Specific Groups / Issues > Affirmative Action

Chances of black 3.57, 169 from UCLA getting into T 14?

<< < (8/8)

Kirk Lazarus:
In re-reading my posts, I just realized that I didn't give the OP any advice.

I'm glad to hear that you're retaking.

Basically, logical reasoning tests six different skills (i.e., finding the assumption, strengthening the argument, weakening the argument, etc). The most important thing is reading the question, understanding what skill is being tested and applying the strategies to attack the question type. So if I were you, I'd get the logic reasoning bible and learn the question types and how to attack the questions. Also, I had a problem with time on logical reasoning when I initially started taking the test. The problem was that the end of the section would always have the last 3 or 4 questions be really hard and I'd run out of time. What I did to remedy the problem was to do the LR section backwards. I'd start with the last question and work my way down to the first question.  This had two benefits: 1) I had enough time and 2) I started with the most difficult questions so my brain immediately was prepared to think about the questions at a high level. Indeed, mastering logical reasoning is simply a matter of learning strategies and applying them while figuring out the best way to manage the time limitations you are faced with. Easier said than done, but practice + the bible will help.

I loved reading comprehension, but this is where time really matters. You have to attack science passages in a certain way, you have to attack humanties passages in a certain way, history passages in a certain way, etc. When you practice, look for the similarities in the question types in the science passages for example. They are recurring. I can't explain it now, but if you search for some 2006 RC threads, there's lots of advice that a bunch of us compiled about RC.

Ok, games...games was my weakest section when I started and it became my strength at test time. What I did was make 10 copies of every single game ever tested and I did them all the time. Over and over and over and over again. Eventually, I knew the right answers to the questions, but the focus wasn't on the right answer...it was on the process to get the right answer. How to diagram quickly and correctly. How to see the relationships and make inferences. Practicing games over and over again will make it second nature. When I started practicing the LSAT, I'd routinely run out of time and get something like 15 or 16 out of 24 wrong. When I took the test, I had something like 10 minutes to spare and didn't miss any.

Oh and with your current stats, you'll probably get into UVA, Northwestern, Cornell and maybe Georgetown. You're going to want to get into the mid 160s to have a shot at Umich, Harvard, Columbia, NYU, etc.

william1900:
User has been banned due to spamming

-PJC

exgratia:
An AA with those numbers, provided that everything else is in order, will likely get into Yale. The question is should you go somewhere where your numbers aren't as 75% of the students. How are you going to make top-10%?

ipscientific:

--- Quote from: BJWriter26 on July 23, 2008, 02:31:35 PM ---See title

--- End quote ---

I think they are great numbers. You should get in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version