Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chances of black 3.57, 169 from UCLA getting into T 14?  (Read 22353 times)

eruffin

• View Profile
Re: Chances of black 3.57, 159 from Yale getting into T 14?
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 03:40:35 PM »
Regarding Op's question: "does anyone know what the average LSAT scores are for minority (specifically black) applicants?"

LSAC has research reports that break down LSAT results by race, gender, region etc.

http://www.lsacnet.org/Research/LSAT-Performance-Regional-Gender-Racial-Ethic-Breakdowns.pdf

This data is a bit old (from the mid-90's) but the average score for a black test taker in 1997-98 was 141.8.  This data of course encompasses all black test takers; I imagine school by school breakdowns like this would be impossible to find.  The complete breakdown by ethnic group is on page 19 of the pdf.

Not to be cheeky, but asking things like "Why not CLS/Penn?" with your stats invites posters to rail against AA.
3.65, 175

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 10:48:30 AM »
because you have a 159 and a 3.57. duh.

no need to be rude.

It's a fair response, given the context.  Obviously his numbers would be the likely reason for any rejection.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 10:49:42 AM »

The SCOTUS AA case revealed stat indicating that a number of african americans with high 150 scores got into UVA.

Isn't that wonderful.  I had a 163 and I didn't get in, despite being a legacy and having an above-average GPA.  I guess my skin was the wrong color.  I sure am glad Americans don't discriminate anymore, that would be bad.

In all fairness, you wouldn't have gotten in even if there were no AA. 

snarkygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 12:12:55 PM »
oh i get it.  a legacy should get in with sub-par scores, but a URM should not?  makes perfect sense.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 12:26:56 AM »

The SCOTUS AA case revealed stat indicating that a number of african americans with high 150 scores got into UVA.

Isn't that wonderful.  I had a 163 and I didn't get in, despite being a legacy and having an above-average GPA.  I guess my skin was the wrong color.  I sure am glad Americans don't discriminate anymore, that would be bad.

Unintentional humor or well-developed sense of irony? victimhood despite apparent privileges.

^fixt
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Pattycake

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 12:58:01 AM »
Except you have some EXCEPTIONAL reason why you should get into a T14 school, I don't see why you should be admitted to these schools because you are black. If you have what it takes,kudos, if you don't suck it up and move on. By the way, I'm black.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 11:49:56 AM »
Except you have some EXCEPTIONAL reason why you should get into a T14 school, I don't see why you should be admitted to these schools because you are black. If you have what it takes,kudos, if you don't suck it up and move on. By the way, I'm black.

Do you want a cookie?
YLS c/o 2009

Pattycake

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 12:25:23 PM »

Do you want a cookie?

I'd prefer chocolate chip, please!

snarkygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 01:07:14 PM »
by the way, i'm black.  that should be pattycakes new sn.  and the last line of his/her personal statement. 

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 04:27:36 PM »

Unintentional humor or well-developed sense of irony? victimhood despite apparent privileges.

^fixt

<3 <3 <3
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French