Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: International Law  (Read 611 times)

arlhello

• View Profile
    • LSN
International Law
« on: July 23, 2008, 10:57:25 AM »
Does anybody know which schools have good international law?  I've gotten these from different rankings:

NYU
Yale
Columbia
Georgetown
Michigan
Harvard
Texas
Berkeley
Cornell
George Washington
Northwestern
Chicago
Virginia
American
Duke
Stanford
UCLA
Iowa
Penn
Emory
Hastings
Minnesota

Does anybody know any others?  Are there any T3 schools that are known for international law?  I've heard McGeorge is good, and I suspect George Mason should be right up there as well.

California_RedRaider

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: International Law
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 11:19:03 AM »
I don't know if it's actually "good" per say but Santa Clara has a lot of opportunities to study abroad and even internship abroad all over the world during the summer time. I would think legal internships abroad would be fantastic in this case. If I understand correctly their International Law Program is pretty solid and the location in Silicon Valley brings in a lot of interesting international dynamics.

I don't know if it makes a difference either but I believe I read somewhere that they're one of the more diverse campuses with a decent number of international students as well.

Something to look at.

AmericanGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Huge soccer fan, obviously...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 02:34:08 PM »
for your own safety, stay out of T3. You'll thank yourself later. However, Santa Clara is an awesome option if you want to work in Silicon Valley. Everyone in that area knows the school. If you want to work anywhere else, not so much.

The more I ask around, the more I find out that lawyers (especially in biglaw and high-profile PI jobs) are prestige whores. Do what you need to do to get into a top school, no matter what it's subject area rankings are.
"Please stop using obscenities in front of these people, or I'll be forced to thrash you."

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 02:43:53 PM »
#1. Sorry if I sounds like a jerk, but could you please first define what you think "international law" is?

#2. Plenty of T3 schools will teach you the various subjects within international law just fine- probably just as well, or better than the top schools. The problem is those T3 schools will make it extremely difficult to actually get an opportunity to practice in the field.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 03:00:49 PM »
As I understand it, international law is one of the hardest fields of law to break into and a ton of people seem to want to get into it. As a result, I have to agree with everyone saying to stay out of the T3.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

nike6075

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 03:05:05 PM »
Does anybody know which schools have good international law?  I've gotten these from different rankings:

NYU
Yale
Columbia
Georgetown
Michigan
Harvard
Texas
Berkeley
Cornell
George Washington
Northwestern
Chicago
Virginia
American
Duke
Stanford
UCLA
Iowa
Penn
Emory
Hastings
Minnesota

Does anybody know any others?  Are there any T3 schools that are known for international law?  I've heard McGeorge is good, and I suspect George Mason should be right up there as well.

wtf is international law?
dont worry guys, i had lotsof drinks, and now i feel better. hth.