Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does it mean anything when a firm asks for a transcript?  (Read 3338 times)

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
Re: Does it mean anything when a firm asks for a transcript?
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 11:44:05 AM »
Does it mean anything when a firm you've applied to asks for a transcript, or has my desperation driven me nuts?

I'm 3L at a top 20 school, in the middle of my class...I applied to a BigLaw firm a week ago and got an email today requesting a copy of my transcripts.

Does that mean they've seen the GPA on my resume and are still willing to consider me? Or is getting the transcript merely a meaningless formality?

I realize I could just wait for my rejection letter/email to come, but I'm desperate enough to ask what you guys think (I realize I am opening myself up to extreme abuse here, btw).

Don't read too much into it and send them the transcript. Most likely, no one here can answer your question unless they just happen to sit on the hiring committee of the firm in question.

Couple of questions, though, since I reinterviewed as a 3L and might have some tips for you.

1. Why are you reinterviewing?
2. Which markets and is your school a feeder into those markets?
3. Are you changing markets from your summer firm?
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

gubdowb83

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 07:33:39 PM »
1. I'm reinterviewing because last year's OCI was an utter failure (got lots of interviews but no offers) so I ended up working for a federal agency instead of a firm.

2. The firm that asked for the transcript was in the San Francisco area. My school is in the DC area so it's not exactly a feeder school, but I have heard of quite a few classmates who received offers in that region.

3. My summer job was at a federal agency in DC.

In sum, my prospects are grim and I'm very hungry for a job.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 05:41:47 AM »
1. I'm reinterviewing because last year's OCI was an utter failure (got lots of interviews but no offers) so I ended up working for a federal agency instead of a firm.

2. The firm that asked for the transcript was in the San Francisco area. My school is in the DC area so it's not exactly a feeder school, but I have heard of quite a few classmates who received offers in that region.

3. My summer job was at a federal agency in DC.

In sum, my prospects are grim and I'm very hungry for a job.

You're right; that could be tough. Have you spoken with the career services folks at your school?
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.