Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am i a URM?  (Read 1733 times)

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
Re: Am i a URM?
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 06:53:02 PM »
I am Armenian, there is a couple of us left in this world. What are my chances as far as being a URM?

No.

I mean, I might mention it, but Armenians are still caucasian.  Plus, I would imagine your name immediately indicates that you are Armenian.  (ian, yan suffixes)  
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 08:34:08 PM »
I am Armenian, there is a couple of us left in this world. What are my chances as far as being a URM?

none.  there are five in my class alone.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 08:54:44 PM »
URM = African American or Native American.

Nothing else *really* matters.  Some schools care if you are Hispanic, others don't.  (And none care unless you are Mexican or Puerto Rican.)  You might get a couple of extra points (1 or 2) on the LSAT if you are Hispanic, but that's it.  I don't think being Asian American helps or hurts you.

I don't think this is true at all. Yes, AA's and NA's may get a larger boost, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as all that.

URM really does mean under represented. If a school doesn't have a large representation of a certain group, they may very well be willing to look past the applicant's numbers. At the very least, it could keep an applicant from being an auto-reject.

It might take you out of auto-reject, but realistically AA's and NA's get a SIGNIFICANTLY larger boost than Hispanics.  I'm not saying that's good or bad, just saying.  Check LSN.  Hispanics get a tiny boost, but it's nothing compared to the other groups, and it's nothing compared to the boosts Hispanics get for UG.

Dee doesn't need to check LSN...she's hispanic and participated in last year's cycle with mucho success.

Columbia 3L

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 09:10:35 PM »
URM = African American or Native American.

Nothing else *really* matters.  Some schools care if you are Hispanic, others don't.  (And none care unless you are Mexican or Puerto Rican.)  You might get a couple of extra points (1 or 2) on the LSAT if you are Hispanic, but that's it.  I don't think being Asian American helps or hurts you.

I don't think this is true at all. Yes, AA's and NA's may get a larger boost, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as all that.

URM really does mean under represented. If a school doesn't have a large representation of a certain group, they may very well be willing to look past the applicant's numbers. At the very least, it could keep an applicant from being an auto-reject.

It might take you out of auto-reject, but realistically AA's and NA's get a SIGNIFICANTLY larger boost than Hispanics.  I'm not saying that's good or bad, just saying.  Check LSN.  Hispanics get a tiny boost, but it's nothing compared to the other groups, and it's nothing compared to the boosts Hispanics get for UG.

Dee doesn't need to check LSN...she's hispanic and participated in last year's cycle with mucho success.

That's great to hear; but I think that if anyone checks LSN they will see that the more drastic cases for Hispanics are relative outliers, whereas it is way more common to see drastic cases of out of the norm acceptances with AAs or NAs.

I'm Hispanic as well, and I'm sure it helped my cycle to an extent but AAs with the same numbers as me did light years better.

I'm opposed to Affirmative Action in general, so I'm not complaining per se.  I'm just making an observation for future applicants to put their numbers in perspective.

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 10:34:29 PM »
I'm just making an observation for future applicants to put their numbers in perspective.

Everyone should keep their numbers in perspective and not assume anything. Because it's not a guaranteed bump for all AA's or NA's either. But I still disagree that the boost for Hispanics is as small as you're making it out to be, and I don't necessarily think LSN is representative of URM's experience. Also different schools view Hispanics differently (some do seem to only give a boost to Mexicans, others are broader). 

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 12:05:20 AM »
I'm just making an observation for future applicants to put their numbers in perspective.

Everyone should keep their numbers in perspective and not assume anything. Because it's not a guaranteed bump for all AA's or NA's either. But I still disagree that the boost for Hispanics is as small as you're making it out to be, and I don't necessarily think LSN is representative of URM's experience. Also different schools view Hispanics differently (some do seem to only give a boost to Mexicans, others are broader). 

I guess it could be that I just applied to all of the schools in America that did not need Puerto Ricans.  :)

All kidding aside, where I saw the most pronounced difference between myself and a non-URM applicant was in scholarship offers rather than acceptances, which is admittedly not a trivial difference.  I feel like my acceptances were all basically ballpark for my numbers, but I was offered more money at some places than I feel my numbers warranted.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 01:32:32 PM »
Armenians are definitely not URM. Unlike most white America, you actually ARE Caucasian (I'm sorry that word is so ridiculous, I'm not from the Caucuses therefore why should I be identified as Caucasian?)

If I'm from the island of Manhattan and am generally a peaceful person, then I am a Pacific Islander, no?

:D Nice.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 07:01:53 PM »
Armenians are definitely not URM. Unlike most white America, you actually ARE Caucasian (I'm sorry that word is so ridiculous, I'm not from the Caucuses therefore why should I be identified as Caucasian?)

If I'm from the island of Manhattan and am generally a peaceful person, then I am a Pacific Islander, no?

yankee fans are by definition urms, right?
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD