerve to google Barack Obama to death and seek his LSAT score(s). A Black C-student wouldn't be allowed to manage a McDonald's, but a white C-student ran the country (into the ground)...white priviledge, dawg!

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2009, 08:55:04 PM »
tag!

It's really not worth it, kiddo. 

Well you and tm. are two of my favorite posters.  I want to keep up with what you are saying. 
The main partner in their Entertainment Law group went to CLS, but he was Fiske and on LR, so be careful.  You don't want to set yourself goals that are too high.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2009, 10:28:18 PM »
So...answer my question. Do you agree that there is an inconsistency between acknowledging the existence of white priveledge and complaining about AA?

absolutely not.  a person can just claim that he or she is selfish and complain about things even if he or she acknowledges that they are just.

What you just wrote isn't cogent. Is some of the text missing? Or do you really believe what you wrote?

BTW...remind me to expose you as completely inferior to me later on. I read another post where you question the truth of my advice to a Latino applicant: 2.8/172 with a 4.0 masters degree and good softs. I advised him to apply to T-14's and you said I was giving bad advice.

Prove it...chapter and verse...what admissions book/booklet or website can you quote that says I am wrong? And can you explain statistically and philosophically why I am mistaken? Because I can tell you with 100% certainly you are wrong. He has a good shot, and I can give proof straight from adcom's mouths.

But it's your turn, since you tried to refute me. Respond on the other post. EVIDENCE please.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2009, 10:59:46 PM »
So...answer my question. Do you agree that there is an inconsistency between acknowledging the existence of white priveledge and complaining about AA?

absolutely not.  a person can just claim that he or she is selfish and complain about things even if he or she acknowledges that they are just.

What you just wrote isn't cogent. Is some of the text missing? Or do you really believe what you wrote?

BTW...remind me to expose you as completely inferior to me later on. I read another post where you question the truth of my advice to a Latino applicant: 2.8/172 with a 4.0 masters degree and good softs. I advised him to apply to T-14's and you said I was giving bad advice.

Prove it...chapter and verse...what admissions book/booklet or website can you quote that says I am wrong? And can you explain statistically and philosophically why I am mistaken? Because I can tell you with 100% certainly you are wrong. He has a good shot, and I can give proof straight from adcom's mouths.

But it's your turn, since you tried to refute me. Respond on the other post. EVIDENCE please.

read it again slowly and see if you get it.

also, where's the latino applicant?

and the idea of you thinking i'm inferior to you amuses me greatly.

I forgot what thread, but its relatively new (yesterday?, or the day before?)

I will read again. If it says what I think it does, I disagree, of course...but no reason to belabor the point. I am more interested in your response on that applicant. I think you wrote "terribly misinformed" or something to that effect...someone wrote that on my MFA post also...and he will get it too.

Like I said, evidence v. evidence.

kenpostudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - kenpostudent@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2009, 02:21:55 PM »
Seriously, someone needs to fill me in on this Great White Privilege thing! I must not be well-informed because, silly me, I've been working my ass off for the last 12 years to get to where I am! Had I known that everything would just be handed to me because I'm white, well, I might have done it all differently. Forget working 60 hours a week and going to school full-time, sleeping 3 hours a night to maintain a high GPA, and doing hours of homework. Why didn't you guys tell me that success would just be handed to me because I'm white? Damn!

Oh...woe is me. I actually have a job where I work 60 hours a week, while many of my equally deserving counterparts are systematically denied this "curse".  ::)...forgetting also that, few people of color would have access to the job in the first place, and of those who did, most might be working 80 just to get half as far as I have.

All those poor people of color in America... gee, they have a harder time getting into Yale. I'm will cry for them. In my girlfriend's country, the natives don't have electricity, running water, government assistance, access to education, access to healthcare or government loans for education. They're best prospects are to work in markets and swap meets for the rest of their lives. In Peru, there is virtually no chance of ascending classes. If you are born into the native class, that is where you stay, unless you lead a government Coup (think Chavez in Venezuela).  But I understand that Americans have it so bad. Cry me a river.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2009, 03:14:23 PM »

All those poor people of color in America... gee, they have a harder time getting into Yale. I'm will cry for them. In my girlfriend's country, the natives don't have electricity, running water, government assistance, access to education, access to healthcare or government loans for education. They're best prospects are to work in markets and swap meets for the rest of their lives. In Peru, there is virtually no chance of ascending classes. If you are born into the native class, that is where you stay, unless you lead a government Coup (think Chavez in Venezuela).  But I understand that Americans have it so bad. Cry me a river.

Of course, if you're not concerned about the relative disadvantages of people of color and poor people in this country, then you're certainly not going to have any issues with the impact of affirmative action on white law school applicants with middling numbers, right?  I mean, they all have electricity and running water.  For the most part, anyway.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

This is wrong.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2009, 06:17:52 PM »
I forgot what thread, but its relatively new (yesterday?, or the day before?)

I will read again. If it says what I think it does, I disagree, of course...but no reason to belabor the point. I am more interested in your response on that applicant. I think you wrote "terribly misinformed" or something to that effect...someone wrote that on my MFA post also...and he will get it too.

Like I said, evidence v. evidence.

i'm sure it was me.  i've found most of your posts to be pretty inaccurate.  but hey if i missed the bit about the applicant being latino well then that's a point for you.  i don't recall commenting on anyone who identified as latino.

and you haven't presented any evidence anywhere.  maybe you left it back at TLS.

That's what I hate about you WASPs.  Always so quick to pass judgment.
I do not like hats.
I do not like them on bats.
I would not like them near cats.
I would not like them made out of mats.

kenpostudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - kenpostudent@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2009, 01:20:12 PM »

Of course, if you're not concerned about the relative disadvantages of people of color and poor people in this country, then you're certainly not going to have any issues with the impact of affirmative action on white law school applicants with middling numbers, right?  I mean, they all have electricity and running water.  For the most part, anyway.
[/quote]

At least minorities can be born in the ghetto and end up in the penthouse here in America. I can't say that for other countries. So, for all the talk about white privelege, minorities have opportunities in this country that they have nowhere else.

Whether or not Affirmative Action has led to these opportunities is worthy of debate, but the supposition that there is some overriding "white privelege" is irrelevant to the opportunities that minorities have. If there is some mysterious, ubiquitious white privelege, it sure hasn't helped me one bit. Like I said, how do I get in on this? Maybe I got kicked out of the club when I stopped dating white girls.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2009, 08:21:44 PM »
If there is some mysterious, ubiquitious white privelege, it sure hasn't helped me one bit. Like I said, how do I get in on this? Maybe I got kicked out of the club when I stopped dating white girls.

Look. Racism is so deeply ingrained in this country that you (i.e., whites) don't notice it; it's part of the system. You are so used to the advantages you have gained, not through any merit of your own  (the ones bestowed upon you at birth, I mean) that you cannot conceive of anything better. You think things are comfortable because they are comfortable FOR YOU. Whites hear our complaints and think something is being taken away from them.

They truly disbelieve in "ethnic pluralism", the myth upon which this country was not founded, but purports to operate under. And those who are comfortable in the system don't like the idea of somne form of "compensation" (not monetary) so that everyone has an equal chance. So I understand the resistance.

But do not tell me you are resisting compensation because you don't see what needs to be accounted for...that's an inherent contradiction. Why would someone resist equalization of a system that supposedly "isn't providing them any advantages"? I mean, if that is true, then surely you wouldn't begrudge tinkering with a system clearly DOES NOT WORK for other groups.

Race-blindness is not something we can truly acheive in this system right now. I hope that, one day, we will. I do not agree with AA, but I agree with some type of system that recognizes the inherent disadvantages some people face due to uncontrollable factors.

And, nobody could date women of color and be as unenlightened as you appear to be. Watch the movie "Something New" and get a clue. The white dude in that movie had to.