Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: IP Law  (Read 726 times)

Mori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
IP Law
« on: July 23, 2008, 05:31:12 PM »
What schools would you recommend for someone who is interested in Patent Law? I have a fair idea of what schools I should aim for, but my LSDAS GPA blows, so it all hinges on my LSAT score.

Also, how important is the name/prestige of the law school you attend, for someone wanting to practice IP law? And any idea of how competitive the job market is in this specialization?
LSN

"Congrats - you'll be the feminine hygiene product non trad gunner who everyone hates" -
Lollypotter

qmmm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: IP Law
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 06:04:50 PM »
What degree(s) do you have, and what area(s) are they in?  We're talking patent prosecution, right?

Mori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 06:46:49 PM »
B.S Biological Sciences, B.A Sociology and a PhD in Molecular&Cellular Pharmacology (emphasis in Cancer & Diabetes linkage)

Patent prosecution, litigation, interferences; the whole gamut.

I will also be taking the Patent bar sometime in late Feb/March...hopefully that will help secure a good summer associate position. 
LSN

"Congrats - you'll be the feminine hygiene product non trad gunner who everyone hates" -
Lollypotter

qmmm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 01:25:36 AM »
1) prosecution =/= litigation or IP transactions.  The PhD will arose a lot of interest for prosecution in and of itself, but for lit or trans work it's more about law school attended + law school grades in the beginning.

2) getting your PTO bar number before you look for 1L summer jobs is huge!  Someone will take a bite, b/c a busy group will actually be able to make money off of you for the summer unlike most of the other summers.

3) even if you really aren't interested in prosecution, try to find a prosecution group in the area of your law school if possible for the 1L year.  You will have a chance to work your 2 and 3L years making some decent cash at the place you summered as a 1L or possibly another shop.

4) be prepared for firms to only want you for prosecution.  you can immediately make them money and they know that.  if you want to do litigation or transactional work in the tech sector, you'll have to fight, perhaps harder than a non-phd, to get experience in that area.

5) if you work for a big firm as an associate, you can't do primarily prosecution for an entire career.  the numbers just don't make sense b/c you'll price yourself out of the market.  eventually you'll be doing lit support (ie claim construction or infringement opinions), trans work (ie due diligence or licensing), or bringing in clients for junior attorneys.  Or you'll go to a boutique where the overhead is lower.

6) you should target schools in areas where there's a lot of IP patent work going on (in no particular order): Boston, NY, DC, Chicago, SF/SV, and San Diego.

7) since you've got the phd, I wouldn't worry so much about the GPA.  You can't do anything about it and it's a long time ago.  just do your best on the lsat and get some good recs from people who know you now.

8) you could even consider a PT while working as a patent agent during the day.  Personally, I'd worry about getting into school first than worrying about finding a job.  but there are shops that'll pay a good bit of your tuition in addition to a salary.  But be wary of any contractual obligations to work for them after you graduate.

9) the school you go to and the grades you get in law school will matter.  But a phd + jd is a pretty rare combo so that in and of itself will open some doors b/c IP groups are one of the most profitable groups in a firm right now.

Mori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 02:24:56 AM »
This was by far the most comprehensive and intelligent answer I have ever received on this issue. Thank you so much for your insight and advice.

I live in Chicago, so Chicago schools would be great, but I am also really keen to head out to DC (I know a couple of Patent attorneys at Finnegan Henderson who have offered me help). Also, PT would be a definite option for me, if I pass the patent bar :P

Thanks again!
LSN

Lollypotter

Connelly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 12:46:57 PM »
This was by far the most comprehensive and intelligent answer I have ever received on this issue.

Agreed; that was a great response.