Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am i a URM?  (Read 1773 times)

jaymovement

• View Profile
Am i a URM?
« on: July 23, 2008, 02:47:59 PM »
Filipino American here.  8)

I have a low gpa (2.8)...taking the LSAT in October and shooting for a 179+

at this point anything can help.

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Am i a URM?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 02:54:59 PM »
If you get a 179+ on the LSAT, it's not going to matter whether you're an URM.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 03:01:42 PM »
How far above 179 do you think you'll be able to go?
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Mori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 03:21:45 PM »
You may be a minority but that doesn't mean you are a URM.  URM = Mexican/Native American/African American. From what I understand, Asian/Pacific Islander are not given preference as they are heavily represented in universities.
LSN

"Congrats - you'll be the feminine hygiene product non trad gunner who everyone hates" -
Lollypotter

aporia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 05:17:13 PM »
From what I understand, Asian/Pacific Islander are not given preference as they are heavily represented in universities.

I think this is true with Asians, but not so much with Pacific Islanders.  You might be able to get some mileage out of being a Pinoy (Pinay?) if you can make a compelling case in your diversity statement.
Columbia 2011

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 05:20:53 PM »
URM = African American or Native American.

Nothing else *really* matters.  Some schools care if you are Hispanic, others don't.  (And none care unless you are Mexican or Puerto Rican.)  You might get a couple of extra points (1 or 2) on the LSAT if you are Hispanic, but that's it.  I don't think being Asian American helps or hurts you.

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 05:24:55 PM »

Nothing else *really* matters.  Some schools care if you are Hispanic, others don't.  (And none care unless you are Mexican or Puerto Rican.)  You might get a couple of extra points (1 or 2) on the LSAT if you are Hispanic, but that's it.  I don't think being Asian American helps or hurts you.

I don't think this is true at all. Yes, AA's and NA's may get a larger boost, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as all that.

URM really does mean under represented. If a school doesn't have a large representation of a certain group, they may very well be willing to look past the applicant's numbers. At the very least, it could keep an applicant from being an auto-reject.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 05:27:20 PM »
if you have to ask, then no.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

excidy

• Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • MSN Messenger - tiratsuyan@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Me on MYSPACES
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 06:40:25 PM »
I am Armenian, there is a couple of us left in this world. What are my chances as far as being a URM?

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 06:51:54 PM »

I don't think this is true at all. Yes, AA's and NA's may get a larger boost, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as all that.

URM really does mean under represented. If a school doesn't have a large representation of a certain group, they may very well be willing to look past the applicant's numbers. At the very least, it could keep an applicant from being an auto-reject.

It might take you out of auto-reject, but realistically AA's and NA's get a SIGNIFICANTLY larger boost than Hispanics.  I'm not saying that's good or bad, just saying.  Check LSN.  Hispanics get a tiny boost, but it's nothing compared to the other groups, and it's nothing compared to the boosts Hispanics get for UG.