Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does it mean anything when a firm asks for a transcript?  (Read 3288 times)

gubdowb83

• View Profile
Does it mean anything when a firm asks for a transcript?
« on: July 24, 2008, 08:43:11 PM »
Does it mean anything when a firm you've applied to asks for a transcript, or has my desperation driven me nuts?

I'm 3L at a top 20 school, in the middle of my class...I applied to a BigLaw firm a week ago and got an email today requesting a copy of my transcripts.

Does that mean they've seen the GPA on my resume and are still willing to consider me? Or is getting the transcript merely a meaningless formality?

I realize I could just wait for my rejection letter/email to come, but I'm desperate enough to ask what you guys think (I realize I am opening myself up to extreme abuse here, btw).

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Does it mean anything when a firm asks for a transcript?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 10:14:31 PM »
Well, common sense tells me that it seems like a huge waste of time to request a transcript from you (both on your end, and most importantly, their end) if they weren't even going to consider you.  Most people that get rejections get them after a glance at the resume.

So while I don't think its a sign from god that an offer's coming, but there's no reason not to be at least a little optimistic about it.

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 11:58:03 PM »
Does it mean anything when a firm you've applied to asks for a transcript, or has my desperation driven me nuts?

I'm 3L at a top 20 school, in the middle of my class...I applied to a BigLaw firm a week ago and got an email today requesting a copy of my transcripts.

Does that mean they've seen the GPA on my resume and are still willing to consider me? Or is getting the transcript merely a meaningless formality?

I realize I could just wait for my rejection letter/email to come, but I'm desperate enough to ask what you guys think (I realize I am opening myself up to extreme abuse here, btw).

I've heard from an attorney who used to do interviewing that sometimes the recruiting administrator simply needs all materials required by the firm before the candidate is considered, regardless of his qualifications.

Then again, they might be interested.
2L

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 11:45:16 AM »

I've heard from an attorney who used to do interviewing that sometimes the recruiting administrator simply needs all materials required by the firm before the candidate is considered, regardless of his qualifications.

Then again, they might be interested.
This has been my experience.  I applied to some firms outside OCI as a 2L and a few asked me for a transcript (even though I attached one to my initial email).  All of such firms sent a rejection letter. 

The recruiting admin probably just wants to have everything in your file when she submits all of the applications to be reviewed.

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 11:47:09 AM »
Semi-related question--if you apply to a firm (not through OCI) do they generally send rejection letters? Or is it like other fields where you just never hear back?

gubdowb83

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 12:23:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback folks. With respect to the last post, firms will usually send you a rejection letter by regular mail if you've applied to them through OCI.

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 09:15:56 AM »
Semi-related question--if you apply to a firm (not through OCI) do they generally send rejection letters? Or is it like other fields where you just never hear back?
They should send rejection letters, though I've heard that some smaller firms don't necessarily send them out.  Regardless, you should keep a list of the firms to which you've applied and check back with them every 2 weeks until you hear a decision.

tribelaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 09:25:34 AM »
They should send rejection letters, though I've heard that some smaller firms don't necessarily send them out.  Regardless, you should keep a list of the firms to which you've applied and check back with them every 2 weeks until you hear a decision.

every 2 weeks?  Seems like they would be overwhelmed if everyone did that.  Although, it may force them to either reject you or actually consider you just to shut you up.

Do you suggest writing a letter or sending an email?

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 09:26:54 AM »
tag

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 11:18:21 AM »

every 2 weeks?  Seems like they would be overwhelmed if everyone did that.  Although, it may force them to either reject you or actually consider you just to shut you up.

Do you suggest writing a letter or sending an email?
I stuck to email, though some firms may prefer paper.  Two weeks is the guideline my CSO gave me, but if a firm tells you that they'll get back to you in a month, wait that month before you contact them.  My CSO told me that staying in touch with the firm shows your interest, which you need to show sometimes when you're applying to firms outside of your school's region.  I remember a number of firms responding a few days after my first 2-week follow up email, though most with interest had contacted me before 2 weeks had passed.

Another good idea is to contact any alums at the firm a week after you send your application, which will get a few people pulling for you when your name gets tossed around.