Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA Law Critical Race Theory Program  (Read 4869 times)

MikeyBruin2008

• View Profile
UCLA Law Critical Race Theory Program
« on: July 23, 2008, 10:41:27 PM »
So I was at my home campus (UCLA) the other day and I stepped into the law admissions office and ask to speak with a admissions rep. I informed her that I was a recent graduate from UCLA and that I am considering coming to UCLA Law.

She started off by asking why I had a interest in coming to UCLA and in short I told her that there are potential family problems that might require me to stay close to home. I also told her that I was too happy with how UCLA kept single digits number of Blacks/African Americans in each of their incoming law school classes.

She at that point seemed to question why UCLA? She informed me "UCLA is a top-ranked school" we only take the best of the best who on average maintain a 3...At this point I stopped her...I informed her I am aware that the school has a 3.69 and a 167 average. I then told her what my gpa (3.789) and lsat (169). She stopped and I saw this suprise looked crawl on her face (as if she thought a black male at UCLA couldn't attain that.

She then seemed all excited about me applying and she said "apply to the critical race theory program." I had informed her that I was intersted in race and law, I especially have considered educational law and try shake things up with affrimative action being prac. in california.

So she explictly said "they would love to hae you...they hardly ever have students that are above the school average" she then provided me a book and I looked at the average admits for Critical race theory program 3.49 and 159 average...I hate to say this but is this the "easy way into UCLA"

Does anybody know why that the admissions standards are much lower for this program?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: UCLA Law Critical Race Theory Program
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 10:45:57 PM »
Because minorities with higher scores go elsewhere?

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 11:48:20 PM »
Honestly, I'd been too turned off at the way the woman came at you (automatically thinking that UCLA was too hard for you to get into) then changing her tune as soon as you told her your stats.

Honestly, you have a chance at SLS and a good chance at Berkeley...and, if your family situation works out, head over to YHCN.
Columbia 3L

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 12:41:20 AM »
So I was at my home campus (UCLA) the other day and I stepped into the law admissions office and ask to speak with a admissions rep. I informed her that I was a recent graduate from UCLA and that I am considering coming to UCLA Law.

She started off by asking why I had a interest in coming to UCLA and in short I told her that there are potential family problems that might require me to stay close to home. I also told her that I was too happy with how UCLA kept single digits number of Blacks/African Americans in each of their incoming law school classes.

She at that point seemed to question why UCLA? She informed me "UCLA is a top-ranked school" we only take the best of the best who on average maintain a 3...At this point I stopped her...I informed her I am aware that the school has a 3.69 and a 167 average. I then told her what my gpa (3.789) and lsat (169). She stopped and I saw this suprise looked crawl on her face (as if she thought a black male at UCLA couldn't attain that.

She then seemed all excited about me applying and she said "apply to the critical race theory program." I had informed her that I was intersted in race and law, I especially have considered educational law and try shake things up with affrimative action being prac. in california.

So she explictly said "they would love to hae you...they hardly ever have students that are above the school average" she then provided me a book and I looked at the average admits for Critical race theory program 3.49 and 159 average...I hate to say this but is this the "easy way into UCLA"

Does anybody know why that the admissions standards are much lower for this program?

if you enter...aye hope you dismantle the "race" misconception...you could go far...after all...there is no such thing as race.
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 01:50:37 AM »

if you enter...aye hope you dismantle the "race" misconception...you could go far...after all...there is no such thing as race.

Perception is reality.  As long as minorities are discriminated against based on their color or culture, there will always be "race."

You think everything you tough is solid, but that is not true.  There really is no such thing as solid as we know it.  But try explaining that to the average American bumpkin and you'll be wasting your breath and time.
When a candidate faces the voters he does not face men of sense [but] a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion. As democracy is perfected the White House will be adorned with a moron.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 10:15:16 PM »
still editing?

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 10:38:31 PM »

Perception is reality.  As long as minorities are discriminated against based on their color or culture, there will always be "race."

You think everything you tough is solid, but that is not true.  There really is no such thing as solid as we know it.  But try explaining that to the average American bumpkin and you'll be wasting your breath and time.

general perception...my friend...general mis-perception...discussing theoretical terms and terminology should apply more logic...more information...more facts...a false perception such as discussing that the earth is flat is a more analogous to the misconception and misperception of "race" than discussing the term "solid" and its definitions...why would you wish to study something from a bumpkin standpoint anyway...lets change it correctly and get it right? no?  besides even skin color does not dictate the same exact examples of experience from person to person...if you want to categorize people why would you use the term "Black" and "Indian"...if that is accurate...people percieve "indians" as "black" as well...and people percieve "arabs" and "latinos" as one in the same from a physiological standpoint...still a slighted prejudgement.

curiously...if you are to study race....{and aye am sure...since you are just beginning your studies that you can not and will conclude that you can not answer this question}...list as many races on the planet that you can?  aye bet you can't. ;)

if you study race...you are discussion a generality based on NO facts...if you are studying skin color and culture that is different...it is not race...it is physiognomy...and as we educated know...you are discussing physiognomy...not race...

why perpetuate a misconception? 

and aye challenge you to list some races in your next post...aye am sure you will be unable to do this... ;)  but good luck with your studies.