Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: "How the 'Cravath System' Created the Bi-Modal Distribution "  (Read 4291 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: "How the 'Cravath System' Created the Bi-Modal Distribution "
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 09:40:22 AM »
I saw that yesterday on Above the Law.  I'm waiting to read it after the bar (about 1 week and 7 1/2 hours to go...)

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 10:17:47 AM »
Yeah, I saw that on ATL yesterday.  Interesting read, and kinda funny (if it weren't a bit depressing).
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 10:23:56 AM »
the two things that shocked me were: 1) the 1991 associate salary graph v. the 2006 (bimodal) associate salary graph, and 2) the average profits per equity partner in the AM 200 [helllloooo pyramid scheme!]

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 09:12:04 PM »
[helllloooo pyramid scheme!]

I don't think that word means what you think it does

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 09:17:43 PM »

Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 08:46:21 AM »

yeah i know

obviously its not a true pyramid scheme over even resemble an actual one to any huge degree

but you get the idea - you know, 1 epartner maintaining a large base of associates (none of which ever have a legitimate shot at making partner) who then pay a sig % of what they bill back into the partner pool etc etc

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
I don't understand why people think it is a problem for equity partners to make so much.  Last time I checked they are the reason why large law firms get business and make money.  I haven't heard of too many first year associates bringing in tons of business for the firm. 
Boalt Hall '10

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 11:16:07 AM »
I don't understand why people think it is a problem for equity partners to make so much.  Last time I checked they are the reason why large law firms get business and make money.  I haven't heard of too many first year associates bringing in tons of business for the firm.

Wow, a true capitalist there.

At a place like Cravath, however, it works differently. As I understand it, Cravath has lockstep equity partner compensation which means by and large all the partners make the same. So the guy bringing in all the business is making just as much as the service provider partner doing all of the billables. Look, if you're a new partner, that system is great...but if you have an established book of business, that model sucks. Lockstep works for Cravath because they bring in revenues that allow them to pay every partner more than any other firm except for Wachtell. Firms that have lockstep partner compensation that don't bring in Cravath revenues risk losing their best assets to firms which have a more merit based scheme of partner compensation.

The flip side is that a firms greatest asset other than the equity partners are its senior associates and service provider partners. They are great because they have the training and expertise to handle the matters the firm brings in at a high level. If your equity partner compensation based on rainmaking too far exceeds that of the workers, then you risk alienating them and having a less productive firm overall. And unlike replacing 1st and 2nd year associates, replacing the productivity of senior associates and non rainmaking partners becomes prohibitively expensive.

Another thing I'll say about Cravath is that because of their lockstep partnership compensation, it makes it very difficult for Cravath to absorb new partners and still remain competitive. So they bring in like 100 new associates every year and only 1 or 2 will become partner after 8-10 years. Pretty dismal chances in my opinion. So the Cravath model is pretty fascinating in my opinion. On the one hand, they have to motivate associates to work hard and produce, but they can't exactly promise that a reasonably fixed number of them will be rewarded with partnership for doing the best work under the tournament theory. On the other hand, they are still able to attract really smart people to slave for them for compensation that simply mirrors other firms (while these other firms provide equal benefits and better partnership prospects). The only thing I can think of is that 1) Cravath gives former associates significantly better exit opportunities; 2) the training at Cravath is better than at other firms; 3) Most of the new associates going to cravath don't want to be partners anyways; 4) New graduates from the most prestigious schools are naturally attracted to the most prestigious firms.

Explanation 1 seems far fetched, especially as related to other firms in the Vault 15 or so. A senior associate from any of the Vault 15 or so is going to be able to have his picking of lucrative opportunities when they are about to leave. At the margins, a junior associate from Cravath may be able to lateral in to a different firm or GC's office easier than at other Vault 15 firms. Explanation 2 seems equally implausible. I would go so far as to suggest that an average Cravath person (who leaves after 3 years) has less training than at most peer firms. The reason is that associates at Cravath have to work for just one partner for 18 months before rotating to another partner. So you're probably going to be really good at one or two aspects of the law, but it doesn't seem to be sufficiently broad as to indicate great training. Maybe there's an internal debate among candidates with Cravath offers about the benefits of specialization v. being a generalist. Of course, the uncertainty of who the partner you get stuck with, makes the Cravath model much less appealing to me (I wouldn't want to get stuck in Securites for 18 months). The third and fourth explanations are my best guess, but they seem irrational given the unlikely truth of explanation one.

So the Cravath model is extremely interesting to me given that they've been able to sustain themselves as such a world-class firm for so long.
YLS c/o 2009

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 11:29:24 AM »
Galt it's pretty clear you have never gone near Cravath or any other v15 firm.

1) The biggest asset of Cravath is not the rainmaker partners or the younger partners or the senior associates. It's the name. That's the biggest rainmaker and that's why they can do lockstep partnership

2) lockstep does not mean everybody makes the same, it means everybody in a year makes the same.

as for your why do people pick cravath question

you reject reason 1 because the prestige of other v15 firms is as great. However, the problem you identify with Cravath, no chance of making partner, is even greater at other v15 firms, because cravath has unusually low leverage. You also wouldn't worry about being stuck with a securities partner at Cravath for 18 months because their partners are generalists. There are no antitrust partners, there are no securities partners. The parters work on a variety of cases.