Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Resume for Transfers?  (Read 1309 times)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Resume for Transfers?
« on: July 23, 2008, 10:27:46 AM »
How are you transfers listing the change in the Educaton section on your resume?

I was thinking maybe something like this?

ABC LAW SCHOOL, City, State         
J.D. Anticipated, DATE
   Transferred after first year at XYZ SCHOOL OF LAW

XYZ SCHOOL OF LAW, City, State               
Attended DATE - DATE
   XYZ Journal of Underwater Basket Weaving Litigation Member
   Dean's List, Top X%.....

DFG College, City, State         
B.S. 2006 
   etc. etc. etc.

Thoughts? Any advice on this?
Vanderbilt 2010

joshuaputman

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Resume for Transfers?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 08:28:21 PM »
Hey Julie,

I work for the Human Resources department at a fairly large municipality and hire for the law department and pro. department.  When I am reviewing resumes I am not that interested in the transfer, just where you graduated from.  I would leave it off completely.  My question would be why does it matter where you spent your first year? 

random2341

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:50:14 PM »
we're talking about job hunting for 2L summer, not post-graduation. with no mention of your previous school and GPA/honors, employers would have nothing to go on.

justuskuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 04:59:25 PM »
we're talking about job hunting for 2L summer, not post-graduation. with no mention of your previous school and GPA/honors, employers would have nothing to go on.

This is correct.  I'd just consult the new school's career services office and get exactly what they prefer.  But all the examples I have seen from schools are fairly similar to the examples by the OP.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 07:59:40 PM »
This has been covered before. The HR person's advice is wrong for this. Use the search function.

pd112aux

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 08:52:45 PM »

Note that the bolded is irrelevant.

http://www.usdoj.gov/olp/jarvey.htm
http://www.usdoj.gov/olp/kethledge.htm

random2341

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 02:01:25 AM »
yes, make careful not of the above, randomly chosen links to resumes of people who are candidates for major federal judgeships and model your resume thereafter.

pd112aux

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 05:20:45 PM »
yes, make careful not of the above, randomly chosen links to resumes of people who are candidates for major federal judgeships and model your resume thereafter.

You don't seem to understand the relevance of those examples.  Those individuals, as you noted, are candidates for major federal judgeships.  Yet regardless of their accomplishments and the length of time for which they have been out of school, and past 2L summer, OLP deemed it necessary to present an accurate delineation of their academic background.  So even if you do not agree that such information is noteworthy, you should at least realize that your (prospective) employers do.