Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USC vs. Fordham  (Read 3041 times)

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: USC vs. Fordham
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 10:43:40 AM »
USC, obvi.

No one, and i repeat, no one has heard of Fordham on the West coast.  Not a one.

Plus, it's sunny and the alums are all about helping each other.

I don't know anything about the USC alum base, but the rest is spot on if you were to ask me. Like everyone else has been saying, if you want to stay in NY/NJ Fordham all the way, anywhere else, USC.
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 10:48:11 AM »
Both good, regional schools, but Fordham more so (in terms of being regional).

I'd go to USC unless you're focused in staying in NYC. Nicer weather, better overall school, better entertainment/sports program, etc.

krystal82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 10:14:32 PM »
I think Fordham will have more pull in the east coast, especially in the tri-state area. But Lindberg is right, they're both regional. Have you visited? I'm attending Fordham this fall and chose it over higher ranked schools, because it does very well in NYC. If that's what you want choose Fordham. If California, choose USC. Any money from either?

jt2075

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 12:45:59 AM »
There's the possibility for money at USC. I doubt I'll get anything at Fordham (but won't have to relocate, and would live driving distance from pretty much everyone I know, ultimately saving quite a bit). I haven't visited USC, and won't have time to now. I've been to Fordham, though. Anyone have input on USC's campus? I know the surrounding area is debatably sketchy...

Also, I called USC's Admissions office today to ask a few general questions before making my final decision, and they put me on the phone with one of the deans, who talked to me for about 10 minutes. She said USC does recruitment events in NYC and DC, and that USC placed 14 graduates in NYC last year (100% of the total # who interviewed for a NYC job and wanted one, she said). According to her, USC places very well on the east coast, esp. NYC and DC. Obviously, Fordham would be the safe, practical choice for definite NYC living, but USC has definite appeal...and wouldn't make it impossible for me to move back east...anyway, they offered to extend my deposit date to Monday (I didn't have to ask for the extension), and are putting me in contact with a student who chose USC over Fordham last year (This was brought up before I mentioned that Fordham was my other school)..overall, exceptionally nice Admissions Office. I was impressed.

krystal82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 12:53:58 AM »
Go where the money is. Where do you want to practice? in NY? or are you just not sure?

Honestly, i may in the minority when i say this, but I don't think Fordham is as regional as everyone makes it out to be. I just think most of the grads want to sty in NYC, and choose it for that reason.

However, if USC gives you money, and you're not sure where you want to practice, go there.

If it is NYC, i would pick Fordham hands down.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 01:15:04 AM »
There's the possibility for money at USC. I doubt I'll get anything at Fordham (but won't have to relocate, and would live driving distance from pretty much everyone I know, ultimately saving quite a bit). I haven't visited USC, and won't have time to now. I've been to Fordham, though. Anyone have input on USC's campus? I know the surrounding area is debatably sketchy...

Also, I called USC's Admissions office today to ask a few general questions before making my final decision, and they put me on the phone with one of the deans, who talked to me for about 10 minutes. She said USC does recruitment events in NYC and DC, and that USC placed 14 graduates in NYC last year (100% of the total # who interviewed for a NYC job and wanted one, she said). According to her, USC places very well on the east coast, esp. NYC and DC. Obviously, Fordham would be the safe, practical choice for definite NYC living, but USC has definite appeal...and wouldn't make it impossible for me to move back east...anyway, they offered to extend my deposit date to Monday (I didn't have to ask for the extension), and are putting me in contact with a student who chose USC over Fordham last year (This was brought up before I mentioned that Fordham was my other school)..overall, exceptionally nice Admissions Office. I was impressed.
The area gets a bad rap but it is perfectly safe because so many students live in the area; Unless you start driving south of 35th street to practice your gang signs, tough guy stare and crip walk, you'll be perfectly fine.

Whatever faults the area has are more than made up for by the campus.  It is fantastic.  The first time I went there it took my breath away.  Many many places to study, sit by one of the 20+ fountains and relax, or sit on a park bench and admire the fresh flowers.  USC spends over a million a year on landscaping alone, and it shows.

Throw away your shoes, socks, pants, heavy coat, mittens, ear muffs and buy a pair of sandals/flip-flips/slippers or whatever you like call them.

I wish I could go back in time and do it all over again. :-[
When a candidate faces the voters he does not face men of sense [but] a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion. As democracy is perfected the White House will be adorned with a moron.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 01:27:54 AM »
USC has a good football team, people on the East Coast have heard of them. Fordham... I'd honestly never heard of the school before looking into law schools.

If you're really worried about the portability of your degree, take USC.

You mention football prestige, then say you've never heard of Fordham.  ::)  ::)

That said, I'd go to USC if I was the OP.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 01:33:57 AM »

The area gets a bad rap but it is perfectly safe because so many students live in the area; Unless you start driving south of 35th street to practice your gang signs, tough guy stare and crip walk, you'll be perfectly fine.

Whatever faults the area has are more than made up for by the campus.  It is fantastic.  The first time I went there it took my breath away.  Many many places to study, sit by one of the 20+ fountains and relax, or sit on a park bench and admire the fresh flowers.  USC spends over a million a year on landscaping alone, and it shows.

Throw away your shoes, socks, pants, heavy coat, mittens, ear muffs and buy a pair of sandals/flip-flips/slippers or whatever you like call them.

I wish I could go back in time and do it all over again. :-[

Take the SC alum's words with a grain of salt.  Better to hear it from me, your unbiased Bruin.  The area surrounding USC is pretty run-down.  I'll leave it at that.  But the campus really is very nice...
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 02:17:06 AM »

You REALLY, REALLY, need to visit USC before making the decision.  That's the only way to get a feel for both schools, and for L.A. in general, which is where most of your opportunities will be.  (You may fall in love with SoCal and decide you want to stay there after visiting.)

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 02:20:55 AM »
Go where the money is. Where do you want to practice? in NY? or are you just not sure?

Honestly, i may in the minority when i say this, but I don't think Fordham is as regional as everyone makes it out to be. I just think most of the grads want to sty in NYC, and choose it for that reason.

However, if USC gives you money, and you're not sure where you want to practice, go there.

If it is NYC, i would pick Fordham hands down.

Both are obviously good schools, but USC is a top 15 program (more or less), while Fordham is a top 40 school.  Fordham has basically become a strong program because it's the #3 school in a major market.  Everyone who goes there basically goes there because they want to work in NYC.  Hence, all their grads stay in NYC as well.  The ensuing lack of national placement, and the lack of a national alumni base, contributes to the lack of a national reputation, which is why it's a relatively regional school given it's student numbers.

This, of course, is all relative.  It's obviously less regional than most schools.