Law School Discussion

USC vs. Fordham

Re: USC vs. Fordham
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 04:33:18 PM »
USC has a good football team, people on the East Coast have heard of them. Fordham... I'd honestly never heard of the school before looking into law schools.

If you're really worried about the portability of your degree, take USC.

You mention football prestige, then say you've never heard of Fordham.  ::)  ::)

That said, I'd go to USC if I was the OP.

Does Fordham even have a football team? Not really seeing where we're going with this one.

Fordham was once a powerhouse, a lot of history there... nevermind.

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2008, 06:40:12 PM »
This thread is ridiculous. Only one question really matters: do you want to practice on the east coast or the west coast?

Sure, Fordham can prob eventually get you a job out in Cali and USC can prob eventually get you a job in NYC, but if you are at the median at either school, you will still have an edge in the regional market whether its LA or NYC.

Regardless of what anyone says about which school is better or which one has a better program for this or that, in the grand scheme both schools are essentially on par as being the 3rd best in the market. Comparing them head to head will not work if don't first consider your geographic preferences for during and after law school.

If I were you, I'd go with Fordham.

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 09:10:07 PM »
There are two schools better than USC in LA?

It could be argued that UCLA is better than UCLA though they're pretty close...

But what is this mystery school in which you speak?

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 09:19:50 PM »
USC has a good football team, people on the East Coast have heard of them. Fordham... I'd honestly never heard of the school before looking into law schools.

If you're really worried about the portability of your degree, take USC.

You mention football prestige, then say you've never heard of Fordham.  ::)  ::)

That said, I'd go to USC if I was the OP.

Does Fordham even have a football team? Not really seeing where we're going with this one.

;D ;D

Anyone who has ever been to a USC away game knows the USC tradition, alumni network, etc. USC is a well known school with incredible opportunities after graduation.

Again:

;D ;D @ "Does Fordham even have a football team?" lmao.  ;D ;D

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 09:14:03 AM »
I wasn't referring to LA proper. The larger CA market, which funnels into LA.

I guess UCLA could mean USC is 4th.

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 09:59:43 AM »

I guess that's one way of looking at things.  Its wrong and all but fine with me if it works for you...

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 09:24:41 PM »
So I put the deposit down on USC, and am spending my morning tomorrow finding the cheapest available flight to go visit the school. I'll have to withdraw one of my applications within the week (I know, I know, I know, and I'm sorry to anyone still on the WL at either school! A spot will open soon!), but based on everyone's advice/opinions, I really need to see what I'd be leaving my entire life for before making the final call.

It's not entirely a matter of where I'll eventually be practicing. They're both great schools, and I figure some decent effort will make either degree work on either coast. I would love the new experience of USC/LA, but am not sure it's prudent to use law school as character-building/new experience time...

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 09:40:24 PM »
So I put the deposit down on USC, and am spending my morning tomorrow finding the cheapest available flight to go visit the school. I'll have to withdraw one of my applications within the week (I know, I know, I know, and I'm sorry to anyone still on the WL at either school! A spot will open soon!), but based on everyone's advice/opinions, I really need to see what I'd be leaving my entire life for before making the final call.

It's not entirely a matter of where I'll eventually be practicing. They're both great schools, and I figure some decent effort will make either degree work on either coast. I would love the new experience of USC/LA, but am not sure it's prudent to use law school as character-building/new experience time...

Visiting is a great idea.  And you do have to focus someone on where you'd rather work/live, if only because it will be SO much easier to get a job in the local market from either school.  (You can probably shift regions after a few year of work, though.)

Any hiring partner you ask at a V100 firm will tell you that once you start working your law school becomes irrelevant. Your law school get you your first job, after that it is based on performance.

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 10:18:46 PM »

I guess that's one way of looking at things.  Its wrong and all but fine with me if it works for you...

false