Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chances of black 3.57, 169 from UCLA getting into T 14?  (Read 21828 times)

SwEep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Chances of black 3.57, 159 from Yale getting into T 14?
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 04:51:22 PM »
I'm a black history major at Yale with a 3.57 and a 159. Though I'm taking the LSAT again in October, do you know what chances I have currently to get into a T 14 (preferably Columbia, UPenn, and Georgetown)? Also, does anyone know what the average LSAT scores are for minority (specifically black) applicants?

u r black.

in at all

SwEep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
I'm a black history major at Yale with a 3.57 and a 159. Though I'm taking the LSAT again in October, do you know what chances I have currently to get into a T 14 (preferably Columbia, UPenn, and Georgetown)? Also, does anyone know what the average LSAT scores are for minority (specifically black) applicants?

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 10:30:59 PM »

I'm not even going to bother to read this thread b/c I have zero tolerance for the asinine comments I'm sure your post elicited.    I think your LSAT is low, and you definitely need to re-take with serious exam prep.  This is not an intelligence test; you can totally learn the tricks to master the exam.  How are you prepping?  I recommend Powerscore.  (Search the board for more info.)  Self-study was my route, but if I had been an undergraduate student when I applied to LS, I definitely would've used all that extra time and energy (which I know you think you don't have, but trust me, you do) to take the course. 

How have you been studying since your first exam?  If you haven't been on a serious plan, I suggest you postpone the Oct. test and take it in....December? (the details of the LSAT seem like a distant memory now that I'm a 2L).  As for your GPA, it's decent enough that you should have options if you can up your LSAT.  The GPA is not stellar, but you are at Yale.  Unless Yale has serious grade inflation issues (a subject on which I'm uninformed), your 3.57 isn't the equivalent of that same score at some other institutions.

Anyway, good luck to you with your re-test and law school admissions cycle!
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

BJWriter26

Re: Chances of black 3.57, 169 from UCLA getting into T 14?
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 10:45:45 PM »
Okay. Yeah, I've basically been doing practice exams and study books every day since the beginning of September. Do you have any specific suggestions for how to study/organize my time? Also, do you mind me asking what your stats were to get into HLS (you can PM me if you want).

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2008, 11:01:52 PM »
As for structuring your time, I'm sure there are good posts up here about that.  I've probably written one at some point.  I will try to find it and link it to you b/c it's too late to try and type all that out right now.  If I don't send it to you by tomorrow, remind me.  Basic gist: At this point, make sure you're taking timed tests.  Block out the 3? hrs. and sit down with your timer and take the test in one sitting under real conditions (e.g. no tv, radio, interruptions, etc.)  Most importantly -- go over every single answer you got wrong and figure out *why.*  Practice, practice, practice.  Review, review, review.  That's my basic advice in a nutshell.  The night before the test, don't stress.  Do very little studying if any at all.  Get a good night's sleep, have a good breakfast in the a.m., and go rock that test!!!!

As for stats, I don't share personal info over the internet.  I wouldn't spend your time worrying about who got what and who went where though.  You're going to find black students below the 25th percentile and above the 75th percentile at every competitive law school.  And contrary to what the hype on this board would lead you to believe, you're also going to find white students below the 25th percentile and above the 75th percentile at every major law school, too.  At this stage in the game, just focus on upping your LSAT and putting together a really strong application.  If you do, you will have great options!
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2008, 01:22:29 AM »
In re-reading my posts, I just realized that I didn't give the OP any advice.

I'm glad to hear that you're retaking.

Basically, logical reasoning tests six different skills (i.e., finding the assumption, strengthening the argument, weakening the argument, etc). The most important thing is reading the question, understanding what skill is being tested and applying the strategies to attack the question type. So if I were you, I'd get the logic reasoning bible and learn the question types and how to attack the questions. Also, I had a problem with time on logical reasoning when I initially started taking the test. The problem was that the end of the section would always have the last 3 or 4 questions be really hard and I'd run out of time. What I did to remedy the problem was to do the LR section backwards. I'd start with the last question and work my way down to the first question.  This had two benefits: 1) I had enough time and 2) I started with the most difficult questions so my brain immediately was prepared to think about the questions at a high level. Indeed, mastering logical reasoning is simply a matter of learning strategies and applying them while figuring out the best way to manage the time limitations you are faced with. Easier said than done, but practice + the bible will help.

I loved reading comprehension, but this is where time really matters. You have to attack science passages in a certain way, you have to attack humanties passages in a certain way, history passages in a certain way, etc. When you practice, look for the similarities in the question types in the science passages for example. They are recurring. I can't explain it now, but if you search for some 2006 RC threads, there's lots of advice that a bunch of us compiled about RC.

Ok, games...games was my weakest section when I started and it became my strength at test time. What I did was make 10 copies of every single game ever tested and I did them all the time. Over and over and over and over again. Eventually, I knew the right answers to the questions, but the focus wasn't on the right answer...it was on the process to get the right answer. How to diagram quickly and correctly. How to see the relationships and make inferences. Practicing games over and over again will make it second nature. When I started practicing the LSAT, I'd routinely run out of time and get something like 15 or 16 out of 24 wrong. When I took the test, I had something like 10 minutes to spare and didn't miss any.

Oh and with your current stats, you'll probably get into UVA, Northwestern, Cornell and maybe Georgetown. You're going to want to get into the mid 160s to have a shot at Umich, Harvard, Columbia, NYU, etc.
YLS c/o 2009

william1900

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2009, 11:30:01 PM »
User has been banned due to spamming

-PJC

exgratia

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2010, 04:03:11 PM »
An AA with those numbers, provided that everything else is in order, will likely get into Yale. The question is should you go somewhere where your numbers aren't as 75% of the students. How are you going to make top-10%?

ipscientific

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2012, 10:45:25 PM »
See title

I think they are great numbers. You should get in.