Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Preview: Is it WORTH it or just another SCAM?  (Read 1012 times)

JustDanny

• View Profile
    • Email
Law Preview: Is it WORTH it or just another SCAM?
« on: July 24, 2008, 12:53:29 PM »
I am attending a bottom T4 school (ST. Thomas, FL) and of course I am planning to transfer after my 1L to the highest ranked school possible.  I have spent the last 3 months in Dominique, a small island in the caribbean West Indies, just enjoying the end of my free time as best as I saw fit which includes getting my SCUBA licence, snorkeling, sailing, reading and relaxing in some of the world's most beautiful beaches and having fun in the sun.  Now that I am going back to the real world I am thinking that maybe I shoud take one of those Law Preview courses to make sure I have the "Upper Hand" so I can transfer.  Does anyone have any experience with those? 

Notice that the question is not "Should I transfer or not?", that decision has been made already.  I am not taking loans to go to school, any school, and even though St. Thomas is giving me some money for my 157 LSAT no other school would take the chance with my 2.4 GPA.  So the only option would be to transfer or apply earlier next year, which at 28 I don't want to do.
@#!* you and your self-righteous code of the goddamn streets. Did it pull you out of a 30 year stint in only 5 years? No, it didn't, I did.

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
Re: Law Preview: Is it WORTH it or just another SCAM?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 01:05:51 PM »
Law Preview's definitely a SCAM.   However, it appears that your real questions and concerns go beyond the credibility of the Law Preview program....
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

JustDanny

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 01:13:29 PM »
?
@#!* you and your self-righteous code of the goddamn streets. Did it pull you out of a 30 year stint in only 5 years? No, it didn't, I did.

Mori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 01:13:44 PM »
I would give anything to just spend 1 week basking in the sun&surf with no worries in the world!! I can't even fathom 3 months, lucky you!!

So to answer your question, although I don't have any first-hand experience, I really don't think it is a scam considering the reputable faculty that are involved. Anything you can do to improve your chances at success in your 1L in my book is worth looking at and investing in. I think this is crucial especially for someone who is coming from a T4 and is sure they want to transfer.

I always tend to think that many people at T4's simply go there because they feel they need to start law school asap, and KNOW they will end up transferring. So keep that in mind, that many of your classmates at your school are going into it with a similar mind set as you. This makes for tough curves and stiffer competition.

I know you have already made up your mind about attending a T4 and then transferring, but why would applying at 28 be too late? It is just 1 year, and imagine if you spent the next 6-8 months studying for the LSAT, you could get a much better score and not have to worry about transferring. It's just a thought :)

Good Luck!

EDIT:

I would check out this thread: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/students/index.php/topic,4010034.0.html

A lot of people say that Law Preview specifically is a waste of time and money and you should invest in study aides/guides instead.
LSN

"Congrats - you'll be the feminine hygiene product non trad gunner who everyone hates" -
Lollypotter