Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer acceptance letter from Washington & Lee  (Read 2154 times)

lordjay

• View Profile
Transfer acceptance letter from Washington & Lee
« on: July 23, 2008, 10:24:51 PM »
I've got a transfer offer from Washington & Lee. I know it's a top 25 school, and I'm pretty sure the school has great reputation.

My question is as follows:

1) How far is Lexington away from Washington D.C.? I'm currently a student at Buffalo NY, so I'm not sure whether I should drive or get rid of my car and just fly. The map indicates Lexington is pretty far away from D.C. (just as much as Buffalo is far away from NYC). I know I'm going to have to return to Buffalo anyway, because I gotta pack up my stuff. Would I need a car in Lexington? Or is Lexington like NYC that having a car is actually a burden?

2) I wonder how big a city Lexington is. One of the reasons why I desired a transfer was not because I had problem with my current law school, but I just wasn't able to enjoy my life at a small mid-size city. At one point, I was so emotionally stressed out that I had to go and see a doctor for psychological reasons during the middle of the semester. I eventually ended up falling in love with the school itself, but I just can't imagine myself returning and going through the pain of living in the area again. I made good- actually great - friends, so the school itself, I have no problem with, but it's the small city life I really want to avoid. So, how is Lexington like compared to D.C.?

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
Re: Transfer acceptance letter from Washington & Lee
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 10:45:17 PM »
I don't want to freak you out, but if you felt like Buffalo (the city, not Amherst, where the school is located) was small, I'm not sure how you're going to handle Lexington. I've only driven through, but it's a small town. I personally like small towns, but you might want to visit first and see how you feel about it. Especially if Buffalo had you actually depressed (though maybe it was more the 9 months of winter that was causing the depression?).

You'll need a car. I'm sure W&L students can weigh in with more info.

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 12:09:06 AM »
Do you have any idea what Lexington is like?  It's smaller than Buffalo.  Why didn't you apply to schools in big cities if that's the environment you're looking for?  Lexington is a small college town in the middle of nowhere.  Yeah you'll be able to get a DC job afterwards, I don't imagine Lexington has a significant legal market. 

Is this a flame?  It's hard to believe what you're saying is true.  If it is true, then by all means put that you speak three languages on your resume, are you kidding me?  Firms love that kind of stuff. And your undergrad record would compliment a career in IP law if you're interested in that at all.  Even if you're not, having a technical background will always be a plus. 

jusTTT

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 12:28:57 PM »
to the OP,
you should really look at the lexington subway map before deciding whether or not you need a car.  also, you need to decide if the biglaw firms that lexington has are ones that you would want to work at long term.

jusTTT

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 12:32:13 PM »
i hear that skadden is opening up a lexington branch in the next year.  latham already has one.  think you might want to work at those firms?

Navlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - merspice18
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 12:58:56 PM »
Have you ever been to Virginia in general? There really aren't too many medium sized cities here. And Lexington isn't even one of those. I love Lexington but it is a SMALL college town in the mountains and the closest city is probably Roanoke which isn't very big. If you want big city Virginia is probably not the state for you.

And you will definately need a car!
Quote from: IrrX
Hey, you don't want to push me in Nav's direction. That wonderful hair color and a uniform to boot, are you kidding me? :D
Quote from: mbw
Uh oh.  You'd better be careful - do you really want Nav mad at you?

OConnorScribe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 01:51:48 PM »
Dude, Buffalo is not that small ... it's one of the 15 biggest cities in the country ... or something like that. Maybe that's the metro area, though. Even so, it's a major area. You were in Amherst, which is on the line with Buffalo proper and yes, is pretty blah (I'm from Syracuse right off of the university campus, so I know the feeling.

That said, you should have applied to George Mason or one of the schools right in D.C. if a smaller scale caused you to suffer from Cabin Fever. I agree with other posters here, I'm not sure you'll be any better off at W&L, even if you would come out of there very competitive for city jobs. 
Pace '10

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 02:26:55 PM »
As a W&L alum, I am begging you, OP, if your post is true instead of some lame pseudo-flame attempt - please do not come to W&L.  Lexington will make Buffalo look like Tokyo, and the last thing W&L needs is another person with some woe-is-me story about how they can't survive without a Starbucks and/or Jamba Juice on every corner.

And I hear Skadden is opening its Lexington office by stealing Latham's guru of defending rich college kids on drunk in publics.  Total coup.  The legal blogs are on fire with the story.