Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PS- Beginning to draft...have basic questions!  (Read 512 times)

Blair180

• View Profile
PS- Beginning to draft...have basic questions!
« on: July 23, 2008, 10:57:11 AM »
I am taking a vacation week next week to study for LSAT and draft my personal statement and send out requests for LORs. I am wondering how tailored your PS should be regarding the school you are applying. Do you do a lot of research per school or do people generally send the same one to all the schools?

2. Do you have to submit your personal statement through the LSAC site or do you mail it in with your paper application?

3. Should you attach a picture with your personal statement even if they don't ask for one?

4. I am a 21 year old traditional student with no "traumatic" events to focus on. Pretty much your average person and I'm having a problem coming up with a topic. I've interned at several law firms, but nothing that led to a drastic realization of me wanting to become a lawyer. I also don't know what kind of law I want to practice, but I am interested in several avenues. Not really sure a topic!! Everyone seems to of written about living abroad, overcoming diversity, etc.

5. Is it okay to try and be humorous? There was an earthquake on the day i was visiting a potential school and I thought I could say something funny about it...

6. You're supposed to send in your resume with your app too, right? So there isn't a need to mention all the things you did because they'll see it anyway?
GPA: 3.88 LSAT: 160

hopkins

• View Profile
Re: PS- Beginning to draft...have basic questions!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 11:40:58 AM »
You've inspired me to stop being a lurker...  But take my advice with a grain of salt; I'm sure there are others on the board that may have better answers for you.

1. Yes and no.  Depends on the school and where it is on your list (aka how much you want it).  Some schools ask for more specific PS topics than others.

2. I would electronically submit the app.  Personal pref (and typically schools feel the same).  And yes, you upload your PS to LSAC.

3. No.

4. I can't help you here, but don't forget: there's nothing wrong with being an everyday hero.  You don't have to write about adversity to be interesting.

5. Yes, if it's relevant to who you are and the picture of yourself that you're trying to portray.  No matter what you write, make sure it ties into the theme of YOU.

6. Every school I applied to asked for one.  Just make sure you read each school's specific set of directions, and you'll be fine.  Oh, and no.  Don't write an essay that's basically your resume in prose.  What a waste of space that you could use to share with them additional information about how great you are!

Hope that little bit helps.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
Re: PS- Beginning to draft...have basic questions!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 02:07:29 PM »
You've inspired me to stop being a lurker...  But take my advice with a grain of salt; I'm sure there are others on the board that may have better answers for you.

1. Yes and no.  Depends on the school and where it is on your list (aka how much you want it).  Some schools ask for more specific PS topics than others.

2. I would electronically submit the app.  Personal pref (and typically schools feel the same).  And yes, you upload your PS to LSAC.

3. No.

4. I can't help you here, but don't forget: there's nothing wrong with being an everyday hero.  You don't have to write about adversity to be interesting.

5. Yes, if it's relevant to who you are and the picture of yourself that you're trying to portray.  No matter what you write, make sure it ties into the theme of YOU.

6. Every school I applied to asked for one.  Just make sure you read each school's specific set of directions, and you'll be fine.  Oh, and no.  Don't write an essay that's basically your resume in prose.  What a waste of space that you could use to share with them additional information about how great you are!

Hope that little bit helps.

Excellent first post.  Welcome!
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."