Law School Discussion

Chances of black 3.57, 169 from UCLA getting into T 14?

Re: Chances of black 3.57, 159 from Yale getting into T 14?
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 10:12:55 AM »
oh i get it.  a legacy should get in with sub-par scores, but a URM should not?  makes perfect sense.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 10:26:56 PM »

The SCOTUS AA case revealed stat indicating that a number of african americans with high 150 scores got into UVA.

Isn't that wonderful.  I had a 163 and I didn't get in, despite being a legacy and having an above-average GPA.  I guess my skin was the wrong color.  I sure am glad Americans don't discriminate anymore, that would be bad.

Unintentional humor or well-developed sense of irony? victimhood despite apparent privileges.

^fixt

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 10:58:01 PM »
Except you have some EXCEPTIONAL reason why you should get into a T14 school, I don't see why you should be admitted to these schools because you are black. If you have what it takes,kudos, if you don't suck it up and move on. By the way, I'm black.

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 09:49:56 AM »
Except you have some EXCEPTIONAL reason why you should get into a T14 school, I don't see why you should be admitted to these schools because you are black. If you have what it takes,kudos, if you don't suck it up and move on. By the way, I'm black.

Do you want a cookie?

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 10:25:23 AM »

Do you want a cookie?

I'd prefer chocolate chip, please!

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 11:07:14 AM »
by the way, i'm black.  that should be pattycakes new sn.  and the last line of his/her personal statement. 

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 02:27:36 PM »

The SCOTUS AA case revealed stat indicating that a number of african americans with high 150 scores got into UVA.

Isn't that wonderful.  I had a 163 and I didn't get in, despite being a legacy and having an above-average GPA.  I guess my skin was the wrong color.  I sure am glad Americans don't discriminate anymore, that would be bad.

Unintentional humor or well-developed sense of irony? victimhood despite apparent privileges.

^fixt

<3 <3 <3

ssas

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 01:27:24 AM »
oh i get it.  a legacy should get in with sub-par scores, but a URM should not?  makes perfect sense.

Because an URM should get in with sub-par scores but a legacy shouldn't? Makes perfect sense.

Let's all play the circular logic game. Or maybe figure out that one ridiculous standard doesn't make another ridiculous standard acceptable.

ssas

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 01:29:43 AM »

^fixt changed from one ridiculous viewpoint to another even more ridiculous viewpoint

Oh, look at how I can play this game too. Fixt. ^^;;

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 05:35:14 AM »

^fixt changed from one ridiculous viewpoint to another even more ridiculous viewpoint

Oh, look at how I can play this game too. Fixt. ^^;;

What makes my perspective on the matter "even more ridiculous"?  Absent some significant personal achievements or special characteristics, an applicant with a 163/"above-average GPA" is, at best, a marginal candidate at UVA.  (I believe the middle 50% LSAT range is 167-170.)  NoUsername's expectation that s/he should get in because s/he is a legacy reveals not only privilege (as a relative of someone who attended this elite institution*) but also an outsize sense of entitlement.  Why should s/he get in just because another marginal candidate did?  Surely there are plenty of legacy applicants with higher scores or who have something to say about themselves other than their relatives' accomplishments.  There are also plenty of people with higher numerical credentials who were rejected.

*UVA, by the way, admitted its first black student in 1950.