Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A question for people working in Biglaw...  (Read 17694 times)

kipford

• View Profile
Re: A question for people working in Biglaw...
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 10:53:28 AM »
Oh and I was talking to a buddy the other day and his take home pay last year as first year associate making 160K was right under 130K.  Seems pretty good compared to other places.

This won't take into account things like sales tax and property taxes, but should give you a pretty good idea of take home salary:

http://www.paycheckcity.com/codmba/netpaycalculator.asp

luckylady

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 11:39:50 AM »
The responses so far have been helpful, but I'm still curious - has anyone had a major lifestyle change since getting a biglaw job? How is your life different? Is the financial security worth the long hours?

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 09:06:11 AM »
My hours have been pretty brutal, but the money is worth it, at least for a while.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 09:56:10 AM »
tag

bt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 10:52:20 AM »
LRP, are you happy with your decision to go into biglaw?  I recall you went to Berkeley...are you happy with your decision, and with the amount of time you expect to take to pay off your school loans?

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 11:41:55 AM »
I just finished a 2L SA gig at big regional firm.  I didn't ever stay in the office past 5:30.  FTW!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 11:44:24 AM »
LRP, are you happy with your decision to go into biglaw?  I recall you went to Berkeley...are you happy with your decision, and with the amount of time you expect to take to pay off your school loans?

Honestly, given my loan burden it would have been difficult to do anything but Biglaw. I have a very tight relationship with a PI organization that I summered and externed with in Florida, and while I could have taken a job there, financially, it made more sense to do Biglaw, at least for a while.

IF I am smart about it, it shouldn't take more than five years, but Biglaw comes with the burden of having to dress and live the part, so I am spending more money on things I wouldn't have before.

Craven, your summer experience is not really indicative of what is expected of you and what is indeed the daily reality once you join. When I summered, between my fancy lunches, dog & pony shows from every practice group and various other activities, I did maybe 2 hours of billable work each day. Now I rarely leave the office before 8 pm.

Coqui

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 12:18:32 PM »
Craven, your summer experience is not really indicative of what is expected of you and what is indeed the daily reality once you join. When I summered, between my fancy lunches, dog & pony shows from every practice group and various other activities, I did maybe 2 hours of billable work each day. Now I rarely leave the office before 8 pm.

Lil' Russian Princess, are you practicing in Flordia or elsewhere?  I heard that 7pm is usually the latest over there.  I plan on moving back so really interested to know how the hours are over there.  Thanks!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2008, 01:25:41 PM »
No, not Florida. I work in London.

h2xblive

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2008, 02:17:19 PM »

Honestly, given my loan burden it would have been difficult to do anything but Biglaw. I have a very tight relationship with a PI organization that I summered and externed with in Florida, and while I could have taken a job there, financially, it made more sense to do Biglaw, at least for a while.

IF I am smart about it, it shouldn't take more than five years, but Biglaw comes with the burden of having to dress and live the part, so I am spending more money on things I wouldn't have before.

What extra expenses do biglaw jobs require over a public interest/government/smaller firm job?