Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Prayers for the Bar Exam  (Read 1828 times)

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Prayers for the Bar Exam
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 08:27:14 AM »
Tax?  I don't know a single thing about tax, besides the alternative minimum tax.  My materials say that there has never been a straight-out tax question on the VA bar.

mtfbwy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 09:51:08 AM »
If tax comes up anywhere, it will be as a sub-issue; neglecting to properly address it won't blow the entire question (though if your answer is weak on the main issues, correctly addressing the tax issue might help to push your answer into passing territory). 

The likely sub-issue: in a family law essay, relating to divorce.  (i) Property settlement/division is a NON-taxable event (i.e., not income to the recipient). (ii) Child support payments are not tax deductible by the payor and are not income to the custodial parent. (iii) Alimony/spousal support (must be cash, not property) is income to the recipient and is deductible by the payor.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 10:55:16 AM »
Tax?  I don't know a single thing about tax, besides the alternative minimum tax.  My materials say that there has never been a straight-out tax question on the VA bar.

Yeah, but tax is so easy.  I am actually not sure about that crap barbri put out during the essay advantage sessions.  They said there hadn't been a straight out tax question in years, but the essay questions from the bar had dates in the questions that were late 90s and early 2000s with tax issues.  I'm just not putting a lot of stock in their spreadsheet.  Although, I didn't study tax heavily.  Only about an hour.  I'm pretty confident there will not be a straight tax question, but I would not be surprised to see questions related to alimony, corporate or partnership tax treatment.  Stuff like that. 

But, shoot me if there is a creditor's rights question because I'm totally screwed.  Good luck to you!  Enjoy Roanoke.

MiamiHurricane

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 12:54:25 PM »
I wouldn't mind a personal property question either.  I would gladly give up creditor's rights for one of those.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 10:30:04 PM »
New prayer:

I pray that my laptop doesn't fail on Tuesday during the essay portion of the exam.  And I pray that if it does fail, that it's not a problem with my hard drive so my exam answers can still be pulled off and saved.