Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USC vs. Fordham  (Read 3079 times)

jt2075

• View Profile
USC vs. Fordham
« on: July 23, 2008, 07:52:30 PM »
I was all set on Fordham, and just got the call from USC. I went to UG in NYC, and currently live in NJ. I'm looking at either Sports and Entertainment Law or Real Estate Law. I have no idea what to do. Thoughts?

XcuseMeMiss

• View Profile
Re: USC vs. Fordham
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 08:28:06 PM »
Both schools offering you any money?

From a COL perspective, I think both the NYC area and SoCal are gonna be about the same. However, you do also have to factor in the costs of having a car if you decide to go to SoCal.

From an Entertainment Law perspective, I think I'd go with USC if I were you. USC's entertainment law program is much stronger than Fordham's I think and also, USC offers much more classes catered to that area of law than Fordham.

I don't know anything about each school's real estate law program...

Congrats on your acceptances!

dans

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 03:26:51 AM »
Fordham if you want east coast, usc for west. Most people don't get to work on entertainment law right after school, that area has much more to do with personal connections more than anything(including at usc).

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 01:42:28 PM »
USC to escape New Jersey.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

jt2075

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 04:47:57 PM »
Thanks for the input! The prices of the schools would be comparable (except that I don't have to move to go to Fordham). I don't think I'd be a permanent west-coaster (but who knows), so I guess I'm curious how well a USC degree would translate from coast to coast. For such a great school (esp. in Entertainment Law), it seems like a lot of people on the east coast just haven't heard of USC. But I'm also not sure how far a Fordham degree would take me outside NYC (think, Connecticut or Mass...)...and I only have until tomorrow to decide. Yikes.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 07:29:39 PM »
USC has a good football team, people on the East Coast have heard of them. Fordham... I'd honestly never heard of the school before looking into law schools.

If you're really worried about the portability of your degree, take USC.

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 08:32:52 PM »
I'd go to USC unless working in NYC is your one, main goal. Then you're going to Fordham because they'll more easily be able to give you the connections you need to get a small firm job in New York should you finish in the bottom 25%. USC won't be able to do that for you.

Otherwise, I think all things point to USC.

argo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 12:43:48 AM »
USC has a good football team, people on the East Coast have heard of them. Fordham... I'd honestly never heard of the school before looking into law schools.

Bad enough you're translating everything to this stupid game, you also give bad advice.  Fordham is very well known and respected in New York Real Estate world.  I worked at Citi RE Capital Markets one summer and my MD (that's Managing Director) was a Fordham Law grad (a recovering lawyer).  USC is obviously better for Entertainment.  I assure you that not too many NYC Real Estate attorneys went to USC, though.
--
"And that is what is so great about the Internet. It enables pompous blowhards to connect with other pompous blowhards in a vast circle-jerk of pomposity."

-Bill Maher

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 01:16:33 AM »

Bad enough you're translating everything to this stupid game, you also give bad advice.  Fordham is very well known and respected in New York Real Estate world.  I worked at Citi RE Capital Markets one summer and my MD (that's Managing Director) was a Fordham Law grad (a recovering lawyer).  USC is obviously better for Entertainment.  I assure you that not too many NYC Real Estate attorneys went to USC, though.

What the @#!* crazy *&^% are you talking about? What stupid game? Are you contending that more people have heard of Fordham than USC, or that USC's football team isn't responsible for a large part of USC's name recognition with the common man? Good lord you lack common sense. It probably doesn't help that you're from NJ/NY.

Your reading comprehension needs some work as well. I said for portability the OP should take USC. Of course Fordham is going to be a bigger name in NYC and the surrounding area, you'd be retarded to assume otherwise. However, USC is going to play as well or better most everywhere else. And of course most NYC real estate attorneys didn't go to USC, USC people would probably never trade California for New York.

Don't get so pissed off whenever someone tells the truth about some school that you either spent too much money to go to, hope to spend too much to go to, or have some irrational loyalty to. I like Fordham based on everything I've seen, I really do. But I also recognize their limitations, one of those being that besides academic types and people from your neck of the woods, not many people have heard of Fordham.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 01:26:19 AM »
USC, obvi.

No one, and i repeat, no one has heard of Fordham on the West coast.  Not a one.

Plus, it's sunny and the alums are all about helping each other.
When a candidate faces the voters he does not face men of sense [but] a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion. As democracy is perfected the White House will be adorned with a moron.