Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: is it just me?  (Read 1406 times)

likeitmatters

• View Profile
is it just me?
« on: July 23, 2008, 06:13:28 PM »
why, oh why, do people want to post topics along these lines...

179/3.98 Where can i get in???

are you serious?  go away!  you can get in at almost every single school, depending on when you apply and how good your essay is.  IMO, ppl post those just to brag about their score/grades. 

(i'm not talking about the ppl who have more "normal" or average scores/grades.)

ah, i feel much better.  :)

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 08:16:26 PM »
if they are that smart then let them do their own research. 
University of Oklahoma '11

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 08:53:28 PM »

hear anything back from OU yet? 

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 10:29:51 PM »

hear anything back from OU yet? 

Spoke with admissions last week and she told me that "they are where they need to be right now".  Which I take to mean that as people get of waitlists at Colorado, SMU, UT, Houston, and other higher ranked schools they might get around to calling me if enough people withdraw or don't show up for orientation.  I am actually looking at townhouses tomorrow in Fayetteville...gotta make plans.
University of Oklahoma '11

studymaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 12:16:03 AM »
why, oh why, do people want to post topics along these lines...

179/3.98 Where can i get in???

are you serious?  go away!  you can get in at almost every single school, depending on when you apply and how good your essay is.  IMO, ppl post those just to brag about their score/grades. 

(i'm not talking about the ppl who have more "normal" or average scores/grades.)

ah, i feel much better.  :)
Im not sure if I am guilty of this or not. 177 sure, but my 3.55 gpa kinda blows. So I will sit here and scowl at the peopkle who do it (and assume I am not included)
It is whispered that soon, if we all heed the call, the piper will lead us to reason.

likeitmatters

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 11:01:02 AM »
nah, you've got an awesome lsat score (congrats!), but while your gpa is very good, it may or may not be competetive at the top schools.  i get irritated with the ppl who have almost perfect EVERYTHING and still want ppl to tell them where they can get in.  you're good tho, scowl away!  i'll help   >:(

just some guy

• Sr. Citizen
  • WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 11:03:48 AM »
Does anyone else hate it when people post threads with utterly non-descriptive titles which give no hint to the actual topic? Is it just me?

That's a no-brainer.
I have courted the fire for a very long time, and many sparks have flown in the past, but [this post] speaks, finally, the language of the flame itself.
with apologies to Keith Jarret

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 11:52:34 AM »
I kind of like "pet peeve" threads though.   ;)  Sometimes they can be funny.

likeitmatters

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 07:33:14 PM »
wow, didn't realize people were going to freak out about my comment.  if you don't like "self-righteous threads with misplaced indignation" then go ahead and take your own advice, pal.  DON'T READ THEM.  like maddie said, its just me commenting on a pet peeve.

i dont really believe that ppl post that BS for the reasons you've listed.  if you're insecure, join the club.  if you don't understand or are unfamiliar with the admissions process, why the heck would you come onto a forum like this?  its the blind leading the blind on here.  that's like going onto a medical forum to ask what your diagnosis might be.  if you really want to know, go ask the professionals.  granted, there are a few people on this board that might have more knowledge or experience, but i honestly don't believe that those people are frequenting the "Pre-Law" board all that often.  have doubt? check it out- http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,22.msg2147346.html#msg2147346

i do understand that nervous feeling you get right after you send in your ap's, and you start thinking to yourself, 'omg do i even have the smallest chance of getting in??'.  i get that, i really do.  i've gone thru it and i know it sucks (although at this point in your cycle, very few schools are accepting ap's, so i'm not sure how many ppl that applies to...).

ppl know where they have a chance of getting in, whether your scores are amazing or amazingly crappy.  if you don't, then you need to do a lot more research, and FAST, cuz its almost time for applications to be sent in.  if you want to apply, but aren't sure if you can get in, DO IT ANYWAYS.  sure, you'll be paying another application fee, but its worth it, whether you get accepted or not.  if you get in, sweet!  if you get denied, at least you won't be left wondering.  in fact, get ready to apply as soon as humanly possible cuz it will increase your chances of getting accepted. 

the whole "179/4.0" posts are the LSD equivilent of a girl asking "am i fat?". 

Dionysus0

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 01:58:49 AM »
People may get mad at this thread because it should be in the Haterade/Off topic forums... But that is really that is a no brainer. 8)